Hi All

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Loky, 18 Jan 2014.

1. Loky

Loky Member

Dear Forum!

Loky here from Romania. I live in Transylvania, the region where Hungarian people live. I'm not sure how I ended up here, but I'll try to explain it briefly. Please, continue reading only if you like longer texts. :)

One day I just had too much free time and I started wondering how many wireless networks are around my apartment. I live in an apartment house which has 20 apartments on four levels and it's surrounded by other apartment houses so there are a large number of homes in a relatively small area. So, I fired up inSSIDer and saw that there are at least 8 wireless networks that my laptop with its built-in 2.4 Ghz card can detect. This includes my own wireless router that's running OpenWRT.

Then I said to myself, why don't I check which one belongs to who. I don't intend to make harm to anybody, I was just curious to take a peak here and there, check how much are my neighbors concerned about security. The good news is that all the networks were password protected. I started looking for "solutions" and I found Beini. Shortly after finding Beini, I read on Dishing Tech blog that "Beini is outdated, unsupported and lets face it super buggy." and I found info about Xiaopan. I then registered on this forum to be able to download Xiaopan. I made a bootable USB using Unetbootin with the help of the same Dishing Tech blog.

I was ready to start experimenting with this security tool. First I tried with VirtualBox. The OS started and all looked well, but it didn't recognize the wireless card of the laptop . By the way the card is an Atheros AR5B195 which has a AR9285 wi-fi and in Aida64 it shows up as Atheros AR9002WB-1NG. Kind of complicated the names of these Atheros cards.

I didn't really bother finding out why it didn't recognize it; instead I booted the laptop directly from the pendrive. Everything was working. I found a cool tutorial on YouTube made by Abysm. Very easy to follow and straightforward. I managed to capture the handshake on a WPA2 wireless network.

Also, I tried minidwep; it took only 4 minutes to get the password of a WEP protected network. With minidwep I captured some more handshakes of WPA2 networks. All I need now is to try and crack the hash file. As I learned, capturing the hash file is quite easy, but cracking it needs the real knowledge. In my case I would need Hungarian dictionary, playing with Hungarian words as well as English and Romanian. These are all possibilities and I don't know as of today if it's worth the effort.

I'm not sure if I will continue digging for info and software to crack WPA hash files, but nevertheless I learned quite a few exciting things about wireless networks and their security during the short time I was playing with Xiaopan. It's and excellent tool or OS, whatever you like calling it. Hats off to the people behind it. Please keep up the good work!

PS: if anybody is having problems getting started with Xiaopan 0.4.7.2, then contact me and I'll try to help.

2. kholiq

kholiq Member

hi bro....really good to know about your experience...hopefully u can teach me how to crack hash file... i trying to learn how to crack wpa but until now i cant figure it out... as i really blurr as the software keep on asking about dictionary file...but i dont know where to locate and how to seek the dictionary file... please teach me bro...

3. Loky

Loky Member

Hi kholiq!

As I wrote in the first post, cracking the WPA hash file is a mystery to me too. Did you search for dictionaries on this forum? Because you should find one, download it and put it into your software. I didn't have time yet, but you can check the topics here: Dictionary, Password & Wordlists | Xiaopan Forums

By the way, which software are you using? Is it an independent software or is it one of the built-in software of Xiaopan?

• About Us

We are a community mixed with professionals and beginners with an interest in wireless security, auditing and pentesting. Feel free to check out and upload resources.

You can also find us on: Twitter and Facebook

• Donate to Us

Did you find our forums useful? Feel free to donate Bitcoin to us using the form below. Those who donate the equivlent of $10 USD or more will be upgraded to VIP membership. Don't have Bitcoin? Use your credit card to GO VIP here. Don't want to fork out some coin? There are other ways to GO VIP. Bitcoin: 1LMTGSoTyJWXuy2mQkHfgMzD7ez74x1Z8K