Issue WICD Network Manager Issue Part II. No WLAN networks recognized. Interface is recognized

Discussion in 'Xiaopan Support' started by hjohj, 7 Sep 2012.

1. hjohj

hjohj Member

Hello everybody,

the weirdness carries on. Out of the sudden WICD Network Manager in Backtrack 5 3R stopped recognizing WLANs. So I was reading thread after thread and tried everything possible, but no solution has been found. The latest thing I'd like to belive, is that is a new bug has caused the mailfunction due to the latest update of WICD Network Manager.

Help much appreciated, thaat drives me nuts!

Thanks a lot!

2. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

Oh dear,

I just noticed your additional replies here: Can't Find Networks in WICD Using AWUS036NH (VMware | Backtrack 5 R3)

You could try reinstalling:
    Code:
    Select All
    sudo apt-get purge wicd && sudo apt-get install network-manager --reinstall
    I haven't upgraded to R3 yet. If you are just after functionality and not just WICD you could try: Network Manager.

3. hjohj

hjohj Member

Yeeeeah I unfortunatly deleted that. :) Cause I was following some "instructions" I found. Unfortunatly I don't have access to wired interface which comes with Vmware 9. So I can't install it anymore. Tried to do so, but then I had to learn that the packages are not on the HDD. I did install Backtrack via VMware 9.

I already tried just booting it from the ISO, but the result is the same. No WLANs can be found. Even if I didn't update Backtrack. It worked fine back then, just collapsed today. But what does work in ISO boot is, I can browse internet by using wired interface.

Firstly it could find WLANs, but spit out "Bad Password". So I was looking for a solution regarding this. But after a while no WLANs couldn't be found anymore. So the problem worsened.

4. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

Install Network Manager Without Internet
    1) Download the network-manager in the host machine (links on the bottom of the page). Use the appropriate 64-bit or 32-bit version.
    2) Copy files to a USB device or drag them into the VM if you have VMware tools
    3) Install the network-manager and network-manager-gnome deb files
    4) Reboot
    5) Fingers crossed

Resources
    How to Install a Deb Example

Also if your host machine has internet you should be able to bridge and share that network in BT5r3 so you will have internet access.