Outdated Xiaopan OS 0.5 | What to do now?

Discussion in 'Xiaopan OS' started by Mr. Penguin, 2 Sep 2012.

?

Should we stick with Tiny Core Linux or not?

1. Yes

78.3%
  2. No

21.7%
  1. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

Essentially what you would do is install / delete everything you want and setup everything (bookmarks, shortcuts, desktop icons, background, theme, screen res etc). Then install Remastersys. I can't remember from memory if you have to select the Backup or Distribution option.

[​IMG]

Pretty sure it is Backup.... Pretty cool, you can change the splash image. Not sure if this will work on 12.10, but works on 12.04.

More info
    http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/ubuntu.html

2. .::JiGSaW::.

.::JiGSaW::. Hello! I want to play a game ...
    VIP

hmm looks cool i will try thiss!! thx ...:)

3. ccam2011

ccam2011 Member

thank you

4. vampiricbunny1800

vampiricbunny1800 Well-Known Member
    Dev Team VIP

no i know how to work a iso well in windows i was just giving a program that runs them thanks for trying to help tho (( in backtrack i could use a iso maker perhaps any other tools that are cool ))

5. anazhd

anazhd Active Member

Alfa Awus036nhr is one of the high end dream device. and yes, most of us own it already. My suggestion is, on latest beini release, this device driver is fully supported and tx rate pre-set to 30dbm. this can be pretty handy for live session.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

The NHR can actually support 33dbm anazhd.

Core 4.7 was released today hazz death, Fantasma and Crackerz Wave
    More info here: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,14324.0.html

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/release

Change Log:
    Updated ondemand to suport scm extensions and icons from both tcz and scm.
    Updated wbar - to support scm ondemand icons.
    Updated scmapps GUI for new ondemand maintenace and download option.
    Updated scm-load - new option -wo ondemand download.
    Updated tc-functions - added new support functions.
    Updated scm to interface to updated scmaps GUI.
    New scm-run to support scriptable load and launch scm style extensions.
    Updated filetool - New GUI access to ,filetool.lst, .xfiletool.lst, and backup options.
    Updated filetool.sh to interface to updated filetool GUI.
    Updated apps GUI - New Check Onboot Unneeded and changes required by ondemand scm support.
    New chkonboot.sh for cli Core only use.
    Updated tce-setup for consistency in handling onboot.lst and scmlist.lst.
    Updated loadcpufreq to allow blacklisting.

Note: Requires new wbar.tcz and Xprogs.tcz (apps, scmapps, filetool) now available in the repository.

Note: Having both scm and tcz in ondemand means changes to tcz ondemand: All ondemand items both scm and tcz will be available in the ondemand menu for supported window managers.

From ondemand menu, item will be loaded and if specified by a freedesktop item will also be launched. The regular menu item and icon, if any, will be updated and displayed. Subsequent launching of the item will be via the regular menu or displayed icon. Subsequent ondemand menu selection for an scm item will unmount and remove the regular menu item, and associated icon if any.

Subsequent ondemand menu selection for a tcz will produce no action, use regular menu item or icon. All ondemand items need to be re-created for the new format. Note: Be sure to update dependencies for recent change in fltk library name.

7. anazhd

anazhd Active Member

offtopic : can you show me a working way to enable 33dbm on 0.4.3 ? always got problems with "Error for wireless request "Set Tx Power" (8B26)" . Already tried to update compat-driver, wont work.

8. toljinsky

toljinsky Well-Known Member

Hello, guys, this is my first post. Nice work here :)
    First excuse my errors, as english is not my first language, nor the second :)
    Now I can give my 5 cents:
    My thoughts for a little pentesting distro - no need of a browser, flash player, messenger, multimedia etc. Only networking tools.
    For my needs wep tools, nmap and wireshark are almost enough but for making it a more feature rich distro others tools are welcomed. Also remmina and gigolo are good options. But I do not know his dependencies.
    Now my distribution choise thoughts:
    Recently I have tinkered Slitaz and it gives great opportunities for creating something small and rich. It has remastering tools and offers options to make iso images for low RAM systems.
    These are some screenshots of a system which I built and the "live" iso file is only 161MB :

slitaz_office.jpeg slitaz_packs.jpeg slitaz_packs2.jpeg slitaz_prefs.jpeg slitaz_sys.jpeg slitaz_utils.jpeg slitaz_mm.jpeg slitaz_net.jpeg

A good option is Salix OS. A Slackware based distro with GUI for package management - slapt-get and their own repositories. Also they offer Sourcery a graphical front-end for installing packages from SlackBuilds. From their website:
    "Salix is a GNU/Linux distribution based on Slackware that is simple, fast and easy to use. Salix is also fully backwards compatible with Slackware, so Slackware users can benefit from Salix repositories, which they can use as an "extra" quality source of software for their favorite distribution. "
    "There are six editions of Salix; the Xfce, MATE, LXDE, Fluxbox, KDE and Ratpoison editions."
    This distro offers very good options for slimming it down and the live versions have remastering tools too.
    For more information: http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/Home

Another good option is Slax. Right now Tomas M. is working on a slimmed version and achieved to make a bootable live CD with KDE4 at about 150MB.
    Very promising too : http://www.tomas-m.com/blog/

They've mentioned already Puppy and his Slackware and Ubuntu flavors. That's for now from me. Bye.
    --- Double Post Merged, 4 Nov 2012 ---
    Is there any option to edit posts? I have to double post :)
    Another option is Suse Studio - a solid base and posibilities to build completely customized distro.

• Like Like x 4
  9. toljinsky

Two more options guys:​
    1. AntiX - from their site "antiX is a fast, lightweight and easy to install linux live CD distribution based on Debian Testing for Intel-AMD x86 compatible systems." File size of the base version - 356MB.​
    antixBase.jpeg
    2. Crunchbang - from their site "CrunchBang is a Debian GNU/Linux based distribution offering a great blend of speed, style and substance.". File size is more than 600MB.​
    crunchbang.jpeg
    Both have a solid base that guaranties stability in long term and the advantage of the Debian package manager and his repositories. The iso images are 2-3 times bigger tnah the desired 200MB but there is a plenty of software to remove, including media players, games, gimp, office tools, printer drivers etc. And the good thing is they have remastering tools too :)
    Glad to contribute.​

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. carrey

carrey Member

Hello world!

I'm currently on 0.4.3, very happy. Small bugs reported already, just be aware of them and it's usable. Games are brilliant, thank you! By the way, screen resolution can be set precisely in boot options by adding xvesa=XPIXELSxYPIXELSxBITDEPTH for example xvesa=1400x1050x24 (documented feature is needed as well for small coloured ANSI terminal screens, i.e. when booting Xiaopan OS).

Can you please include GWC (gerix wifi cracker) in next version? People say it's good for WEP penetration.

11. toljinsky

Hello!
    Just tried to make a Tails live-cd with minidwep+reaver. Works, but it is not an easy task to install remastersys. So far it's impossible to make remastersys to work on Taills altough minidwep and reaver work after some dependecies hunting. After "uninstalling" from the live-cd office, graphics tools etc. (more than 600MB) it has a tiny Gnome2 environment with privacy in mind and is very tempting to add to it pentesting tools. It would have been nice to have Incognito+Minidwep+Reaver on a live-cd.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bagoes4all

bagoes4all Member

:) how about adding ipod / iphone "jailbreak" and get apps into ipod/iphone with xiaopan OS

13. Crackerz Wave

Crackerz Wave The Dictator

do you mean by putting or porting xiaopan software into iphone..........if it chipset support injection, maybe..

14. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

@bagoes4all means for it to have something like redsn0w (which is on mac + windows) to be able to jailbreak devices. To install apps, it would need to also have iTunes, afc2add and appsync (to download apps)

#74 Mr. Penguin, 15 Nov 2012
    Last edited: 5 Mar 2014
  15. jimpipe

jimpipe Well-Known Member

For the past week I'm toying around Slax 7 rc2, amazingly fast compare to other tiny distro.
    Slax7rc2 remind me the good old time of backtrack 2/3...game on ^^

16. Manihera Whaanga

Manihera Whaanga KakKa BUM
    VIP

i like tiny core its cool but will u be able to add most of the tools off back track 5 r3 :rolleyes: :confused::yes

17. bagoes4all

bagoes4all Member

Geek all right bro ...

18. asik144

asik144 Member

well i dont know i should post it here.
    there is a problem with my Xiao, its not picking my tl-wn722n usb wifi adapter, gives an error "unable to allocate URBs".
    i have tried all Xiaos and its not working

19. toljinsky

Well, I liked very much the latest Porteus v1.2 XFCE edition. Light and fast with 206MB iso size. Some screenshots:
    1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png

Attached Files:

• 6.png
      6.png
      File size:
      640.5 KB
      Views:
    • 7.png
      7.png
      File size:
      698.9 KB
      Views:
    • 8.png
      8.png
      File size:
      405.6 KB
      Views:
    • 9.png
      9.png
      File size:
      303 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

I think the same didn't like backtrack once it moved from slackware to ubuntu still use backtrack 3 although i've updated a lot of the tools i use on it.
    I like tiny core for it size and boot speed but could do with a few more tools though kismet, tshark but just wireless ones, and a few more manuals are handy.
    And it runs fine on my old 500mhz ibm but would love the option to boot into shell rather than gui.
    I use xiaopan because i just need to use wireless tools i have a multi boot pen drive several other distros which would do the job but don't need all the other stuff on them.
    I think if you add more tools and try to be like backtrack people would just use backtrack,id just stick to wireless tools and keep it simple, the lighter the better.