AWUS036NHR v AWUS036NH Comparison

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking Cards' started by Mr. Penguin, 11 Jul 2012.

1. nder

nder Active Member

so guys shall i buy the NHA adapter?? because im going to penetrate wpa-psk,wep, the range is weak how if i change the antena to 9dbi or higher?? it will cost me more than 100 to buy this adapter here

2. Remington

Remington Well-Known Member
    VIP

I had the NHA directly connected to my 14dbi panel and it was still useless for signal strength, I sold it after 1 week. The 8187L is much stronger.

3. nder

nder Active Member

so which 1 shall i buy ??

4. estimacamry

estimacamry Tracker
    VIP

Get the one with RTL8187L if you don't mind without "N". If you think RM100+ is too much just grab any china made adapter with RTL8187L chipset which cost less than RM100. Plenty for you to choose from here "lelong.com"

5. nder

nder Active Member

but
    but bro we in malaysia got the use of N izit ?? im confused with the terms i knw that only g so in order to penetrate wpa psk/wep which 1 ?? better and i will be using this in my university campus...need to be worth

6. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

@nder When a network is N enabled not mixed mode you can get 450mb/s while if you run a G it is only 56mb/s from memory.

7. nder

nder Active Member

from the previous post they told the NHA is not recommended ? and the H is quite old.so which 1 should i choose H / NH / NHR / NHA or other brand ??

8. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

It comes down to personal preference @nder and what you really want it for. There is no golden card.

H for distance connection and cracking networks. People say that this is old and slow but still the best for packet injection.
    NHA for cracking and connecting to N networks with speed. People complain that this card does not connect at long distance but say signal quality is amazing.

9. nder

nder Active Member

owh okay i will be using in my university campus and also for packet injection...

10. Fantasma

Fantasma Well-Known Member

Please read carefully here: AWUS036NHR v AWUS036NH Comparison
    And then make a decision. enough questions and answers has been made about this topic...

11. nder

nder Active Member

hi there it is easy to fine tune the adapter all u need is a higher output of this chip SE2576L and it will easily boost the range (signal strength) but u need to replace the chip..if i get my adapter i will try to tune it and see the result and if anyone have a malfunction adapter please let me know

12. TCB13

TCB13 Be great

Hello everyone,
    I've been testing the new AWUS051NH (802.11a/b/g/n Wireless USB adapter) and it works really well. Out of the box with the latest version of Kali, full injection support, the WiFi range since it's an "n" capable card is good and the output vs sensitivity is very well calibrated to the other features.
    I would really recommend this card to anyone looking for the definitive replacement for the classic AWUS036H!

--- Double Post Merged, 26 Sep 2013 ---
    I would, because it supports "n" and for honeypots/rougue/fakeAPs etc it also support hardware based AP, witch is great. But still for everyday aircrack/reaver usage AWUS051NH would be better.

• Like Like x 1
  13. nder

nder Active Member

hello bro i want to buy an adapter i want to crack wpa psk,wep, i want to make my money worth so can u sugest me the best 1 im a newbie

#113 nder, 26 Sep 2013
    Last edited: 26 Sep 2013
  14. TCB13

TCB13 Be great

So, this will update my older review on the cards, including the new one.

Alfa AWUS036H (the legacy, gray one): http://www.alfa.com.tw/in/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=AWUS036H
    Is the best card available on the market, its compatible with everything, every os, every tool. And it's cheap this days. It has a great output power of 1-2W that make it able to work with big antennas without any issues.
    Alfa AWUS036NH (green one): http://www.alfa.com.tw/in/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=AWUS036NH
    This was the original attempt to replace AWUS036H with a "n" ready card, it failed big time. The performance of this card even on windows is really bad. You will get much more signal in a "g" network with an AWUS036H than with this one working in "n" mode. The Kali driver is stable now.​

Alfa AWUS036NHR (white one): http://www.alfa.com.tw/in/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=AWUS036NHR
    This card was the second attempt to replace AWUS036H with a "n" ready card, it almost got there. The signal quality matches what is expected and the card works well normally under Windows. Drivers in Kali work but are unstable specially on the 32 bits version. Injection may fail sometimes.
    Alfa AWUS036NHA (black one): http://www.alfa.com.tw/in/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=AWUS036NHA
    Could replace the old RT8187L AWUS036H card since it works really well with Kali out of the box. The card is Atheros based and works fine with all the tools like reaver, supports injection, scans well. The big downside in this card is the output power, very low and it can't be matched to any of the card above (limited to 650mW).
    I would recommend this card only for daily usage or wifi research (maybe creating rouge-APs) since it's Atheros chip supports all WiFi modes built in the hardware like AP. (Instead fake software based AP modes created by tools like airbase-ng that really use a lot of CPU).

Side Note: No OSX support.
    Alfa AWUS051NH (gold one): http://www.alfa.com.tw/products_show.php?pc=67&ps=23#sthash.rcXl6b8I.dpuf
    I see this card as the one and only complete replacement for the old good AWUS036H! This card works extremely well in every OS, Windows, Linux, OSX, the drivers built into Kali work just fine out of the box and are very stable.​
    This card is 802.11a/b/g/n it supports more WiFi modes even than AWUS036NHA and from my tests the wifi output power (max. 700mW typ. 500mW) vs sensitivity is very well calibrated and you can attach it to a big antenna without major issues. Another interesting feature is that it can work both in 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz modes, so it's an interesting card for the future.​
    Site Note: The include OSX driver works perfectly.​

Conclusion: If you're about to buy a card, you should:
    1. Buy AWUS036H (legacy gray) if you don't care about "n" compatibly and you prefer to stay with the old and good more than proven tech;
    2. Buy AWUS036NHR (white one) for maximum output power, but note that's not everything and the drivers are bad;
    3. Buy AWUS036NHA (black one) if you care about "n" and you to do serious WiFi research and experimentation (Rougue-APs, WiFi frame analysis etc);
    4. Buy AWUS051NH (gold one) if you want to cover more networks a/b/g/n @ 2.4 and 5.8Ghz. IMHO this card is the best choice since it's the "middle point" of all the other cards, works fine, supports all tools, drivers for everything, can access every network, output power/sensitivity well calibrated.

15. Crackerz Wave

Crackerz Wave The Dictator

what is the card manafactured?

16. mikus lockjaw

mikus lockjaw Well-Known Member

somehow blew up my NHR it just stopped working. not sure if it's a production error or over clocking the thing. But it's broke. anyone know how to fix it, or find out whats wrong. it is still picked up yet shows NO possible connections.

17. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Contact ALFA @mikus lockjaw. They are quite good when it comes to things like this. Just be nice and ask for the new v2 version as a replacement.

18. Remington

Remington Well-Known Member
    VIP

A lot of NHR's "just stopped working", your not alone.

19. gc90pt

gc90pt Member

so i was thinking of buying AWUS036NHA or AWUS036H , but since i saw TCB13 review post im considering the AWUS051NH. My major concern here is the range , i've been reading and seems that the 36H is better in range but slower than the 36NHA right? , what about the AWUS051NH ? is there a big difference between 36h range and the AWUS051NH ? Could someone post a comparasion screenshot of this 3 cards side by side running airodump to see the real range difference between them ?

20. TCB13

TCB13 Be great

You already know my opinion about the 51NH, still here is the test you asked for.
    [​IMG]
    PS: I don't have an NHA to add here.

• Like Like x 1