Question Backtrack vs Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Xiaopan Support' started by ecrudragon, 7 May 2013.

1. ecrudragon

ecrudragon Legendary ^_^
    VIP

Hi Guys...

I am using Windows 8 + Ubuntu 13.04 and i have many things already installed on Ubuntu 13.04.
    I just want to know what's the difference between Backtrack & Ubuntu, as backtrack have many many tutorials on websites to do everything than Ubuntu.
    1) i want to install Backtrack as my operating system is it good? (but i am waiting for customized Ubuntu 13.04 by our respected admin Mr. Penguin )
    2) which version of backtrack is good as operating system?
    3) backtrack support .Deb packages?
    4) backtrack's command line is same as Ubuntu?

Please Advice...
    Thank You,,, :D
    --- Double Post Merged, 7 May 2013 ---
    As everyone is too busy i would like to answer my question my own self :D :p

Code:
    Select All
    I'm new to Linux is Backtrack a good place to start Sorry, the simple answer to that is no. BackTrack is a highly specialized distro, where a lot of normal tasks are not done automatically for you as they are in a mainstream distro. Our best advice if you wish to start off using linux with BackTrack as your first linux operating system, is don't. Start off by downloading a copy of Kubuntu (as it is a similar base operating system to BackTrack) boot into that and force yourself to do everything you are used to doing on a daily basis using that, preferably spending most of your time using the command line tools. When and only when you can perform all of those daily tasks without having to look-up the commands should you move to BackTrack. Please don't take this as us saying you shouldn't use BackTrack, take it as friendly advice that you are letting yourself in for a whole world of pain and frustration if you are not fully comfortable performing administration of your own linux machine before you start with Backtrack. http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ
    Damn i should wait for customized Ubuntu.... :psy

2. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

Backtrack 4 and 5 are built on ubuntu the earlier ones are built on slackware so no there isn't much difference
    1) If you need all those tools on backtrack yes it's ok but might need some update's
    2) Backtrack is just a distro just find one you like and install the tools you need
    3) You can install .deb on all linux systems as far as i know
    4) Backtracks command line is linux command line, Learn unix commands and you can use it on any linux computer and mac's as they are unix based.

3. ecrudragon

ecrudragon Legendary ^_^
    VIP

Respected meknb
    Thanks for your kind reply, i already downloaded Backtrack 5 R3 and installed it on my computer but damn i never knew they have Kali Linux too today i am downloading Kali Linux its only 2300 MB and i am sure it would be more charming than Backtrack 5 R3... I gonna try it definitely as i am LINUX worm :D

:dummy::dummy: Can i install MAC OS on my LAPPY :dummy: :dummy:

4. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

Install the backtrack repo in Synaptic and download what you need. If you dislike the performance convert Ubuntu to Lubuntu.

5. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

It depends on the laptop i've a dell laptop which has never run window only osx (was bought for temp till i got a new logic board for my mac), osx is cheaper than windows and a much better os although a bit of acpi programming is needed to get everything running smoothly.

6. ecrudragon

ecrudragon Legendary ^_^
    VIP

Mr. P its totally over from my head please explain it bit more :)

It depends on the laptop i've a dell laptop which has never run window only osx (was bought for temp till i got a new logic board for my mac), osx is cheaper than windows and a much better os although a bit of acpi programming is needed to get everything running smoothly.
    Mr. meknb how about other programs? i mean .exe files can i run them too on OSX like WINE doing in linux?

I done installing Kali Linux its based on debian and work good but they need to work more on it :D

Issues i found:
    Ctrl + Alt + T = Not workable (Can't open terminal with it anymore)
    Trash Cane = Can't locate where the hell it is :p

7. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

Ctrl+shift+T opens terminal in debian
    Trash is usually ~/.local/share/Trash/files
    or try "locate Trash" or "locate trash"
    Never needed to run exe's why ??? but yes theres a port of wine for osx or code weaver runs exes

• Like Like x 1
  8. ecrudragon

ecrudragon Legendary ^_^
    VIP

Mr. meknb
    Lemme try it then i will come back to you directly i am doing some work in windows 8, right after finishing this mess i will open my sweet Kali Linux ;) i need many software .exe to be installed on system otherwise i can't complete my office work :p

9. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

ecrudragon Please do not use bold or italics unless you are emphasizing a point or a word. It is really had to read. Also the tagging feature and less quoting, be that you should also be selective in what you quote.

https://xiaopan.co/forums/help/rules

I will fix your posts to ensure uniformity.

10. ecrudragon

ecrudragon Legendary ^_^
    VIP

Sorry Mr. P i will follow that :(

• Like Like x 1