Fixed Xiaopan Detects Wrong Chipset

Discussion in 'Xiaopan Support' started by dooogle, 21 Apr 2013.

1. dooogle

dooogle Well-Known Member

I have installed the latest drivers downloaded from the official Alfa web site for Alfa AWUS 036NH and AWUS 036NHR USB Wireless adapters in my son's Dell Studio XPS 16 laptop (Win 7) and Dell XPS 14 Ultrabook (Win 8). The installation went through without any problems. Under Windows it can detect wifi of my own and neighbours.​
    However when I boot up Xiaopan OS Version 0.4.1 and 0.4.5.2.1 the chipset reported was wlan1 unknown rtl 8192cu instead of rtl 8188RU for NHR and wlan Unknown rt 2800 usb instead of rt 3070 for NH. If you continue selecting SCAN using either Feeding Bottle or minidwep no AP was detected in both cases.​
    I have no problems when using NHR and NH in Win XP desktop and Win 7 desktop. There were no issues when scanning and thereafter running WEP or WPA attacks.​
    Anyway to resolve this problem?​

2. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

That is right

RT3070 / AWUS036NH uses the rt2800 compat-wireless driver: http://wikidevi.com/wiki/ALFA_Network_AWUS036NH
    RTL8188RU / AWUS036NHR uses the rtl8192cu compat-wireless driver: http://wikidevi.com/wiki/ALFA_Network_AWUS036NHR

No APs found, but you said:
    So I am a little confused :thinking:

3. dooogle

I have installed similar drivers on my Desktop Computers (XP and Win 7) and I have no problems running Xiaopan, Feeding Bottle and minidwep. I have problems detecting APs (No APs detected) when I run them in Laptop under Win 7 or Ultrabook under Win 8.

4. Fantasma

Fantasma Well-Known Member

You must connect your usb wireless card until Xiaopan is fully booted to avoid that 0 AP´s issue dude
    please use the search box and you will find a lot of info about that issue and how it is solved :sadwhy:

5. dooogle

Yes my USB wifi adaptor was properly connected at all time. I have also searched the Forum for similar topics and read them trying to resolve my issue.
    As a footnote: Don't buy Dell at least Dell XPS 14 Ultrabook. The wifi sucks and got a lots of problem. If you don't believe Google and look for this topic. I am trying to demand my money back as after 4 months of trying we gave up on any Dell product.

6. Fantasma

Fantasma Well-Known Member

mmm let me see if i understood properly.
    1.- you have a dell laptop (whatever model)
    2.- you have connected your usb wireless card to your laptop
    3.- you booted xiaopan from live usb/cd
    4.- minidwep/feedingbottle show 0 ap's found
    Is that order right? if yes, then you must change the number 3 to number 2 to get the right order to do it right

7. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

Seems funny that it works on your desktop and not on your Son laptop.

8. dooogle

The order/sequence quoted by you is the exact steps I have been using for Desktop Computers and Laptop Computers. I will try out the new sequence as suggested by you later when I get back home. Thanks.

Yes that is what puzzles me!