Linux Crunch - Wordlist Generator

Discussion in 'Software Downloads' started by Mr. Penguin, 10 Jul 2012.

1. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

Description
    Crunch is a wordlist generator where you can specify a standard character set or a character set you specify. crunch can generate all possible combinations and permutations.

Features
    • crunch generates wordlists in both combination and permutation ways
    • it can breakup output by number of lines or file size
    • now has resume support
    • pattern now supports number and symbols
    • pattern now supports upper and lower case characters separately
    • adds a status report when generating multiple files
    • new -l option for literal support of @,%^
    • new -d option to limit duplicate characters see man file for details

Watch this video on YouTube.

Get it on sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/crunch-wordlist/ and for more information: http://crunch-wordlist.sourceforge.net

2. hazz death

hazz death Well-Known Member
    Dev Team VIP

Mr. Penguin how do i save the result to txt file, and how to view it?

3. TCB13

TCB13 Be great

What about John the Ripper?

http://www.openwall.com/john/

It can also generate passwords.
    --- Double Post Merged, 15 Jul 2012 ---

-o : allows you to specify the file to write the output to, eg:
    wordlist.txt

4. hazz death

Dev Team VIP

i think i got some idea from it :) thank you so much! TCB13 i think i want to focus with crunch first, because it already installed on xiaopan

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

hazz death, did you manage to get it to work?
    Code:
    Select All
    -o wordlist.txt
    I haven't used this in years but it should save in the same directory you start crunch and I am pretty sure you can't see the results of it being generated.

6. hazz death

Dev Team VIP

but i cant see the wordlist.txt file everywhere...

7. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

I will have a look tomorrow, edit the post and tag you so you are notified.

• Like Like x 1
  8. hazz death

Dev Team VIP

thank you so much :dance

9. razor64

razor64 New Member

guys please help i've been trying to install it, i've downloaded the tgz unzipped it the i go into the folder but i get error when typing make and also with make install

Code:
    Select All
    ErrOr: Building binary... /usr/bin/gcc -pthread -Wall -pedantic -lm -std=c99 crunch.c -o crunch crunch.c: In function ‘PrintPercentage’: crunch.c:1387:20: warning: variable ‘finall’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable] crunch.c: In function ‘renamefile’: crunch.c:1430:12: warning: variable ‘pidret’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable] crunch.c: In function ‘main’: crunch.c:2348:8: warning: variable ‘loaded’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable] /tmp/ccGuiqAu.o: In function `count_strings': crunch.c:(.text+0x2592): undefined reference to `pow' crunch.c:(.text+0x28fc): undefined reference to `pow' crunch.c:(.text+0x2c95): undefined reference to `pow' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** [crunch] Error 1
    I'm on ubuntu 12.04

plz help me this program looks really awesome and i could really use it?????????

10. gancho

gancho Well-Known Member
    VIP

Guys you can try to install GRIMWEPA, it has Crunch wordlist gen. option

11. razor64

razor64 New Member

i tried GRIMWEPA its awesome but it still doesnt solve my problem , when i choose the crack option crunch it says no crunch found please install and i dont know how to install as i said before i get erros see post above

12. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

You should update your system:
    Code:
    Select All
    sudo apt-get upgrade apt-get upgrade apt-get auto-remove
    You might also need to upgrade your GCC to 4.7.

I believe this is already installed in Backtrack:
    Code:
    Select All
    ~/pentest/passwords/crunch
    If you are on Ubuntu or other you can try:
    Code:
    Select All
    apt-get install crunch
    but it might need an update:
    Code:
    Select All
    apt-get update crunch
    If you want to install this through Ubuntu through wget:
    Code:
    Select All
    wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/crunch-wordlist/files/crunch-wordlist/crunch-3.3.tgz tar xvf crunch-3.3.tgz cd crunch3.3/ or cd crunch-3.3/ make make install
    You should get something like this:
    Code:
    Select All
    [root:/pentest/wordlists/crunch3.3]# ls -lh total 176K -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5.5K 2011-04-06 17:13 charset.lst -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 48K 2011-10-31 19:41 crunch -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16K 2011-07-19 16:42 crunch.1 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 77K 2011-07-19 17:39 crunch.c -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18K 2011-04-06 17:13 GPL.TXT -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.5K 2011-10-31 19:37 Makefile [root:/pentest/wordlists/crunch3.3]# make install Creating directories... /usr/bin/install -d -m 755 -o root -g root /pentest/passwords//crunch /usr/bin/install -d -m 755 -o root -g root /usr/local/share/man/man1 Copying binary... /usr/bin/install crunch -m 755 -o root -g root /pentest/passwords//crunch Copying charset.lst... /usr/bin/install charset.lst -m 644 -o root -g root /pentest/passwords//crunch Installing man page... /usr/bin/install crunch.1 -m 644 -o root -g root /usr/local/share/man/man1
    If not, you might have an issue with the math libraries (math.h) not being linked. cd into the directory containing crunch.c and insert the following command:
    Code:
    Select All
    /usr/bin/gcc -Wall -lm -pthread -std=c99 -m64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 crunch.c -o crunch -lm
    To insert the man page insert the following:
    Code:
    Select All
    install crunch.1 -m 644 -o root -g root /usr/share/man/man1/
    Then repeat the steps above for install.

Watch this video on YouTube.
    Let me know how you go. Make sure you have root permissions and chmod 777 the crunch folder might be a good idea as well.

13. p1ngv1n15ed

p1ngv1n15ed Member

Hello, guys.
    I am new here. Got here by searching my Crunch problem on Google.
    I have the same problem as razor64.
    Code:
    Select All
    ErrOr: Building binary... /usr/bin/gcc -pthread -Wall -pedantic -lm -std=c99 crunch.c -o crunch crunch.c: In function ‘PrintPercentage’: crunch.c:1387:20: warning: variable ‘finall’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable] crunch.c: In function ‘renamefile’: crunch.c:1430:12: warning: variable ‘pidret’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable] crunch.c: In function ‘main’: crunch.c:2348:8: warning: variable ‘loaded’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable] /tmp/ccGuiqAu.o: In function `count_strings': crunch.c:(.text+0x2592): undefined reference to `pow' crunch.c:(.text+0x28fc): undefined reference to `pow' crunch.c:(.text+0x2c95): undefined reference to `pow' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** [crunch] Error 1
    Tried you solution and it is the same.
    I’ve got Kubuntu Linux 3.2.0-26-generic, KDE SC Version 4.8.4
    Please help me. If you’ve got any ideas.

14. Fantastic

Fantastic Well-Known Member
    VIP

Hi Mr. Penguin, is crunch resume supported in xiaopan?if yes can you teach me how?and thank you

15. undersc0re

undersc0re Active Member

I am having issues getting crunch to spit out what I want, if someone can help it would be nice. My router as well as many others always start with 2511 and then 8 more numbers follow that but those 8 next numbers are totally random, so the wpa router password would look something like this, 251188619966. So I am trying to generate multiple files probably around 200mb each until all possible combinations are done, not sure how many gigs it will be or how many files it will need to spit out. I am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to get crunch to do thos and what exactly the command you would enter. I am getting close but having hard time.