AP failure with USB RTL8187L wireless card

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking Cards' started by ilya980, 28 Dec 2016.

1. ilya980

ilya980 Member

Hi everyone,

First of all thanks a lot to Alghashm (and other developers) for their great work on improving RTL8187L driver and utility. The utility is much more functional than the original released my Realtek.

I do have a problem, however, running my USB RTL8187L chipset wireless card as an AP. I have this USB adapter connected to my PC, the PC is connected to the cable modem via wire. I want to have wireless access through this PC. The problem is that everything works great for some time (could be 5 min, could be 1 hour), but then the wireless adapter gets into an unusable state, the client disconnects and cannot reconnect. The only solution is to physically unplug the USB adapter, re-plug it and then re-setup the AP. The problem is the same with stock Realtek driver (1313) and your improved driver (1318).

More details:

1) If I try to set soft AP through your utility menu, the utility just shuts down (perhaps at the moment of trying to work with ICS, internet connection sharing). If I select AP mode, it stays selected and I only have a few seconds to put the card back into a normal mode. Otherwise it just shuts down.

2) I was able to set AP using netsh wlan set hostednetwork .... and then netsh wlan start hostednetwork. This way everything works, but the client loses internet connection at random. After that the client does not show as connected anymore, and on the client side it says "connecting...", but does not connect. The only way to repair it is to physically unplug the USB adapter, plug it back in, and restart hostednetwork. If I try to do something before disconnecting, it does not work. If I try, say, to disable the wireless adapter it hangs for more than a minute and then says "Cannot disable...". The connection sharing (associated with LAN) also often needs to be closed and opened again to restart the AP.

I am on Windows 10 x64. The client is an android phone, but I tried other clients (a laptop) - still the same.

Do you know what the issue might be?

Thanks a lot.

2. atnoprotciv

atnoprotciv Member

Hi ilya980 !
    In your situation, I have been. Finally, I figured out what to do. Before turning on the computer, remove the USB cable. When Windows and all programs were loaded, connect the USB cable. (I use Connectify Hotspot 2016/2017) Start the program "Connectify Hotspot 2017" and give "Start Services" then "Start Hotspot". (Connectify does not start with Windows.) If you stop hotspot and turn it on again, it might not work. So, if you're going to stop him, shutdown the coputer and resume the steps.
    I have an Alfa AWUS036H (the same drivers) and Windows 7 Pro x86.
    I hope I could help you.