Extreme Long Range Outdoor WiFi Setup

Discussion in 'Kits' started by Mr. Penguin, 4 Jun 2012.

1. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

This is for those trying to access WiFi from long distances and designed to be mounted on the roof of your dwelling. You are better off having a smaller SMA connector than a large one as it loses a significant amount of power as distance is increased. Therefore, you are better off having a long active USB cable to compensate. You will also need to make your setup weatherproof.​
    This is a serious kit for serious people and likely to be illegal in some countries. We recommend that you use BackTrack 5R2, latest compat-wireless drivers, increase TX power beyond your regulatory domain and install it onto a hard drive or virtual machine (VM) environment.​
    I will add other sources and suppliers when I have a chance.​
    [​IMG]
    Adapter: Alfa AWUS036NHR (RTL8188RU) 2000mW b/g/n - Buy from Amazon
    [​IMG]
    Antenna: TP-Link NT TL-ANT2424B 2.4G 24dBi - Buy from Amazon
    [​IMG]
    Connector: TRENDnet Low Loss Reverse SMA Female to N-Type Male (2M) - Buy from Amazon
    [​IMG]
    USB Cable: Tripp Lite USB2.0 16-Feet Certified Active Extension Cable - Buy from Amazon
    $115 USD​
    (currency converter left side, bottom bar)
    Price is an estimation only and does not take into account postage. You can find out more (e.g. price, specs, reviews) by clicking the 'Buy from Amazon' links to buy individually or view the entire kit by clicking 'Buy Kit'

• Like Like x 2
  2. rempit

rempit Well-Known Member
    VIP

I recommend SignalKing SK-9TG 20dbi, this product is capable of receiving wifi signal 10 houses far away.
    [​IMG]

3. rempit

rempit Well-Known Member
    VIP

I havent yet tested the
    TP-Link NT TL-ANT2424B 2.4G 24dBi ​
    [​IMG][​IMG]

(so that i can compare both antennaa)​

4. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

I will mention that the TP-Link antenna is 3 meters, yes wide.

5. surecat

surecat Well-Known Member
    VIP

could i make wifi bridge with this 2 antennas on different sides? 8 km distance between them

6. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

That is a good question surecat

TCB13 has mentioned he has made a long range wireless link before. So he maybe able to assist. Another user eddieteo is a big wifi enthusiast so he might be able to answer your question better than myself could. See his thread: Eddie's Setup.

This link will cost you some money. Would this link be direct line of sight with no obstacles? Another thing is that the higher the frequency the shorter the range. 2.4 GHz v 5 GHz. 2.4 GHz signals also have better penetration through objects. Because no one hardly uses 5 Ghz band there would be as much interference compared to a 2.4 GHz.

If you contact UBiQuiti directly they might be able to develop a solution. http://www.ubnt.com/ they also have an interesting wireless link calculator which you can use: Ubiquiti Airlink Outdoor Wireless Link Calculator.

Also 802.11n will give you better range and speed. It is the correct business solution. An N card might be best to get. However, I have used the RT3070 (n), RT8188RU (n) and RTL8187L and compared results and it seems that the old RTL8187 (b/g) has much better sensitivity. The RTL8187L is very slow though. However, I did not set the cards to N network only with the N devices. If you set both ends of the bridge to mixed mode b/g/n you will not get the n benefits. Please read: AWUS036H v AWUS036NHR v Kasens G9000 (RT3070).

• Like Like x 1
  7. surecat

surecat Well-Known Member
    VIP

Thank you very much Mr. Penguin!!!

8. walus32

walus32 Active Member

I wanna this TP-Link NT TL-ANT2424B 2.4G 24dBi !!!

9. vampiricbunny1800

vampiricbunny1800 Well-Known Member
    Dev Team VIP

thats a freaking antenna lol

10. .::JiGSaW::.

.::JiGSaW::. Hello! I want to play a game ...
    VIP

I got this TP-Link NT TL-ANT2424B 2.4G 24dBi antena and I can thell that I am wery satisfied I used with my RTL8187L and got wery wery good results 20-30 app in one direction long distance and good signal boosting compared with another antenas this is the strongest and is not match cost in my country is 30 euros.
    BTW: I want to ask Mr. Penguin I want to buy a usb extension active cable do you have any suggestions be cose I use 2 cables x3 meters but not active I use 2 usb hubs with adapters to not drop my signal and sometimes hawing problems wen my fridge is turn off-on it doing litle nois on my home power and my adapter is turn off then it turn on again on short time i taked and UPS to stabilaze the power to my pc but no succes and I want to try with the active usb estension cable. what is the hiest leght is best to not drop the signal and working the adapter with no dropping down?? i see one cable in the ebay here is link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-10M-32F..._USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item5ae731e8ec but I am not shure is there will be work or no becose is 10 meters long but no have additional charging! it just have active extensione electronic boart on the end of the cable, what do suggest ??

11. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

12. .::JiGSaW::.

.::JiGSaW::. Hello! I want to play a game ...
    VIP

I have not tried this, on my usb cables have ferrite chokes, but I will try to add more of them, and also try the surge strip protector cable!
    I will search on e-bay for this kind of protector! Thanks for your suggestion!

13. vishalz

vishalz Member

Hello Experts,

I was very impressed by looking at this setup, I am sure you guys would give me some advise if I am intending to setup.

my office is is about 1400 Square Mts (just one floor) and because I have several mobile workers in the office and they will need WiFi access. If I install TP-Link NT TL-ANT2424B 2.4G 24dBi above my dwelling do you guys think it is appropriate. I heard that this technology is more appropriate for connecting connections between buildings

If you guys could suggest me with a appropriate solution that would be great.

If the above setup is not appropriate for me could you experts please advise a better WiFi solution for such a wide area (for 1400Sq Mts)

I am alternatively looking at this link

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?ShopGroupID=173

Thanks in advance

14. Neal Bob

Neal Bob Active Member

I have been using a SuperPass SuperUSB A20 directional panel. It's transmit power is rated at about 47.5 dBm. That's 7 watts!
    This model is a few years old but it works great. It uses a RT2500 chipset via active usb (supports packet injection). Here's is where you can purchase: http://www.superpass.com/Superusb.html

I'm sure newer models support N.

Just to give you an idea how powerful this or a similar panel is..here's a screenshot of a quick scan of networks from my 2nd floor apartment window.

Neal Bob

"I just told you, my first name isn't Bob, my last name is."

Attached Files: