Boost WiFi reception by 2 or 3 times!

Discussion in 'Resources' started by ImJoJo, 11 Mar 2013.

1. Nattydread

Nattydread Member

I am sorry for off topics and thanks for our reply sir .

2. scorpius

scorpius Well-Known Member

I carefully made one of these and it did NOT work at all. In fact some reception is worse than before! This is strange because others here have already reported good results.

I made the measurements exactly as described in the 1st post. The only thing I did differently was that I taped the foil to the cardboard instead of gluing it on (see my photo below). Could tape vs glue make the device not perform as expected? I don't see why it should, as long as the foil has the proper shape. And I only used a very small amount of clear tape along the edges. Any suggestions?

booster.jpg

3. rexy

rexy Well-Known Member

Just remove the type and use the glue, give it a try

4. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

Where is the hole for the SMA?

5. ImJoJo

ImJoJo The One & Only
    VIP

Great eye Mr. Penguin..;) also make sure it's 8 inches across from end to end as shown in (Step 7) anything greater than that will give you poor results. As for some signals showing weaker, yes, it's normal since this can be concidered a directional antenna. Whichever direction it faces it will increase reception. Another key factor is altitude it's placed on. Its best between 5 ft. to 6 ft. and one last thing, make sure its sitting straight not facing up or facing down. As Mr. Penguin suggested a simple base so adapter can sit firmly would be a great idea. Hope it works for you. Oh yeah and I hope it wasn't electrical tape you used to tape it with..that would not be a good idea. Try glue or any spray adhesive. Very inexpensive.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

6. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

I suggest contact adhesive

Is it just me or does it look a little too round :thinking:

7. ImJoJo

ImJoJo The One & Only
    VIP

I was thinking the same thing...:admin:..lol.. I just didn't want to say anything because I thought it was just me..but yeah it looks a bit too round.

8. scorpius

The hole for the SMA is there, and I did try it with the antenna in place. Also the open end is 8 inches across. I closely followed the directions. I simply used some scotch tape near the ends, and the foil is flat against the cardboard, not loose and flimsy.

And as far as height, I tried it at 5-6ft, and did the same on the 1st and 2nd floors of the house, as well as at my friend's house in another city.

I even tried a different brand of foil. I will glue the foil on to see if that makes any difference.

9. ImJoJo

ImJoJo The One & Only
    VIP

Really? Wow :(...i really cant think of anything else..maybe the cardboard is too thick that its not allowing the antenna to screw in all the way..because foil brand has nothing to do with it, nor the city :rolleyes: what adapter are you using? Just curious..im using Alfa awus036h RTL8187L..i'll post new images in a bit to show the difference..updated ones..

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

10. scorpius

Well, I glued the foil and there's still no difference. The cardboard is thin and the antenna is definitely connected.
    I'm also using the same Alfa as you. Here's my setup with everything connected:

booster2.jpg

11. ImJoJo

ImJoJo The One & Only
    VIP

You know what..I'm clueless :wacky:...I dont know how this can fail..it's not mechanical or electrical..its cardboard and aluminum foil..:bag:
    and we ruled out every possibility..look at these images from the Windows 7 side....Look how strong every signal is..not to exaggerate but the one named "HOP" is about 1/4 mile from me..and that's only pointing on that specific direction.
    Windows 7 WiFi Screenshots Replaced
    UPDATED
    Here is the new screenshot using Chanalyzer Pro...Take a look at the RSSI :wideyed:

2013-04-28 21_25_56-Greenshot.png

12. scorpius

Those signal strengths sure are impressive. That's what I was aiming to achieve -- or at least half of that. :)

Maybe I have a different version of the Alfa than you? I'm in the USA and maybe different countries have different cards? Mine has the hologram on that back, and (by itself) picks up more nets than other card, so I am very happy with it.

Perhaps I should try to build another booster from scratch.

13. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

14. ImJoJo

ImJoJo The One & Only
    VIP

They are all manufactured in the same country so that's not a factor. The country where it's used is also not a factor. The hologram in the back definitely is not a factor as fakes also have them.

Actually found me a copy of Chanalyzer Pro..:D but the use I needed for this screenshot is the same as InSSIDer..

Now, that is definitely a huge factor..also the settings are also a factor.

@scorpious If you change channel to any other one but 1,6 and 11 will cause a big drop in signals received. 1.6 and 11 are the best ones..at least in the U.S. that I know of...Changing the Power Save Mode to Fast_PSP or Max_PSP will impact the performance as well..I use CAM..

15. sisarka10

sisarka10 Well-Known Member

Whats the difference between your and windsurfer wifi booster, it looks to me as if you stole someone else's idea, this has been around for years.

Ez-12

16. Remington

Remington Well-Known Member
    VIP

Nothing new here, people were doing this over a decade ago. I have made Windsurfers for other people and they make a difference.

17. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

I don't think so, he is just highlighting his experience @sisarka10

18. sisarka10

sisarka10 Well-Known Member

He doesn't highlight anything, this is someone else's ingenuity and handiwork,
    and like remington says people were doing this over a decade ago, this wss made in 2003 Ez-10 Corner Reflector Templat total gain 11.4 dbi ....etc.

Ez-12 windsurfer also total gain 11.41 dbi

19. JUlz@#!@#

JUlz@#!@# Member

nice idea..

20. Remington

Remington Well-Known Member
    VIP

:woot: I have never seen that Corner Style Windsurfer before, but gains are almost identical to the Ez-12. This concept isn't new, just a slightly different size and shape he is using.