Satellite Dish Wifi Antenna

Discussion in 'Antennas' started by rempit, 22 Jun 2012.

1. rempit

rempit Well-Known Member
    VIP

Please share your experience if you ever DIY a Satellite Dish WIFI Antenna, i wonder how powerful the signal strength?

take a look at this video link below:
    Watch this video on YouTube.

Another interesting link is this:
    Watch this video on YouTube.

This guy (in video) DIY an Antenna called Quad BiQuad 16GBi Antenna (using low cost materials)

• Like Like x 2
  2. TCB13

TCB13 Be great

I tried a lot of DIY and the results aren't so great. Great RF depends on a lot of engineering and DIY is not up to the challenge most of the time.

3. rempit

rempit Well-Known Member
    VIP

..no wonder my DIY Antennas all ....sucks, hahaha!

4. mrmanuelmtz

mrmanuelmtz Well-Known Member

I tried a few but it only works with a point to point connection (i mean a DIY antenna on each side :) ) 'cause u can hear a lot of signals (i heard a 4km away signals) but no one it's able to hear you back. just if you have another powerful antenna on the other side.

2012-07-21_00-38-53_21.jpg

and also the line of sight is very important.

2012-07-18_08-45-13_958.jpg

In the top it's a directional antenna and in the middle an omnidirectional :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Desmond

Desmond Well-Known Member

I'm trying to build the double bi-quad antennas like this :
    don't know can success or not....
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. rempit

rempit Well-Known Member
    VIP

WOW ! Your double bi-quad antennas looks workable, waiting for your good news...:dance

Are you leaving it lying on the grass (as in photo) or you want install it on your rooftop?

7. Desmond

Desmond Well-Known Member

That biquad antennas not belong to me, just borrow the pic only :oops: ... for the moment, still in the progress building...
    Later on when finish I will upload the photo. I think i will put it near to my window, not on the rooftop..

8. Crackerz Wave

Crackerz Wave The Dictator

woa, my dlink

9. faizuldin

faizuldin Well-Known Member

nice diy antenna

10. Sorrow

Sorrow Well-Known Member

The comment made that DIY arent up to the challenge because of all the engineering is absolute BS. There is a lot of engineering yes but it has been done for you if you just explore and read. There are calculations that must be made such as distance from the reciever to the dish and also the depth of dish and the circumfrence of same . Thats just a radar type set up and if you have patience and do it right you can see amazing gains. I have almost tripled my signal and it took me about three days to complete. I could have done it in less time but getting proper material and doing lots of adjustments and measuring is paramount to success. There are many types of antennae as well and I suggest that any one doing there first antennae do the following . Go get a piece of proper wire and connectors for your card. (you can solder them on to the card if you know how. And build a cantennae first. http://www.seattlewireless.net/PringlesCantenna these get just as good gain as anything you can build and better than any stock antennae and its cheap. REMEMBER THaT these have to be aimed some one told me that theirs sucked and then I found out they had it sitting sideways to where any signals were. That would suck.

Anyways never listen to the people who say it cant be done or its to engineered. Someone built them first and that was without engineering just trial and error. Infact if you like DIY try different materials and shapes but following the way the radio waves move. Read up youll see what I mean it all makes sense after you figure out the wave and rotation aspects..

Fun FUn Fun

11. rempit

rempit Well-Known Member
    VIP

Nice reply Sorrow, would be even nicer if you don't mind upload a few photos of your DIY Antennas and also the Wifi signals strength they received, thanks :dance:joy

..btw, I really like to try DIY this pringles
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. sardan91

sardan91 Guest

im have tried diy a dish,,an it can take 5 to 7km using a dish and keep in top of roop,,about motherboad just take from sattelite tv,,and modify some wire,,and you know what??,,a board from belkin it also useful u can convert it also using 240v,,standard current house,,,1.dish,2,board sattelite tv,3,boadr belkin wifi,4.power,,,and you can use it for long range high end power comsuption,,

• Like Like x 1
  13. rempit

rempit Well-Known Member
    VIP

Wow...bro, are you sure 5 to 7km, do you have a photo to show us? :yes

14. vampiricbunny1800

vampiricbunny1800 Well-Known Member
    Dev Team VIP

i want the link to make one out of a pringles can lol