ALFA AWUS051NH

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking Cards' started by thewood, 2 Oct 2012.

1. thewood

thewood Active Member

has anyone tried this on osx (specifically snow leopard [more specifically 10.6.8.]) ? i currently have a friend living/teaching in taiwan AWUS036NHA which works fine in linux / virtual machines but no drivers for osx...and as far as im aware the 'gold standard' of awus036h but doesn't support past 10.6.6.?
    and it might be stubborness on my part for not switching to lion or mountain lion but i really hate the iosification.

sometimes the internal card doesn't quite reach where my hotspot is and thinking this could help?

http://www.alfa.com.tw/in/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=AWUS050NH&Category=0

basically anyone use this? reviews? recommendations?

2. dooogle

dooogle Well-Known Member

ALFA AWUS051NH

Like to read some comments comparing with other Alfa Products like AWUS036H, AWUS036NH, AWUS036NHA and AWUS036NHR.
    Can this AWUS051NH do injection like using Backtrack and Xiapan.
    --- Double Post Merged, 6 May 2014 ---
    I found the information in the next topic.
    Thanks.

#2 dooogle, 6 May 2014
    Last edited: 6 May 2014
  3. kevsamiga

kevsamiga Well-Known Member
    VIP

The 051NH can inject, and uses the same driver as the 036NH.

However the included external 5dbi antenna provided with the 051NH is NOT dual band or 5ghz specific unlike the internal pcb strip one is, and you may have to replace the external 5dbi antenna (which is 2.4ghz only) to get better access to 5.8Ghz capable AP's for injection and general usage.

Source that the 051NH's antenna is only 2.4Ghz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVWzS7dW_BE

The 2.4Ghz external one will work for 5.8ghz, but only very weakly as it is out of tune. Penny pinching by ALFA.

Unlike this replica with same chipset that actually includes a dual band external antenna:

http://www.afoundry.com.tw/html/af/pp-abgn.html

The adapter is old (2009) and comes from the same stable as 036H, hence the gold and silver colours, but has a lot less output
    power specified than the more modern adapters. Still a decent adapter though thanks to MISO capability on reception.

#3 kevsamiga, 7 May 2014
    Last edited: 7 May 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dooogle

dooogle Well-Known Member

Very useful information indeed.
    Thanks.

5. kevsamiga

kevsamiga Well-Known Member
    VIP

The definitive answer to 051NH's 5Ghz operation.

I just found this out, since no info is available on this obscure 2009 adapter much, which I've owned for a while and I could never
    find out such answers like this one to how it exactly works...

On the ALFA 051NH 802.11 A/N(5ghz modes) operates via the internal printed board dual band antenna only.

Do not expect proper results using 5ghz Yagi antenna/any dual band 2.4/5.8 or 5Ghz specific antenna with this product since
    you can't access the 5ghz input via the RP-SMA jack AT ALL !!!

It simply doesn't exist on that jack. Which is a bit of a con since 5Ghz reception cannot be improved with better antenna's.

The included external 5dbi antenna for the ALFA 051NH included in the box is a 2.4Ghz one only (not dual band) despite what you may have read.

It is not special as commonly believed in any way, as the coax feeding the antenna on all dual band Omni's is black inside the pivot, nor has it to be kept separate and not mixed up with other ALFA's which is another myth. This also means that you can use higher 2.4Ghz dbi Omni's on the 051NH's RP-SMA without fear of damaging things from using any 5Ghz output modes fed into only a 2.4Ghz antenna, as the external RP-SMA is 2.4Ghz capable only.

I used to think, and believe from the specifications on the 051NH that the external RP-SMA jack was capable of dual band/5Ghz operation. I even bought dual band Omni's, so that it could match the dual band micro-strip antenna located inside on the AWUS051NH.

However it is not, nor has it ever been capable of dual band operation externally. There....that clears up some confusion about this adapter.

Oh, and I found that the best driver for this 051NH adapter (at least on Windows 7) is version 3.1.8.0 (everything works including AP mode, and reliable connections at distance)
    --- Double Post Merged, 8 Sep 2014 ---
    Apparently there is also an 051NH version 2 floating around which was released in August 2013...rokland sells it.

I even have a driver disc for my 051NH, that shows also a version 2 051NH option though I still have the 2770 chipped version.

I've read this Version 2 of the 051NH has the same chipset that was going to be in the ALFA 052NH the RT3572 chipset inside instead of 2770 ! Free upgrade for those buying an 051NH.

I wonder if it's any better than 2770...because the signals on my 2770 chipped 051NH are all over the place.

Apart from that the version 2 of the 051NH adapter looks exactly the same as the 051NH original despite the change in chipset.

#5 kevsamiga, 5 Aug 2014
    Last edited: 8 Sep 2014