Fixed Xiaopan OS 0.4.2 Not Finding Atheros AR9285 Wireless Device

Discussion in 'Xiaopan Support' started by tjl, 27 May 2012.

1. tjl

tjl New Member

When I run xiaopanOS 0.4.2 on my laptop it isn't finding my wireless device, which is an Atheros ar9285. I'm thinking a driver issue, as it isn't the hardware, it works fine in windows for example. Any thoughts/ideas?

and by not finding it I mean, if I go to wifi, it says no wireless devices, if I go to inflator, there is no wireless card to detect, if I go to terminal and do an iwconfig, there is again nothing showing up... just to be clearer.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Moderator VIP

Is this a USB card or internal card? If it is an internal card and you are using virtualisation it is not going to work unless you use a live bootable USB. See this thread.

Can you please follow these steps in creating a signature of your hardware and software.

3. tjl

tjl New Member

It is an internal card, and I've been using a live USB not virtualization, when i load up backtrack live dvd it does see my card, but I'm wanting to not use backtrack for other reasons. So I'm not sure what the problem is :s.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mr. Penguin

Have you tried other versions of Xiaopan and Beini? How did you fare? There has been a reported user named Rili Toma that has got his AR9285 to work. See this thread.

5. IhateTim

IhateTim Active Member

Just wanted to +1 that AR9285 does not work right off the bat with USB & Xiaopan 0.4.2 and 0.4.3.

To get it working, you need to actually load the drivers (why aren't they auto loaded?)
    Code:
    Select All
    modprobe -l | grep ath
    then
    Code:
    Select All
    modprobe ath9k_common /path/to/where/you/put/ath9k_common.ko
    then it finally works.

• Like Like x 3
  6. creezalird

creezalird great disturbance

i tried before with CD live xiaopan 0.4.1 and i can confirm that ar9285 is detected properly together with my rtl8187L. and i tried to use it for wifi scanning and it worked.

7. Mr. Penguin

Thanks for letting us know. They are in the load folder. I suspect possibly a driver conflict. Although, I have been told it does work off the bat by another user. Go figure o_O

8. MikeJacob

MikeJacob Member

I Have an Internal Atheros Wireless card too. Worked With all the beini 1.2.1, 1.2.2, 1.2.3, 1.2.4 but didn't work with xiaopan 0.4.2.3 cause I have the same problem, now i understand the fix and what i must write in the terminal, But What's the Path? (/path/to/where/you/put/ath9k_common.ko)

9. Mr. Penguin

From memory it is the compat-wireless folder. MikeJacob what version are you using?

Need some help from:
    IhateTim
    creezalird
    tjl

Does this command work?
    Code:
    Select All
    locate -i ath9k
    This command might also assist you:
    Code:
    Select All
    sudo lspci | grep Atheros
    Ok, found it. In Beini 1.2.5 it is in:
    Code:
    Select All
    /lib/modules/3.0.21-tinycore/updates/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k

10. MikeJacob

MikeJacob Member

I'm using xiaopan 0.4.2.3 and I found the driver in /lib/modules/3.0.21-tinycore/updates/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k
    but when i put in the path (modprobe ath9k_common /lib/modules/3.0.21-tinycore/updates/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k) It Sais:"modprobe can't load module ath9k_common(/updates/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k/ath9k_common.ko): Unknown Symbole in Module or Unknown parameter"
    P.S: I did preceed it by writing
    modprobe -l | grep ath

11. KoMoDo

KoMoDo New Member

+1 on the whole thing. I'm running XiaoPan 0.4.2.3 on a USB disk drive too. After I did the modprobe - l | grep ath command, it did show up a dir where ath9k_common should be. So I tried that one as well but to no avail.
    I really want to crack some wi-fi's! :) Basically seems like all you need is Inflator ? Will it crack WPA/WPA2 too or just WEP ? (Which, luckily for me is enough)

Also, I saw there's aircrack-ng installed but no aerodump or the other scripts necessary for that script range ?
    Thanks!

12. Fantasma

Fantasma Well-Known Member

KoMoDo I can say what i was saying since the first issue reported with the AR9285 chipset & Xiaopan 0.4.2.2 and 0.4.2.3 If you tried both versions and not work at all, try Xiaopan 0.4.1 i can assure your card will be detected and will work very well. there is a xiaopan 0.4.1 with minidwep-gtk 30419, it includes reaver. it can crack wpa-wpa2 if your network has enabled wps security

13. KoMoDo

KoMoDo New Member

I will try that. What about WEP ? I used aircrack in the past but XiaoPan doesn't seem to cover all the aircrack systems so I need Backtrack but it's too big for my USB disk drive :(

I guess ignore that message, I got Slitaz so I'll try that one for my WEP first.

Ok actually 0.4.1 indeed does work! But minidwep and feedingbottle give me a "No client found" message so it's not going anywhere. What's up with that ? Also, when I set it to WPA it just said it's waiting for a beacon from the AP for like 5 minutes and I figured that's not going anywhere either.

Thanks!

14. Fantasma

With Xiaopan you can easily crack wep with feeding bottle and minidwep. i think minidwep is more easy to use, just a couple clicks and you are done. ;)

15. KoMoDo

KoMoDo New Member

Yep you're right it's super easy but I am barely getting IV's on the thing, not sure if it's my fault or the programs. After over an hour I got like 30 "data" meaning IV's. I ran aireplay with minidwep as well but it doesn't seem to boost the IV's. Advice ?

16. Mr. Penguin

What signal strength are you getting at the AP you want to attack? Is injection working? Also it might be a static connection. Meaning the AP isn't using the network as would normally occur during use.

17. KoMoDo

KoMoDo New Member

Between 40-60. What do I need to do to get injection started ? I figured thats aireplay's job. Also, the WPA connection seems to not have WPS enabled ? I mean, when I scan for it it doesn't show up on minidwep as an option (if I remember correctly)

18. Fantasma

in minidwep for crack wep, you only have to scan for ap's , select one and click the Lanch button, then it work by itself.
    for wpa-wpa2 you have to change the search option from wep to wpa and scan for ap's. the ap's with wps enabled are displayed ---wps
    then you can select one and launch reaver

19. KoMoDo

KoMoDo New Member

Yes so I guess it's got WPS disabled then.

20. Fantasma

reaver ONLY can crack wpa-wpa2 with wps enabled

• About Us

We are a community mixed with professionals and beginners with an interest in wireless security, auditing and pentesting. Feel free to check out and upload resources.

You can also find us on: Twitter and Facebook

• Donate to Us

Did you find our forums useful? Feel free to donate Bitcoin to us using the form below. Those who donate the equivlent of $10 USD or more will be upgraded to VIP membership. Don't have Bitcoin? Use your credit card to GO VIP here. Don't want to fork out some coin? There are other ways to GO VIP. Bitcoin: 1LMTGSoTyJWXuy2mQkHfgMzD7ez74x1Z8K