Question Dual Boot

Discussion in 'Xiaopan Support' started by wildbill, 1 Oct 2013.

1. wildbill

wildbill Never Give Up!
    VIP

How do I create a dual boot hard drive with Xiaopan linux and windows XP ?

2. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

3. wildbill

wildbill Never Give Up!
    VIP

Meknb thanks for the post will try your suggestions. I presently have backbox loaded on a drive with grub on start up. Backbox has grub built into install menu. The ultimate would be to have Xiaopan this way on a ISO install.
    well back to learning mode but I think my head is swelling from all the info ?

4. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

If you have a empty partition just use appbrowser download tc-install here's a guide to using it http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/install.html
    Just choose frugal > existing partition point it to your empty partition uncheck the install bootloader then follow the rest of instructions
    Then edit your menu.lst on backbox add
    Code:
    Select All
    LABEL Xiaopan MENU LABEL Boot Xiaopan TEXT HELP Wep users abandon all hope. ENDTEXT KERNEL Point to partition/boot/vmlinuz APPEND initrd=Point to partition/boot/core.gz
    This is just a basic guide but with some hope you get the gist, also check the tce folder after running tc-install if empty copy the contents of the cde folder of xiaopan iso to tce folder on new partition.

#4 meknb, 2 Oct 2013
    Last edited: 2 Oct 2013
  5. wildbill

wildbill Never Give Up!
    VIP

Meknb, Thanks you have really helped me accomplish a goal. I use dell Inspiron 8200 notebooks because they are easy to repair and the drives slide out the side. Hard drives 80 gig 4200rpm are in the $20 area and I partition them for multiple os. The only problem is bios will not boot from USB.
    I have looked at and dissembled the newer notebooks and will say alot are junk. Was told by service people that there life span is rated in 1 year or so. The biggest killer on notebooks is heat inside.
    Wanted to mention that my avatar shows my USB wifi antenna that really works good and can extend it 30 or more feet from PC.

6. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

I've a few relics i still use if i need to boot from usb i have just mapped plop.iso into grub , usb boot even if bios doesn't support it :) http://www.plop.at/en/ploplinux/iso.html
    IMG_20131001_231552.jpg
    no problem with heat with my old thinkpad lol

#6 meknb, 2 Oct 2013
    Last edited: 2 Oct 2013
  7. wildbill

wildbill Never Give Up!
    VIP

I got side tracked but finally got a drive to dual boot and has 2 partitions. Windows 1 and linux 2. I really want to learn Linux and get away from windows BS.
    will the different versions of linux accept Xiaopan on second partition ?
    --- Double Post Merged, 14 Oct 2013 ---
    forgot to mention thinkpad looks neat without cover

8. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

Yes should be no problem just don't install boot loader with tc-install just point your grub from your linux insall to your tiny core partition.

9. Muzamil

Muzamil Active Member

Hi fiends how can i have a problem with xiaopan os how can i dual boot xiaopan with windows 7 please help me

10. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin