Question Alfa AWUS036NHR on Mac OS X 10.8

Discussion in 'Xiaopan Support' started by Courtland, 2 Jun 2013.

1. Courtland

Courtland Member

I just installed an Alfa AWUS036NHR

RTL8188RU (AWUS036NHR) Mac Driver & Utility from this site:
    http://xiaopan.co/forums/threads/rtl8188ru-awus036nhr-mac-driver-utility.1473/
    the Utility says I am connected (SSID is my WiFi network's name), sig strength is 100%, I get a valid IP Address and yet I cannot connect to the internet.

Im on a MacbookPro9.2 (mid 2012) running under OS X 10.8.3.

I'm using this outside of KISMac. My goal is to simply connect to Wifi where available but weak signals

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Moderator VIP

Login to the router settings typically at 192.168.0.1 and see if it is connected to the internet.

3. Courtland

Courtland Member

Hi Thanks. I looked into the router 192.168.1.1 (Actiontec Router for Verizon Fios). The router is connected to the internet. I am on a MBP connected thru airport. The Wireless network utility says I connected but if I disable wifi on the Mac I am no longer connected to the internet, although the Wireless network utility says I am. When I go into the router settings I see a list of all the devices connected, iPhones, this Mac, etc., the Ip addresses assigned and the MAC addresses. I can account for all the MAC addresses. The Mac address of the alfa AWU036NHR isnt listed. I tried to add it manually but with no success. If I open up System Preferences, Network, I do see it. Its IP Address (169.***.*.**), is out of range of the Router settings (192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.254). The DNS Server however does show the Routers IP .

4. Enrique Marin

Enrique Marin Active Member

Saludos Courtland : Leo que tienes problemas con la Alfa AWUSO36NHR con Chipset Realtex 8188RU, mi consejo es que si puedes descambies esta Alfa ,es lo que yo hice hace dos semanas atrás, la AWUSO36NHR "falla más que una escopeta de caña", a mí me dió muchos dolores de cabeza,problemas : (a) no asocia los clientes a los APs, cuesta mucho ser detectada por el sistema, cuando la instalas en Windows sólo hace un primer escaneo, después es incapaz de hacer ninguno más, etc,etc...después de bajar drivers,reinstalarla "mil" veces y volverme medio majareta ,la única y mejor opción fué irme a la tienda y cambiarla por una Alfa AWUSO36NH con chipset Ralink, me va de maravilla,ningún problema.

• About Us

We are a community mixed with professionals and beginners with an interest in wireless security, auditing and pentesting. Feel free to check out and upload resources.

You can also find us on: Twitter and Facebook

• Donate to Us

Did you find our forums useful? Feel free to donate Bitcoin to us using the form below. Those who donate the equivlent of $10 USD or more will be upgraded to VIP membership. Don't have Bitcoin? Use your credit card to GO VIP here. Don't want to fork out some coin? There are other ways to GO VIP. Bitcoin: 1LMTGSoTyJWXuy2mQkHfgMzD7ez74x1Z8K