Issue wn111v2 Not Being Detected in Xiaopan Slitaz v2 in VMware

Discussion in 'Xiaopan Support' started by knottz, 4 Mar 2013.

1. knottz

knottz Member

Have you researched the issue before?:
    yes. everytime i come accross instructions, they do not work(one set had instuctions to drag and drop a driver folder, this cant be done in xiaopan​
    What is the Issue?:
    i have xiaopan 4.5.1 and i cannot get on a network. im on a dell inspirion which has a dell has an intel centrino wireless n1030 and im also using a usb wireless adapter (rangemax wn111v2 usb stick) how do i download the drivers into xiaopan? how do i install said drivers? ive tried running it as a virtual machine as live cd, both are not working for me. please help. i would like to get this up and running ASAP.
    1. im using both 0.4.5.1 and os slitaz v2
    Ultimately, What are you trying to achieve?:
    Hack WEP with Minidwep and / or FeedingBottle
    What is your wireless device model?:
    rangemax wn111v2
    USB or Internal Device?:
    USB
    How are you using it?:
    I am using Xiaopan in VMware
    Operating System:
    Windows
    If you used a Live CD or USB How did you create it?:

What version:
    Xiaopan OS | Slitaz v2

2. Fantasma

Fantasma Well-Known Member

1.- Internal cards won't work on VM environments
    2.- Your usb card is based on Atheros AR9001 and should work with the atk9 driver (guess)
    3.- Do you plugged your usb card until xiaopan is booted fully? (once you can move the mouse)

3. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

Tagging Aby$m so he can respond to your question in due time and I think meknb can also help you with driver issues.

The drivers are in compat-wireless: http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WN111v2 and the one you need is the carl9170 driver. I think if you remastered the ISO with an older version of compat-wireless it could work. Do you have the card already plugged in? before you boot up?

Now, internal cards do not work with Virtualisation. You must run it live.

Gawd damn, Fantasma, you beat my reply lol

You posted about this here as well: Netgear WN111 Compatible?

4. knottz

knottz Member

i do plug in the netgear usb stick before i boot up and it is still not recognized. im starting to think maybe vm ware is the better way to go?
    ive got the compat wireless driver folder but how do i get it into the virtual machine? \\thanks for all the quick replies by the way

5. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Live is the best, least amount of problems and no shared system resources. But depends what your needs / wants are.

Compat-wireless is a package (tcz) file. You need to modify the ISO. Seek here for guidance: Add Dictionary to Xiaopan

6. knottz

knottz Member

ok well in that case i will bet going to buy a 16GB flash drive, ive got 2 live cds, but today it seems like my computer does not want to boot them up. i just want to be able to start cracking WEP first, then move on to WPS.

also, i though 0.4.5-1 has the compat wireless drivers? cant i install the drivers after the live cd or vm ware machine boots uP?

whats a good iso editor?

7. Fantasma

Try to burn your cd at lower speed possible (4x should work fine) burning a live CD at high speed may result in wrong data

Yes, it has compat wireless

No, you can't install drivers after boot. it must be added on the iso file and modify the onboot.lst to make it work
    I can recommend Ultraiso

8. knottz

knottz Member

if 0.4.5-1 has compat wireless drivers how come my netgear USB rangemax is not seen when i boot up 0.4.5-1 into VM ware? when i use that in VM ware it still says no devices found.

9. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

512mb is enough for Xiaopan :D, depends if you want to use crunch. Then I recommend at least a 4GB.

10. Fantasma

Try unplug and plug your card and wait at least 30 seconds, if it is not recognized after that maybe you will need replace the compat wireless (or buy another card :D )

11. knottz

knottz Member

if 0.4.5-1 has compat wireless drivers how come my netgear USB rangemax is not seen when i boot up 0.4.5-1 into VM ware?

12. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

Have a look at dmesg in a terminal to see if there is any error message about ath