Fixed AR9002U-2NG (AR7010 + AR9287) Not Being Detected in Xiaopan

Discussion in 'Xiaopan Support' started by gboaca, 16 Aug 2012.

1. gboaca

gboaca Member

What is the Issue?:
    Cannot get wifi to be seen by the Minidwep or XiaoPan no matter what i tried. According to tutorials and info my usb wifi is supported, but... can't get it to work. I also tried with live cd burned with Mac Burn at 8X speed. Booted ok, but didn't get it to work.​
    Ultimately, What are you trying to achieve?:
    Hack WEP with Minidwep and / or FeedingBottle
    What is your wireless device model?:
    AR9002U-2NG (AR7010 + AR9287)
    USB or Internal Device?:
    USB
    How are you using it?:
    I am using Xiaopan in VirtualBox
    Operating System:
    Mac
    If you used a Live CD or USB How did you create it?:
    Burn
    What version:
    Xiaopan 0.4.2.3

2. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

ath9_htc should cover both the AR9271 and AR7010 devices. Will look into it further tomorrow. Maybe they are not loading on startup?

3. gboaca

gboaca Member

i have no idea, i've spent the better of a day to find where's the problem. I tried also with XiaoPan 0.4.2.2 and 0.4.2.1 - same issue. Maybe it is because my usb wifi is v3.0 firmware and is not supported? Maybe the driver doesn't load properly?
    Maybe somebody will give me a direction? :)

4. Fantasma

Fantasma Well-Known Member

Try unplug and plug again your usb card, sometimes it solves that issues :)

5. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

6. gboaca

gboaca Member

Fantasma: thank you for the advice, tried it many times.

Mr. Penguin: i'll try and get back with info, thank you. PS: it's not uSB 3.0, it's just firmware version 3.0
    --- Double Post Merged, 17 Aug 2012 ---
    Hello, I tried to run what says there in order to load ath9k_htc, but i get an error:
    " modprobe: can't load module ath9k_htc (/updates/....): unkown symbol in module or unknown parameter"

Any clues?

7. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

According to TinyCoreLinux's List of Supported WiFi Devices this is the list of required extensions for ath9k or ath9XXX devices. Xiaopan has all the required dependencies:

• wifi.tcz
    • wireless-3.0.21-tinycore.tcz (ath9k_htc)
    • firmware.tcz

It has been confirmed to work with Ubiquity WifiStation EXT USB-adapter with Atheros AR9002 (AR9271) by a user on my blog: See here

I suggest you maybe write a comment below to see how he got his working, he will be notified and maybe can assist you better than I can as I do not have the same device as you have.

I can only speculate, but maybe they are renamed differently ath9k_common vs ath9k_htc or maybe it does not exist. I deleted all my Xiaopan Versions except for 0.4.3b.

First try this:

Code:
    Select All
    locate -i ath9k
    To get a location where that file is.

Code:
    Select All
    sudo modprobe -l | grep ath
    This will check the Atheros modules loaded by the kernel.

Code:
    Select All
    sudo modprobe ath9k_common ~/add where it is located/ath9k_common.ko
    or
    Code:
    Select All
    sudo modprobe ath9k_common ~/add where it is located/ath9k_htc.ko

8. gboaca

gboaca Member

Fantasma i see that you have also MacOS, how do you run XiaoPan? (Parallels / VirtualBox / VM?) Did you encounter any problems when running XiaoPan?

@Penguin i tried all the commands before and the message error is the same. Some things i noticed:
    - just after XiaoPan 0.4.2.3 loads with lsusb i can see my device but with lsmod i cannot see any wireless modules loaded (i presume they don't load automatically for some reason); if i run modprobe with path to KO files i get the previous mentioned error, but after that lsmod shows some wireless modules loaded (ath9k_common, ath9k_hw, mac80211, ath, cfg80211, compat);
    questions:
    > aren't those a little too many?
    > is XiaoPan loading drivers for my Mac's wifi adapter - i can presume from the mac80211 and cfg80211 modules.

- i tried to unload (modprobe -r) all the modules and load only one (ath9k_htc or carl9170); i managed to unload them but when I load one of these i get the error with (unkonwn symbol) BUT multiple modules appear there as loaded (ath9k_common, ath9k_hw, mac80211, ath, cfg80211, compat)

- i tried my wifi usb on same XiaoPan 0.4.2.3 but not in VM, but booting some laptop (asus, not mac) from CD and IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING AS ADVERTISED :D I even managed to crack my WPA2 pass with Reaver. Thus I think there is something related to either
    1. VirtualBox machine OR 2. MacBook Pro 13"
    questions:
    > when I installed XiaoPan 0,4.2.3 in VirtualBox I choosed "LINUX" + "Other Linux"; is that correct or should I choose "LINUX" with "Linux 2.6"?
    > i read on some forums (for Beini or BackTrack, can't remember right now) that in some situation the Mac blocked access to the usb wifi and it was needed to DROP ALL THE MAC DRIVERS. How do I do that other than with "modprobe -r mac80211"?

9. Fantasma

I'm testing Mac OS X on a " Hackintosh dual boot" made by myself (i'm a windows 7user :)) but i always use Xiaopan and all others pentest tools as live usb. on the other hand, you must run Xiaopan on VM as other linux 2.6
    Check that and please post results...

10. gboaca

gboaca Member

There is no "other linux 2.6" option in VirtualBox 4.1.18, the only options are: "Linux 2.6" or "Other Linux". Tried them both, no success. My best bet is that MacOs doesn't allow access to USB or VirtualBox can't access the device - the only explanation why the drivers aren't loaded at startup.

11. Fantasma

Choose linux 2.6 and try to add a usb filter on "USB devices", select your usb card. maybe VBox is not capturing your card
    --- Double Post Merged, 18 Aug 2012 ---
    Another thing, have you installed the extension pack? https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads this allow VirtualBox manage USB 2.0 ports, if you dont have it installed maybe it is your issue...

12. gboaca

gboaca Member

Yup, I installed extension pack for VBox. My USB device was already added to "USB Devices". I checked also on MacOSX MoLion and it says "Captured". The card shows up on VBox, so that's not the problem.

A, one thing that I cannot install is Guest Additions. I don't know how can I make this as I run XiaoPan from live cd. Any clues? Is there a way for me to install as hard drive XiaoPan? (as in create a VBox vdi file and all the stuff?)

I also found a discussion related to this issue, these guys are implying that it's a VBox bug or something: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49656

And another interesting opinion and proposal here: http://davidoluwatimi.wordpress.com/2012/07/06/macosx-vbox-host-fix-ubuntu-usb-access/#
    Only if I could install Guest Additions somehow... Any suggestions for that?

Many thanks!

13. Fantasma

Yea, I got the guest additions error on windows and have had the same issue. i solved it by installing the extension pack, so i have no clue how solve the guest additions issue. have you tried using Xiaopan as Live USB?

14. gboaca

gboaca Member

Ok guys, I managed to make it work by using Parallels Desktop instead of Virtual Box. It seems VBox has some issues in letting the guest OS using the wifi usb adapter. Hope they'll patch this bug soon in VBox.
    Conclusion: TP-LINK WN821N works like a charm with XiaoPan 0.4.2.3 vm in Parallels on MacOsX MoLion.
    Thanks a lot for help to both Penguin and Fantasma! :)

15. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Glad you got it to work, sometimes we can overlook the simplest of things. Well done for being resourceful and finding the issue.

I tried Xiaopan in VB once and it was a total nightmare.