How to Recover Files from a Failing Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Resources' started by Mr. Penguin, 27 Apr 2013.

?

Did You Recover Your Failing HDD?

1. Yes

72.7%
  2. No

27.3%
  1. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Moderator VIP

Background
    Mr. Penguin could not get Windows to load it was sluggish and did not want to get past the pulsating Windows 7 logo. Before that I got numerous BSODs and couldn't even get into Safe Mode. Tried to run chkdsk /f at command prompt but that would not work either.

So what I did was take the 2.5 in hard drive and placed it in my 3.5 external drive to see if I could recover my files. Windows took forever to find the drive, when it did, Windows told me to format the drive :(. Interestingly in My Computer that the drive was 0 of 0 bytes and there was no file capacity bar underneath the drive.

stellar.jpg

Solution
    With my failing HDD in my external I tried a program called Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery. Reviews on Cnet gave it 3/5 so I was skeptical it would work. Anyway I installed and opened it. Took about 3 minutes to boot up as it was finding my drives. Sure enough it found my F:/. There are a few options for data recovery and I just chose the file recovery one. It also has options to recover certain extensions like photos, movies and etc.

Anyway, it sure did find my files. All I wanted to do is recover my User folder which had my downloads, documents and desktop files (71 GB).

Currently it is saving all my files to a folder on my new hard drive I bought. Now a word of warning, be patient. This will take quite a while particularly if you have heaps of small files. It is also prone to hanging as I found out. Got stuck at 22.14 GB for about 30 minutes, went out and did some shopping and it finished.

Download It
    You should download this because you never know when you might need it. I didn't have much warning and the health of my drive got progressively worse. There is also a Mac version as well :wideyed:

Download: http://xiaopan.co/forums/downloads/stellar-phoneix-windows-data-recovery-professional.129/

Anyway, let me know your successes or failures in recovering files from a failing hard drive below :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pixi-Overlord

Pixi-Overlord Well-Known Member
    VIP

An old trick i use when a HDD is going tits up is put the HDD in a zip lock back, suck out as much air as i can.
    Put it in the freezer overnight.
    In the Morning slave the HDD and aim for most important data first.
    It takes a bit of time for the HDD to heat up which gives u some time to get whats important.
    If its like a few gigs, u should be fine

3. Fantastic

Fantastic Well-Known Member
    VIP

Use recoverx ... That worked for me

4. ImJoJo

ImJoJo The One & Only
    VIP

I recently had a similar problem, actually I still do. My HDD gave out and all my files are in it. OS will not boot :mad: in any mode. A brand new 32Gb flash drive decided to give me a hard time and not let itself get detected on my laptops. I tried Stellar's and a few other ones til finally I found one that worked (for me) MiniTool Power Data Recovery. Saved all my files from my flash drive..now I just have to figure out how to save my HDD files from an un-bootable OS.

5. llCarchsll

llCarchsll Member

For those who can not access your hard drive and want to save all your data either do not recognize or that are protected or because raw format change from ubuntu can solve it
    Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu

6. ImJoJo

ImJoJo The One & Only
    VIP

Thanks for sharing this but, booting my machine from a Linux Distro (Backtrack 5R3) was my first option attempted. Unfortunately, I had no luck with it either. Backtrack is designed for digital forensics and penetration testing use and just happens to be Ubuntu based. But I am pleased to say I have achieved it using Stellar NTFS data recovery NOT Stellar data windows recovery. Why? Aren't they the same? That I cant answer but one did what the other didnt. Results will vary from user to user. Conclusion: MiniTool data recovery and Stellar are both great tools.;)

• About Us

We are a community mixed with professionals and beginners with an interest in wireless security, auditing and pentesting. Feel free to check out and upload resources.

You can also find us on: Twitter and Facebook

• Donate to Us

Did you find our forums useful? Feel free to donate Bitcoin to us using the form below. Those who donate the equivlent of $10 USD or more will be upgraded to VIP membership. Don't have Bitcoin? Use your credit card to GO VIP here. Don't want to fork out some coin? There are other ways to GO VIP. Bitcoin: 1LMTGSoTyJWXuy2mQkHfgMzD7ez74x1Z8K