Few questions about WiFi Pineapple

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking Cards' started by Kostja_V, 3 May 2013.

1. Kostja_V

Kostja_V Well-Known Member
    VIP

Hello.
    After few days of reading articles about WiFi Pineapple Mark IV, I am interested in buing it instead of Alfa R36 I planned to buy for my AWUS036H. But I need few answers/confirmations about this gadget, because most of provided information is quite unfriendly to newbies like me.

The first question is, how to obtain WiFi Pineapple Mark IV? Yes, looks like a very silly question, but for WiFi Pineapple Mark IV there a few ways to do this.
    1. Looks like the Pineapple can be build using Alfa HORNET UB.
    2. The complete WiFi Pineapple Mark IV can be bought from http://hakshop.myshopify.com/products/wifi-pineapple
    3. As I understood WiFi Pineapple Mark IV is the Alfa AP121U router with modded firmware.

First way is quite hard for me, so I am choosing from buying complete WiFi Pineapple Mark IV or buying Alfa AP121U and flashing Pineapple's firmware. Buying Alfa AP121U is about twice cheaper in my country. But I need confirmation that after flashing Alfa AP121U with Pineapple's firmware I will get the fully functional WiFi Pineapple Mark IV?

And the second question.
    At the beginning the idea was to buy Alfa R36 to share internet connection from AWUS036H. So, is the Pineapple able to do this better or on the same level as R36? Articles say that yes. But I would like to get the confirmation, because AP121U with original firmware doesn't support WiFi adapters and 3g modems.

2. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

Yes it is.
    Get the ALFA AP121U. Try eBay, Amazon or an authorised ALFA dealer https://xiaopan.co/forums/threads/worldwide-authorised-alfa-network-distributor-list.527/ if you cannot find one, contact ALFA directly.
    You sure will, it is open source development you are getting the latest and greatest, check github. Just be careful flashing and follow appropriate guides. Also get the 64mb AP121U.
    Not sure, I do not own one myself but I do not see why not.

[​IMG]

I think you should build your own. Also there are some tutorials out there to make your own battery pack.

Here are some good newbie guides from troyhunt
    http://www.troyhunt.com/2013/04/the-beginners-guide-to-breaking-website.html
    http://www.troyhunt.com/2013/05/pineapple-surprise-mixing-trusting.html

3. Kostja_V

VIP

Mr. Penguin,
    thank you for your answer.

I am going to buy AP121U from www.data-alliance.net. Looks like it is quite trusted place. And many people on forums say that all new AP121U bought from there are 64mb. No need to search, because most sellers do not write\know RAM ammount.

Do you mean building from Hornet UB?
    I thought about it. After reading few topics, it looks quete easy and even cheaper than to buy AP121U, but here goes the silliest problem ever: I want the factory case for this board, but there is no places to buy it separately.

4. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Sucks....

5. Kostja_V

VIP

But I really do not know how to make case for this board, better than original one. Do you have any ideas?
    The only that came to mind is to make simple "brick" from transparent thermoplastic.

6. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

I would make it out of Perspex. You could bend it to shape with heat (hot air gun) and a sheet metal folder ( or g clamps [gradually] ), glue the ends and bottom with Araldite (or other epoxy resin), cut openings with a drill and a hacksaw, clean with a file. Has to be quite thick. I would have it about 4 mm thick at least. I would screw the bottom so you can undo it if you ever need to. Look forward to seeing this :D Make it a transparent case. Leave the cutting of the bottom last as after you bend it in a u shape with heat it is hard to determine the size. Make sure you predrill the screw holes and countersink them. Machine screws would be best. Do not overtighten. Hex screws would look good.

Some plastic place might be able to make it for you for a small fee.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kostja_V

VIP

S**t!!! The more I think about it, the more I want to do it.)))

• Like Like x 1
  8. Zedo Pomart

Zedo Pomart Active Member

Hello! I have bought the Alfa AP121u edition and it is coming very soon, based off stuff ive read the AP121u 64mb edition is not the right edition. that is the version i bought though and i really do not have time to return it... that being said, can i flash the pineAP or openWRT or whatever on to the AP121u 64 mb edition? if so could you please redirect me to a link that may be able to help me, or even a tutorial? please and thank you in advance, sorry for being such a noob :)
    --- Double Post Merged, 19 Mar 2016, Original Post Date: 18 Mar 2016 ---
    Did you actually get the wifi pineapple working on the Alfa ap121u 64mb edition?!