Info What BackTrack Should I Download & Use?

Discussion in 'Xiaopan Support' started by Xye, 17 Dec 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xye

Xye Active Member

Hi all,

So I'm trying to use BT5R3-GNOME-64, boot from usb.

It starts fine. Detect my wifi usb, but then, I don't know what to do. The horror of realizing that i'm a complete n00b, even though I've downloaded alot of howtos, is... horrifying.

Can someone that uses BT5 explain how to use it -or- point me to a easy, right to the point manual, to stop this horrific horror?

2. estimacamry

estimacamry Tracker
    VIP

3. Xye

Xye Active Member

Thank you estimacamry,

Reading the blog now..

I would like to have Internet anywhere during my research voyage aboard a mobile unit (truck).
    --- Double Post Merged, 17 Dec 2012 ---
    I'm getting BT5R3-GNOME-32-VM.

I never realized that there were many kinds of BT5... this is confusing the :censored out of me, along with the command lines, might have to go with Reaver instead. Not a big fan of typing like a monkey to get the machine to do what I want.

4. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

This is a support question rather than software info or download. Please be careful where you post Xye and use a more descriptive title. Thanks.

5. ImJoJo

ImJoJo The One & Only
    VIP

Try visiting the basic usage section of BT5R3 http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/index.php/Basic_Usage
    Also try their How-To section http://www.backtrack-linux.org/tutorials/
    Ask specific questions here at Xiaopan.co/furums by creating new threads. As you already seen everyone is willing to help out. Like estimacamry said "I'm still a beginner with backtrack but I can share whatever that I've learned with you."
    Checkout other users posts (specially mine) :me ..lol..J/K
    everyone has something to share. Happy Pentesting! :dance

6. Xye

Xye Active Member

Mr.Penguin, can you point me to the correct forum, or is that it > xiaopan support? The correct title would have been:
    Back Track 5 R3, completely lost in the fog, don't know what to do and not liking the fact that you have to type syntax like a monkey to get things done like in a 1992 DOS 6.22 user interface. So it's multi facet question where 1. I would like to know what to do and 2. can I operate BT5 by clicking on things to make the computer generate the command lines.

Imjojo, been there done that, which brings me here.

Let me go ahead with another question, as stated above, about BT5... is there anyway I can use it as graphic user interface (GUI) only, to get things done, rather then typing command lines? In other words, I like to click on things and make the computer generate the command line for me (after all this is 2012), rather than type, constantly worrying about if the syntax is correct.

Thanks all
    :yes

7. ImJoJo

ImJoJo The One & Only
    VIP

Wow..ok, how can I answer that? o_O..If you dont want to type commands then search for scripts..google is the best option..on the GUI topic, BT5R3 or any version of Backtrack that I know of come in a GUI form...try this one BackTrack5DishigTechEdition or XiaopanOS..both have GUI but they don't have all the tools as the original BT5R3 but I believe you can add them in the DishingTechEditon..but it requires typing in commands to install them..but if you want to crack WiFi in a GUI both are your option and both have the same effectiveness to crack WiFi as BT5R3..try them, they're pretty cool and extremely effective..;)

8. Xye

Xye Active Member

AH! You did answer very well. Thank you Imjojo.

Open your uTorrent full blast, I have 3 seeders. Need to get it and also get it (get educated about all this) before hitting the road, otherwise no internet. < The nightmare within the horrific horror.

Will give Xiaopan another go also.

=)

9. ImJoJo

ImJoJo The One & Only
    VIP

if its wifi what you're looking for XioapanOS is your best option...small yet effective..and USB bootable..

10. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

ARM I would not touch
    Gnome has the best interface
    KDE stay away cause it looks like crap
    32 or 64 bit? Doesn't really matter

11. Xcell

Xcell Wireless 'r' us!
    Moderator VIP

Format USB drive and don't do anything if you don't know what to do...When you get the idea what should and what do you need to do then start with BT or XOP.

12. Xye

Xye Active Member

hahaha, I'm starting a tread asking for help because I'm completely lost in the fog, and that guy's answer is "Format USB drive and don't do anything if you don't know what to do...When you get the idea what should and what do you need to do then start with BT or XOP." Really? Cheez thank you :joy

I do have an idea of what to do Xcell. I downloaded numerous Howtos, ebooks and copied informative web pages, all 336mb of it. Spent countless hours reading appropriate blogs. I come here asking n00b questions because none of it works. Where does it say that this forum is for advanced users?

loll, really

13. Xcell

Xcell Wireless 'r' us!
    Moderator VIP

AFAIK this forum is XiaoPan related forum for BackTrack issues you have their forums...And youtube of course...

14. Xye

Xye Active Member

I originally posted in
    Linux Based Operating Systems & Virtual Machines

before it was moved here. Go read couple posts above. ;)

15. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Understanding Ubuntu and BackTrack takes research. You need to understand the different builds, how to install it and ultimately how to use it. We are not going to give you all the answers particularly because they are already out there. You will get more satisfaction out of learning for yourself.
    Be more strategic in your research...BackTrack is a complex OS not just with wireless hacking tools. Instead of googling how to use BackTrack google "how to crack WEP with BackTrack" for example
    You need to be more specific, BackTrack has over 300 tools...
    That sounds awesome.
    It is a good idea to learn command line, but if you don't like being a typing monkey...use Inflator, Minidwep, WPSCrackGUI or other various GUI tools. You don't need to type you can create your own bash scripts to automate your process. Also copy and paste in terminal can reduce the amount of typing you have to do. E.g: https://xiaopan.co/forums/forums/scripts-commands.41/

I feel Xcell is a little frustrated with what you are asking for, because like me, he might see it as being lazy and vague. In future, also have a descriptive title. Backtrack 5R3...wtf isn't really appropriate.
    It is mainly for Xiaopan but as we have broadened our Support, we tend to allow anything at this point in time.

I think you should stop being flustered, step back, type what you want out of backtrack, google it, write notes, attempt. I have been in your situation when I started out...but I persisted, never asked for help unless i really needed it and researched a ridiculous amount.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Xye

Xye Active Member

oh boi, am I ever persisting... :cool:

17. estimacamry

estimacamry Tracker
    VIP

• Like Like x 1
  18. Xye

Xye Active Member

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure
    that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes." - William Gibson.

19. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

I am going to lock this thread as people are getting a bit agitated. Play nice peoples.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.