SILICA Virtual Machine

Discussion in 'Linux Based Operating Systems & Virtual Machines' started by Mr. Penguin, 26 Feb 2013.

1. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

Redefining wireless assessments
    [​IMG]

Understanding the vulnerabilities of your WiFi network can be challenging as users can easily create networks on demand, or even perhaps unintentionally. But as recent events have demonstrated, scanning your WiFi network is an important part of understanding your security posture.

Most vulnerability assessment tools simply take their current network scanners and point them at the wireless infrastructure. This approach does not give you the information that is unique to wireless networks. Immunity has built the first automated, WiFi specific, vulnerability assessment and penetration tool.

[​IMG]
    Unlike traditional scanners that merely identify possible vulnerabilities, SILICA determines the true risk of a particular access point. SILICA does this by unintrusively leveraging vulnerabilities and determining what assets behind the vulnerable access point can be compromised.

Additionally while traditional scanners can enumerate the vulnerabilities of a particular target, they cannot evaluate whether a mitigating control is in place on the target or in the surrounding environ- ment. With SILICA’s unique methodology it can report on whether vulnerability can be successfully exploited.

More than simple scanning, the benefits of using SILICA include:
    1) Improved security posture
    2) Simplified trouble shooting
    3) Network mapping
    4) Create real threat profiles and vulnerability assessments
    5) Build WiFi risk and vulnerability analysis for PCI, SOX
    6) Rogue access point detection
    7) Auditing wireless client security

With SILICA you can
    1. Recover WEP, WPA 1,2 and LEAP keys
    2. Passively hijack web application sessions for email, social networking and Intranet sites.
    3. Map a wireless network and identify its relationships with associated clients and other access points.
    4. Identify vendors, hidden SSIDs and equipment passively.
    5. Scan and break into hosts on the network using integrated CANVAS exploit modules and commands to recover screenshots, password hashes and other sensitive information.
    6. Perform man-in-the-middle attacks to find valuable information exchanged between hosts.
    7. Generate reports for wireless and network data.
    8. Hijack wireless client connections via access point impersonation.
    9. Passively inject custom content into client's web sessions.
    10. Take full control of wireless clients via CANVAS's client-side exploitation framework (clientD).
    11. Decrypt and easily view all WEP and WPA 1/2 traffic.

HIPAA Typical SILICA users include
    1. Forensics teams working to re-create an incident.

2. Security Management teams that want a purpose-build vulnerability scanning and exploitation tool for their WiFi network, including remote identification of systems and mobile devices even when running personal firewalls.

3. Network administrators who want to discover ad-hoc, unauthorized clients, or weakly authenticated WiFi access points, and to test/recover WEP, LEAP and WPA 1,2 keys.

4. Compliance officers looking for real risk management profiles.

5. Security Assessment teams that are tired of the false positives from traditional scanners use SILICA's man-in-the-middle and aggressive remote exploitation capability.

SILICA Product Features
    Access Point recon and analysis
    Automated client discovery
    Access Point exploits
    Automated exploit launch and run
    Automated SSID discovery
    WEP, WPA 1/2 and LEAP credential recovery
    Man-In-The-Middle capability
    Number of hosts analyzed simultaneously: 256
    Average time to compromize a host: < 1 minute
    Average time to break a WEP network: 10 minutes
    Average time to break a LEAP, WPA 1/2 network: depends on key strength
    Report Format: HTML
    Report retrieval: USB
    Frequency ranges: 802.11 a/b/g/n
    Installation: Bootable USB drive
    Wireless cards: USB, PCMCIA, PCCARD, ExpressCard
    Virtual machine support

SILICA is a self-contained solution that runs on a standard Intel based laptop. The SILICA software and base operating system (Ubuntu) is shipped on a bootable USB drive that enables you to run SILICA without any software modifications to your laptop. Included on the drive is partition containing a virtual machine with the same SILICA image giving you even greater flexibility and ease of use.

Also included with SILICA is a high performance Ubiquity WiFi USB adapter that greatly increases the wireless performance over the base WiFi chip sets that are included in most commercial laptops.

This self-contained solution provides support for 802.11 a/b/g/n networks. This product is ideal for security personnel who wish to integrate WiFi testing into an existing test platform with our security testing tools.

Download Silica_VM

Linux
    http://downloads.immunityinc.com/SILICA_VM.tar.gz

Windows
    http://downloads.immunityinc.com/SILICA_VM.zip

Developer
    http://www.immunityinc.com/products-silica.shtml

Article
    http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/08/wireless-password-easily-cracked/

Requested by
    Josh1218

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  2. FareezIzwar

FareezIzwar Active Member

this application can crack WPA/WPA2..? o_O

3. Crackerz Wave

Crackerz Wave The Dictator

Mr. Penguin does this thing have terminal? and it base it linux? as if yes, we can remake iso/remastersys .....so we can have SILICA.iso

4. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

5. Crackerz Wave

Crackerz Wave The Dictator

6. N0iZE

N0iZE Mod

Awesome! Will sure test this out on my router, just to se if im able to recover my password :p

7. me nay

me nay New Member

downloaded, made a VM machine
    on screen SIlica and Silica_activate
    /usr/bin/silica.sh nothing happens
    Silica_activate asking me for user and password

what is the first step to see it actually working ?

8. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Silica has a pretty cool wordlist generator to make phone number lists and stuff. Found some more info and tutorials about Silica too.

Other Features
    Ability to disable an access point using a denial of service attack
    and all the connected clients
    Automatic resuming when uploading large pcap's to STALKER
    POP/SMTP/IMAP credentials and emails are now displayed in the GUI in the Fake AP service impersonation
    Improved passive session hijacking for WEP and WPA networks
    Updated OUI file, 20000 new wireless vendors

Video Tutorials

Password stealing
    http://partners.immunityinc.com/movies/Silica-BrowserAutoFill-Take2.mov

AP less WEP cracking
    http://silica.immunityinc.com/AP_less_WEP_cracking.mov

Access point impersonation
    http://partners.immunityinc.com/movies/Access_point_impersonation.mp4

Custom traffic injection
    http://partners.immunityinc.com/movies/Traffic_injection.mp4

General overview
    http://www.immunityinc.com/movies/SILICA_7.5_New_Features.mov

Wireless Window
    http://www.immunityinc.com/movies/SILICA_Wireless_Window.mp4

Key retrieval (WEP, LEAP, WPA1,2)
    http://partners.immunityinc.com/movies/Lightning_Demo_SilicaU02.mp4

Passive session hijacking (facebook, twitter, gmail etc)
    http://partners.immunityinc.com/movies/Lightning_Demo_SilicaU_01.mp4

9. Josh1218

Josh1218 Well-Known Member

omg you are amazing. you are the best Mr. Penguin..............................................................

10. me nay

me nay New Member

I don't understand what is going. Is there anyone who actually got this working!?
    Here is my VM machine.
    Watch this video on YouTube.

I am trying to show, that this SILICA is not working, or it might be I do something wrong!?
    Weird also that the machine cant find my USB wificard, lsusb shows that I have usb Zydas, but WICD does not recognize that. Ifconfig - nothing, iwconfig - nothing.
    So please, tell me how to get that thing working!
    Thank you!

11. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

12. me nay

me nay New Member

NO, this is SIlica 12.04 for Linux, that I downloaded from the link in the first post here, and the host is also 12.04. I have two different USB wifi cards (TP-link), one with Atheros chipset and one with ZYdas chipset and Zydas is always working with the VM (I have tested many distros in VM and I know Zydas is always working).
    lsusb - shows that I have attached ath9k_htx and ZB11211D. Will try something different today and see if it works.

13. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Thanks for the info me nay. I will download it soon and try to get it to work in Parallels Desktop. Can you please assist Claude Garcia on how you installed it: How to Install Silica Virtual Machine.

Thank you.

From The Manual
    SILICA does not require any setup or install. Simply plug-in the USB drive into your computer, make sure the BIOS is configured as boot-able and let it load.

Once the license has been accepted, SILICA will start and offer you the SILICA GUI.

Make sure the card is inserted into the Express Card, PCMCIA or USB slot and the antennas are plugged in. If you notice low signal levels you may try plugging in the antenna into the other slot.

14. me nay

me nay New Member

The installation is the easy part. I removed 650 mb old kernels(this machine had 5 kernels), removed other 300 mb unnecessary stuff(with ubuntu-tweak and bleachbit). Updated the GRUB. Made check with rkhunter and chkrootkit and it seems clean. Now I run remastersys backup and after that will do remastersys dist to get two different iso files. Then I will install those custom iso files on USB and see if this SELICA is actually doing anything at all.
    VM machine is easy - download the linux machine, extract anywhere (u need 5-6 Gb) Create one Ubuntu machine normally, after that you remove the hard disk and add a new one from the existing (the extracted one). That is it!
    --- Double Post Merged, 27 Feb 2013 ---
    There is no screen asking me to accept any license!

15. geofrey

geofrey Member

hey bro can u make a full tutorial. im confused how to use it.. first when you click the icon SILICA activated need to type username and password? & its says failed to find the wireless card, im using Alfa AWUS036H by the way!! thanks!!:)

16. firesheep

firesheep Well-Known Member
    Donator I

same problem what username n password
    --- Double Post Merged, 27 Feb 2013 ---
    what wireless card on a silica support

17. Josh1218

18. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Have you tried cracking the:
    Code:
    Select All
    /etc/password
    with JTR?

That article was written in 2007...I hope the method of cracking is still available :)

19. Josh1218

not yet i gave up and started to play blackops 2 lol but when i get off work ill give it another try. it should be a universal password so i hope someone figures it out before i get off work lol...:)

20. me nay

me nay New Member

Made a USB boot iso, starting it and I get some message that some networking can not be activated. Modprobe activates my wifi cards as wlan0 and wlan1, but not detecting anything wireless. This is Ubuntu, you can change the password for an instant if you wish, it is much easier then changing Windows password. Not the Ubuntu password is the problem here. I waisted too much time with this one. Saturday or Sunday I will look what services are running. Seems to me, more like time waisting.
    here are some links, if you dont know how to change Ubuntu password
    1. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword
    or
    2. at root prompt
    Code:
    Select All
    mount -o remount,rw / then nano -B /etc/shadow
    delete the encrypted password, save, restart and you have account with no password at all, use password "username" to set new password
    --- Double Post Merged, 28 Feb 2013 ---
    Just tried on VM machine, droping to root disabled with password. Still have 3 other options to force it, but no more time waisting with this for today.