Info Aircrack-ng Compatible Wireless Cards

Discussion in 'Resources' started by Mr. Penguin, 21 May 2012.

1. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

To fully maximise your Xiaopan OS experience, the card you have or the one you will get needs to be compatible with:

a) aircrack-ng
    b) Xiaopan OS
    c) Reaver
    d) compat-wireless

Therefore, it is a good idea to get an all rounder card that can do everything.

Bear in mind that Minidwep and FeedingBottle both use aircrack-ng!

According to the aircrack-ng wiki the best cards (check out the wiki for specific cards) to use are:

Atheros Chipsets
    One of the best chipsets nowadays is Atheros. It is very well supported under Linux, and also under Windows. The latest madwifi-ng patch makes it possible to inject raw 802.11 packets in either in Managed and Monitor mode at arbitrary b/g speeds.

The madwifi-ng compatability list is an excellent way to determine if a card is compatible with the aircrack-ng suite. Atheros, the chipset manufacturer, also has a web page that enables you to lookup chipsets for products incorporating their designs.

The madwifi-ng driver is used for the atheros chipsets. This driver does not support any USB atheros devices. However, Atheros acquired Zydas which makes USB chipsets (zd1211 and zd1211b). Atheros has renamed this chipset to AR5007UG. The AR5007UG chipset is NOT supported by the madwifi-ng driver, but it is recommended, because its one of the cheapest chips (about 5, 6$ on eBay) supported by aircrack-ng and offers reliable and stable operation for wireless connectivity. Starting with 2.6.24, AR5007UG(zd1211/zd1211b) can be used with zd1211rw.

Another USB chipset, AR9170, which covers Atheros and Zydas chipsets (zd1221) also provides aircrack-ng support with a mac80211 driver called carl9170. So does the ath9_htc for USB chips: AR9271 and AR7010.

As of kernel 2.6.26 and later, a new driver has been incorporated named as ath5k. This driver, unlike the madwifi-ng driver which requires HAL and was previously proprietary is a HAL-free based driver. Most popular linux distributions would already have this driver included which should provide support for those using such chipsets and preferrably to try injection patches on this driver before reverting back to the madwifi-ng.

Also, with ath5k comes ath9k, introduced for Atheros 802.11n capable chipsets. The ath5k and ath9k are not compatible as they have different designs.

For more information refer to this page. It contains updated information on upcoming support for other atheros chipsets (except for atheros MIMO).

Ralink Chipset Comments
    Ralink makes some nice b/g chipsets, and has been very cooperative with the open-source community to release GPL drivers. Packet injection is now fully supported under Linux on PCI/CardBus RT2500 cards, and also works on USB RT2570 devices. However, these cards are very temperamental, hard to get working, and have a tendency to work for a while then stop working for no reason. Furthermore, the RT2570 driver (such as that for the chipset inside the Linksys WUSB54Gv4) is currently unusable on big endian systems, such as the PowerPC. Cards with Ralink chipsets should not be your first choice.

There is one exception with regards to the Ralink chipsets. This is the RT73 chipset. There are excellent drivers with high injection rates for the RT73 chipset. Devices with the RT73 chipsets are recommended.

As of kernels >= 2.6.26 there are mac80211 based drivers which should give better support for almost all Ralink chipsets. As for Ralink 802.11n capable devices, they are slowly gaining support, read here.

Realtek RTL8187L Chipsets
    Cards containing the Realtek RTL8187L chipset work quite well and is recommended. The driver patch for this chipset has been continuously improved and quite good at this point in time. The Alfa AWUS036H is a very popular card with this chipset and it performs well the aircrack-ng suite. This chipset is not to be confused with the RTL8187B, which is nowhere near as tested as RTL8187L.

2. ZorroTheHacker

ZorroTheHacker Active Member

yeah thats my Chipset RTL 8187L i have been use this chipset and no problem while cracking process :D

3. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

rtl8187 is my choice of card as well. Even though it is so old it is well supported on Linux and all the range of wifi hacking tools.

4. ZorroTheHacker

ZorroTheHacker Active Member

hihi recomended RTL 8187 :D

5. mrdreamers

mrdreamers Well-Known Member

whats the best most powerful and longest ranged card? i got 50.00 bucks gifted to me on amazon so which one should i get? i already have a NETGEAR WG111v3 and works pretty good but dont work with Xiaopan OS and works on some cracking in bt5 but sometimes i get timeouts and and repeat pins so i was thinking on getting
    Alfa AWUS036H 1000mW 1W 802.11b/g USB Wireless WiFi network Adapter what do you guys think?? :me

6. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

7. mrdreamers

8. Crackerz Wave

Crackerz Wave The Dictator

i think the best is awus036nha and 7dbi/9dbi.....................but dont blame if anything go wrong, my nha only work in xiaopan 0.4.2.2

9. mrdreamers

before i buy this i wanted to get a antenna booster for it, will this, "" work with this ""??
    --- Double Post Merged, 2 Oct 2012 ---
    I ended up getting Alfa AWUS036NHR - High-Gain 2000mw 2W 802.11 B/G/N Wireless USB Network Adaptor and it works great with windows 7 and in vmware xiaopan but it has problems connecting in ubuntu 12.04 does anyone know what i can do to fix this? it will connect for some spots (my usual one not at all) but others not at all or connect to one and then it will go out after awhile i hope someone can help ty in advanced ;)

10. vampiricbunny1800

vampiricbunny1800 Well-Known Member
    Dev Team VIP

i'm currently looking for a new card how does the alfa awuso36nhr work man? compair that to WLAN :: AR9380

found here >>
    http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/technology/technology.php?nav1=47&product=88

what do you guys think is the best i just learned i needed a new one for backtrack and xia so what should i get ?

11. my house

my house Well-Known Member

Does it works with Alfa AWUS 1900 ?