Info Backtrack VM - connecting via a wireless-internet USB dongle

Discussion in 'Xiaopan Support' started by minky, 30 Sep 2013.

1. minky

minky New Member

I managed to connect a Backtrack VM to the internet using Virtualbox on a Knoppix host connected to the internet through a wireless-internet USB dongle... and wonder if the following may interest someone else:

Using a Backtrack 5r3 VM, in Oracle Virtualbox 4.1.18 Debian with Extensions Package 4.1.26 installed (to enable USB2 support);

1 - I connected the Knoppix host to the ISP's wireless dialup connection, then through a free VPN (as per usual);

2 - with the fresh BT5R3 VM loaded in Virtualbox I went into the machine's 'Settings' and under 'Network' I enabled 2 network adapters; the first one I set to 'Bridged Adaptor' (it named itself 'eth0') and the second I set to 'NAT' (unnamed);

3 - then in BT5R3 I opened 'WLCD Network Manager' (main menu, Applications > Internet) and, leaving the default wired-connection selected I went to the 'Preferences' tab and, in the 'Wired Interface' field entered 'eth1' (i.e. the NAT adaptor), then clicked 'OK' and 'Connect', whereupon NAT assigned a private IP address to the VM connection. I opened a browser and... AOK

(please note that if 'eth1' isn't the name that gets automatically assigned to your NAT-configured network interface, perhaps it is 'eth2' or..'eth*' - I couldn't see how to confirm this so it may require a bit of trial and... success)

4 - good luck!

regards

p.s. although I used an internet dongle on the host, I suspect this will work identically using any wired network connection.

• About Us

We are a community mixed with professionals and beginners with an interest in wireless security, auditing and pentesting. Feel free to check out and upload resources.

You can also find us on: Twitter and Facebook

• Donate to Us

Did you find our forums useful? Feel free to donate Bitcoin to us using the form below. Those who donate the equivlent of $10 USD or more will be upgraded to VIP membership. Don't have Bitcoin? Use your credit card to GO VIP here. Don't want to fork out some coin? There are other ways to GO VIP. Bitcoin: 1LMTGSoTyJWXuy2mQkHfgMzD7ez74x1Z8K