Fixed Xiaopan OS 0.4.2 Not Finding Atheros AR9285 Wireless Device

Discussion in 'Xiaopan Support' started by tjl, 27 May 2012.

1. tjl

tjl New Member

When I run xiaopanOS 0.4.2 on my laptop it isn't finding my wireless device, which is an Atheros ar9285. I'm thinking a driver issue, as it isn't the hardware, it works fine in windows for example. Any thoughts/ideas?

and by not finding it I mean, if I go to wifi, it says no wireless devices, if I go to inflator, there is no wireless card to detect, if I go to terminal and do an iwconfig, there is again nothing showing up... just to be clearer.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

Is this a USB card or internal card? If it is an internal card and you are using virtualisation it is not going to work unless you use a live bootable USB. See this thread.

Can you please follow these steps in creating a signature of your hardware and software.

3. tjl

tjl New Member

It is an internal card, and I've been using a live USB not virtualization, when i load up backtrack live dvd it does see my card, but I'm wanting to not use backtrack for other reasons. So I'm not sure what the problem is :s.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Have you tried other versions of Xiaopan and Beini? How did you fare? There has been a reported user named Rili Toma that has got his AR9285 to work. See this thread.

5. IhateTim

IhateTim Active Member

Just wanted to +1 that AR9285 does not work right off the bat with USB & Xiaopan 0.4.2 and 0.4.3.

To get it working, you need to actually load the drivers (why aren't they auto loaded?)
    Code:
    Select All
    modprobe -l | grep ath
    then
    Code:
    Select All
    modprobe ath9k_common /path/to/where/you/put/ath9k_common.ko
    then it finally works.

• Like Like x 3
  6. creezalird

creezalird great disturbance

i tried before with CD live xiaopan 0.4.1 and i can confirm that ar9285 is detected properly together with my rtl8187L. and i tried to use it for wifi scanning and it worked.

7. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Thanks for letting us know. They are in the load folder. I suspect possibly a driver conflict. Although, I have been told it does work off the bat by another user. Go figure o_O

8. MikeJacob

MikeJacob Member

I Have an Internal Atheros Wireless card too. Worked With all the beini 1.2.1, 1.2.2, 1.2.3, 1.2.4 but didn't work with xiaopan 0.4.2.3 cause I have the same problem, now i understand the fix and what i must write in the terminal, But What's the Path? (/path/to/where/you/put/ath9k_common.ko)

9. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

From memory it is the compat-wireless folder. MikeJacob what version are you using?

Need some help from:
    IhateTim
    creezalird
    tjl

Does this command work?
    Code:
    Select All
    locate -i ath9k
    This command might also assist you:
    Code:
    Select All
    sudo lspci | grep Atheros
    Ok, found it. In Beini 1.2.5 it is in:
    Code:
    Select All
    /lib/modules/3.0.21-tinycore/updates/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k

10. MikeJacob

MikeJacob Member

I'm using xiaopan 0.4.2.3 and I found the driver in /lib/modules/3.0.21-tinycore/updates/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k
    but when i put in the path (modprobe ath9k_common /lib/modules/3.0.21-tinycore/updates/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k) It Sais:"modprobe can't load module ath9k_common(/updates/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k/ath9k_common.ko): Unknown Symbole in Module or Unknown parameter"
    P.S: I did preceed it by writing
    modprobe -l | grep ath

11. KoMoDo

KoMoDo New Member

+1 on the whole thing. I'm running XiaoPan 0.4.2.3 on a USB disk drive too. After I did the modprobe - l | grep ath command, it did show up a dir where ath9k_common should be. So I tried that one as well but to no avail.
    I really want to crack some wi-fi's! :) Basically seems like all you need is Inflator ? Will it crack WPA/WPA2 too or just WEP ? (Which, luckily for me is enough)

Also, I saw there's aircrack-ng installed but no aerodump or the other scripts necessary for that script range ?
    Thanks!

12. Fantasma

Fantasma Well-Known Member

KoMoDo I can say what i was saying since the first issue reported with the AR9285 chipset & Xiaopan 0.4.2.2 and 0.4.2.3 If you tried both versions and not work at all, try Xiaopan 0.4.1 i can assure your card will be detected and will work very well. there is a xiaopan 0.4.1 with minidwep-gtk 30419, it includes reaver. it can crack wpa-wpa2 if your network has enabled wps security

13. KoMoDo

KoMoDo New Member

I will try that. What about WEP ? I used aircrack in the past but XiaoPan doesn't seem to cover all the aircrack systems so I need Backtrack but it's too big for my USB disk drive :(

I guess ignore that message, I got Slitaz so I'll try that one for my WEP first.

Ok actually 0.4.1 indeed does work! But minidwep and feedingbottle give me a "No client found" message so it's not going anywhere. What's up with that ? Also, when I set it to WPA it just said it's waiting for a beacon from the AP for like 5 minutes and I figured that's not going anywhere either.

Thanks!

14. Fantasma

With Xiaopan you can easily crack wep with feeding bottle and minidwep. i think minidwep is more easy to use, just a couple clicks and you are done. ;)

15. KoMoDo

KoMoDo New Member

Yep you're right it's super easy but I am barely getting IV's on the thing, not sure if it's my fault or the programs. After over an hour I got like 30 "data" meaning IV's. I ran aireplay with minidwep as well but it doesn't seem to boost the IV's. Advice ?

16. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

What signal strength are you getting at the AP you want to attack? Is injection working? Also it might be a static connection. Meaning the AP isn't using the network as would normally occur during use.

17. KoMoDo

KoMoDo New Member

Between 40-60. What do I need to do to get injection started ? I figured thats aireplay's job. Also, the WPA connection seems to not have WPS enabled ? I mean, when I scan for it it doesn't show up on minidwep as an option (if I remember correctly)

18. Fantasma

in minidwep for crack wep, you only have to scan for ap's , select one and click the Lanch button, then it work by itself.
    for wpa-wpa2 you have to change the search option from wep to wpa and scan for ap's. the ap's with wps enabled are displayed ---wps
    then you can select one and launch reaver

19. KoMoDo

KoMoDo New Member

Yes so I guess it's got WPS disabled then.

20. Fantasma

reaver ONLY can crack wpa-wpa2 with wps enabled