Windows New ALFA 036H Modded Drivers + Homebrewed & Improved by Me

Discussion in 'Wireless Drivers & Utilities' started by kevsamiga, 18 Nov 2013.

1. kevsamiga

kevsamiga Well-Known Member
    VIP

(link at the end)

I can now satisfactorily release my finished homebrew RTL8187L updated drivers with mods for all Windows versions created by me.

Please share and enjoy...

In order to give you more potential of working without the frustration and breath more
    life into your ALFA 036H under Windows...

I wasn't satisfied with the provided drivers, so I decided to extensively experiment & test, and kludge them to suit my own tastes. :)

I have now finished constructing a final version I am more than satisifed with.

Here is what you may now have as options as a result :

Advanced driver options settings implemented in device manager and .inf+config changes :
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XP
    Implemented Fixed data rate parameters
    Implemented Wireless mode b/bg parameter (was missing completely under XP)
    Implemented Preamble
    Implemented 802.11d enable/disable (default disabled)
    Implemented Adapter Network Address substitution (for MAC address spoofing under Windows :) )
    (default is normal MAC)

Vista/7
    Implemented Maximum packet size parameter
    Implemented Fixed data rate parameters
    Implemented Fragmentation threshold parameter
    Implemented RTS Threshold parameter
    Implemented PSP X-Link mode parameter
    Implemented 802.11d enable/disable (default disable)
    Implemented Adapter Network Address substitution (for MAC address spoofing under Windows :) )
    (default is normal MAC)

Re-implemented Forced data rates are 1,2,5.5,11 (11b CCK modulation)
    6,9,12,18,24,36,48,54 (11g OFDM modulation)

Now in *combination* with the re-implemented Wireless mode parameter in XP as well as already available in Vista/7 along with re-introduced forced/fixed data rate selection now available to you ALFA 036H can now reach and connect usably much further and reliably than before using a combination of Wireless mode selection set to 11b and forced/fixed data rates lower than 11Mbps enabling you to connect to more access points than was ever possible before under Windows.

In this case the rate adaptive parameter setting has no effect, since you are now forcing the rate. Returning the Fixed Data Rate parameter to Auto restores rate adaptation.

Due to you now being able to use forced/fixed data rates down to 1Mb in combination with 11b
    mode in Windows 7 (also now possible in Windows XP too) which wasn't possible before now. Just selecting the forced rates by themselves is not enough, you need to also choose the correct mode (11b or 11b/g) for 100% working.

Normally you would not achieve any connection at all using the normal provided drivers as
    the scaling back below 11mbps seems broken, so it would fail to connect before, so this functionality is now very useful for marginal connections. :)

Implemented TCP keepalive mechanism (if it works same as 8187SE)

Unlocked RegDomain selection ability at install time.

GUI changes:
    ----------------
    Updated UI to .187 (2012 Realtek control panel for more reliability backported for RTL8187L use :) )

Removed control panel options that are inconsistent across selected OS versions
    or do not work for selected OS etc.

RT-Set removed as interferes with Zeroconfig setting for XP and/or non working in some
    cases under Win7.

Any missing functionality is now in Driver advanced options anyway where it actually belongs
    and works 100%, and corresponding GUI options that didn't work given the boot.

TX Power control setting and more.
    --------------------------------------------

Default output power is output at 100%. Normal non P/C drivers output at 100% by default anyway.

So.... I changed the power control settings driver to install @ 100% tx power inline with
    non power control drivers installation to end confusion and can be scaled back as necessary.

Under ETSI domain this DOES NOT MEAN 30dbm of TX power, but 100% of output power allowed in ETSI domain ie, 100mw or 20dbm.

So any less than 100% setting in this domain does not make much sense.
    (Setting can be lowered if closer to AP or to save on laptop battery etc.)

Unlocked WPS options (WPS 1.0 and external registrar)
    Unlocked easy sharing options
    Unlocked WPS 2.0 options
    Unlocked Wired external registrar options
    Unlocked WiFi direct options
    Unlocked Wireless Mesh mode

Fixed errors and omissions throughout the entire files and tidied everything up
    and cleaned up .inf files.

Drivers are branded ALFA throughout as opposed to realtek and icons changed.

Driver package tested across dual boot Win7/XP for accuracy and consistency to
    make sure options all work correct and doesn't crash or anything. Reintroducing short
    and long retry limits into Vista/7 did, that's why they are not available.

It is stable and works very well this end. I can guarantee no malware or nasties,
    However all use is entirely at your own risk.

These homemade improvements are free for everyone to use to help you get more life/functionality out of your old but still good ALFA 036H adapter.

These work and are tested 100% properly, and are what should have come on the CD instead
    of the mess that came with your ALFA 036H. :)

FAQ
    -----
    Q. Driver install under Windows XP keep enabling and disabling the adapter.
    (not related to these drivers but can happen to any drivers you install)

A. You either need to use a powered hub, or alternatively re-install the Aegis5 component
    that has been inadvertently removed from a CMD prompt changed to directory
    to the Realtek wireless LAN driver folder in C:\program files
    and re-install Aegis5 by AegisI5.exe -vendor realtek and restart and the problem should
    be solved.

Hope you enjoy my work on fixing this complete mess up...
    kevsamiga 2013.

RTL8187L_TXCONTROL_FIXED_FINAL_UI_1.00.0187.L
    --- Double Post Merged, 18 Nov 2013 ---
    PS. Added recieve and transmit buffer parameters on all drivers, not listed in the notes...

#1 kevsamiga, 18 Nov 2013
    Last edited: 18 Nov 2013
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. pian

pian Member

[​IMG]

can u help me with this...i had this problem since the old driver
    btw thanks for the new driver..seems lots of function u added in it =)

3. rioboy

rioboy Well-Known Member

Thanks again for your input and very much appreciate your time, effort, and shared knowledge and experiences.

I have downloaded and is there a hash file to confirm authenticity/integrity of download?

I will image backup my partition before I experiment with installation this week and will post my findings for xp,vista,win 7.

Has your Kasens arrived ? Im wondering how good the small flat panel dish is? a 9dbi panel?

BTW I presume drivers are for x36 and x64?

I run a powered hub with normal 5m usb cable (el cheapo) appears to be OK but awaiting delivery of a boosted 5m cable to compare.

4. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

How can he when the image is micro and can't read the error?

5. kevsamiga

VIP

Yes, the drivers are for all OS apart from Win98 or Windows ME.

The drivers are not hashed in any way, but from that link above they are always genuine (and can be checked against any a/v and will always pass).

I don't believe in screwing peoples system with malware. It's not my style, if you want to check for legitimacy, I suggest heading over to Guru3D forums, where I also modded Radeon drivers for legacy 4000 series cards, under the handle Kevsamiga1974 if you are in any doubt. :)

I use these drivers what I made/modded myself, they are free to share and use if you want the "improvements". Everything added/improved is already documented of sorts, and I doubt you will experience issues using them because I went the extra mile in testing across multiple OS.

It was necessary for the drivers to have a red notification warning at install (which can be safely ignored), since the .inf files were heavily changed (necessary to implement the mods and integrate being able to change the MAC address taken from how Realtek Ethernet drivers does it, and it now works for your wifi adapter aswell to change the MAC address to something random !)

Good if you don't want your trusty 036H confiscated if you are doing any naughty things you shouldn't be, or for getting around MAC access list control when no other adapter will do. :)

The kernel .sys files are still signed though, which is necessary for x64 OS anyway, the .sys files haven't changed in any way.

I could not have done any hacks to the kernel files without re-signing the files, which would only have worked on my own machine anyway and no one else's.

My Kasens arrived today, well after I made the trek to go grab it (had been sitting at the delivery office for a week, no one delivered it, and no card was left, typical)

It's the G9000 one with RTL8187L and a humoungous 18dbi Omni (larger than the Alfa ARS-N19)

It's still way too early for me to assess any improvements/negatives (if any) against ALFA 036H, but these drivers also of course work fine for the 8187 variant of Kasens G9000, however the MAC addy of the Kasens by default on doing a search seems unknown compared to ALFA 036H which I don't mind at all btw. :)

#5 kevsamiga, 19 Nov 2013
    Last edited: 19 Nov 2013
  6. rioboy

rioboy Well-Known Member

7. kevsamiga

VIP

Ah, it's been a long trek to the post office today, I'd only just woke up when writing that.

If the file is corrupted in any way please report, so then I can fix the archive.

However, I re-downloaded the package just to check, and it's fine. :)

Currently testing Kasens with ALFA MP-04 panel...

The 18dbi Omni included seems more like a 10dbi omni. Omni's are crap anyway for distance.

I'm seeing higher signal strengths than ALFA, but lower signal quality, don't know if that's the weather though since it's been raining here today and outside is wet.

First impressions are good though. I wanted a backup of RTL8187L in case ALFA 036H dies a death early.

I have far too many gizmo's with Ralink 3070's, I don't like the drivers for Ralink because although they work fine as is, there is nothing to tweak as it were, or force wireless modes etc.
    --- Double Post Merged, 19 Nov 2013 ---
    -----
    On another note....

I also wanted to re-implement in this driver :

TPC_STR = "Transmit Power Control" Adaptive TX power control enable/disable

and

HIGH_POWER_STR = "High Power Mechanism"

Presumably the same function as iwpriv highpower 1 in older Linux kernals

However I could find no documents or examples of how these items are supposed to implemented in Ndi\params\ in the .inf
    stretching back to 2005 drivers.

#7 kevsamiga, 19 Nov 2013
    Last edited: 19 Nov 2013
  8. rioboy

rioboy Well-Known Member

your certainly doing some great homework and sharing the benefit to us all, its much appreciated :)

Whats your view on 5m boosted usb cable ?

The 5m cable im waiting for has the signal box with electronics at one end of the cable but from photos im not sure which end its on the male plug or the female.

My thought is and if you can kindly share your experience is, will it matter which way round the booster box is located, with or with out a powered hub?

ie plugged in so the booster is closer to the Alfa or closer to the PC USB port?

Its an after thought now Im thinking if if I made the right choice of adapters for the cable.

The male end will plug into the PC port or powered hub and the female end I will have a female to mini b plug so it fits the Alfa. I will use it on both 036H and NHR.

9. kevsamiga

VIP

I have no experience of this particular setup, so therefore can't comment anything useful or of help, sorry.

I use a New Link USB 2.0 powered hub containing single TT, with 1M RG58 cable runs at most to the back of the adapters.
    --- Double Post Merged, 22 Nov 2013 ---
    I'm still working on further improvements and refinements for this modded driver to come for the next version released....

Such as the ability to enable on chip RTL8187L repetitive impulse noise protection no one knew existed ! amongst other goodies. :)

Stay tuned..........
    --- Double Post Merged, 22 Nov 2013 ---
    Version 2 cleanup release and improvements 22/11/2013
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Added Wireless mode selection to W2K install (was missing)

Corrected Realtek uninstall to ALFA uninstall in Add/remove programs and
    and other icon changes.

Changed RTS and Frag thresholds to 2432 across all driver versions to
    maintain consistency with GUI parameters.

Reimplemented CCX IHV service for all OS drivers (in .inf)

Re-added CCX_IHV and EAP folder back into the package for completeness.

Added CCX Driver device manager advanced page properties.

CCX diagnostics (RTlUI2.exe) now fully working when run from /System32.

Updated all Cisco LEAP/FAST/PEAP modules to higher versions and flipped
    the switch again to install them by default

(default RTL8187 ones included before have uninstall/issues, and they are also dog OLD)

Removed preliminary keep alive switch test (didn't work as expected)

Package uninstall now removes cisco modules installed at install time automatically
    and not leaving any modules behind when driver uninstalled.

Changed item name from "Fixed Data Rate" to "Forced Data Rate", as makes more sense.

SSID driver item restored for Win7 to match Vista/XP behaviour.

Added Beacon Interval in Advanced driver options.

Added further undocumented RTL8187L features for all OS.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Impulse Noise Protection switch in Advanced driver options (Enabled by default)

Tested on Kasens G9000 RTL8187L/Alfa 036H v5.

Simple File Sharing and Storage.
    --- Double Post Merged, 23 Nov 2013 ---
    ^^^^^^

Don't just grab them and disappear ppl, leave some feedback and comments about your experience with using them.

Version 3 is already underway with even MORE undocumented features and tweaks exposed for RTL8187L coming soon to this thread.

Drivers work on both ALFA 036H v5 or Kasens G9000 RTL8187L adapters.

#9 kevsamiga, 20 Nov 2013
    Last edited: 23 Nov 2013
  10. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

That should really be at the front of your post :D

Let me know if you want me to move it for more exposure.

11. rioboy

rioboy Well-Known Member

Impulse Noise Protection switch in Advanced driver options (Enabled by default)

I wonder if this is whats used in AWUS036NHR for better S/N than other Alfas?

Have you tweaked drivers for NHR?

So far I have your HomeBrew running running straight on XP and there it shows even a weak signal gets locked on with link quality low to medium level (nothing to do with your drivers the link quality)

Also it now runs on Vista as opposed to forcing Alfa to run in XP mode with same results but I think it works better in XP than Vista.

In Win 7 Im afraid the homebrew runs forced in XP mode the win 7 drivers would not work....hmmmm and that was after a factory reset on win 7 with sp2 installed and all updates.

Forced in XP mode is working better than Alfa or Realtek factory drivers so you deserve a big fat cheque for your efforts!

My win 7 is 32bit Home Premium and would like any readers to chime in just to say if they are running and what drivers in win 7?

To sum up I would say job well done and recommend your HomeBrew to anyone reading even if they have no issues but from a performance point theres is a difference, OK I forced in XP mode for Win 7 but I also forced XP mode for various other Alfa and Realtek drivers that were runnning but I have to say Home Brew is the ticket :) Im sure others will run win 7 and vista installs with out my bad luck and see a difference.

I will be getting some numbers out on some testing over the Holidays to post in New Year.

PS

your download is set private mode so cant access files.

12. kevsamiga

VIP

I haven't tweaked drivers for NHR, no, because I don't own one to test, all my devices are RTL8187, Ralink 3070, or Atheros AR9271/50006X at this end.

Should be able to download V2 now, I changed access permissions (maybe) after faffing around
    with mediafires new user interface monstrosity...

(Mediafire made some changes (nasty) recently and is playing up for everyone, and prevents d/l in some cases on every X file uploaded)

If download access to V2 still doesn't work, Please tell. I may have to find another upload site for these drivers...
    because mediafire has become unreliable/bad. And I was using an old account anyhoo.

Version 3 (final release with full notes is ready for upload in next hours, so check back)

Infact they're already done.....I just don't have any time spare atm. I will check access permissions this time as well.

There won't be any more drivers coming out since 2011 from realtek anymore, but with these mods and updates at least you can MAC spoof and force data rates and 802.11b mode across all OS now which was inconsistent/not working before, and because of these extensive changes and corrections maybe reach that little bit further than before was possible finding out what information I can, which is a) correct to implement according to research and b) how other drivers do it and c) scanning the RTL8187.sys to see if it's actually supported, and then testing and implementing it across a dual boot OS... :)

This however has took a lot of time testing, making sure new options don't crash, and play nice, and actually work etc...

Other thoughts...

You say in your post Windows 7 Sp2 (unnofficial maybe) ?!? maybe this is the cause of the troubles.

I'm running Win7 x86 SP1 (but i've also ran Win7 x64 SP1before aswell). And I always run clean and light (there are hardly any icons on the desktop). The drivers work fine for me in this case from a clean install under Win7 SP1 as tested. I reckon since it works on XP/Vista, something you are using on Windows 7 is in conflict with the driver although what without seeing your system i cannot say...it works this end, but then I remember before, you always had a bad time with any Windows 7 driver even the official ones.
    --- Double Post Merged, 28 Nov 2013 ---
    Version 3 FINAL RELEASE
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Defined a setup value of 7 for short+long retry limits for Vista/7 (same values as XP default)
    No value was defined at install before, so overwrite any value defined with 7 (same as XP setup)
    However the driver settings item can not be fully re-introduced into Vista/7 as available in XP
    without causing BSODs as explained previously, but is at least now set to the same as XP does it for consistency.

Reinstated Keep Alive mechanism
    (it does work after all after cross referencing and checking of driver sys files)

Restored inactive power state parameters, (setup to 1 (inactive power save))

Set roam retry limits to 24 (seconds) as per other drivers.

Removed Transmit and Recieve buffer parameters (not applicable to driver according to research)

Device Manager advanced settings added
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked Enable/Disable VWifi Support (For Windows 7 driver applicable only)
    Unlocked Roaming Sensitivity Level (Default Roaming Disabled)
    (Device should not now roam (by disconnecting) on low SS or missing beacons,
    parameter was unset previously anywhere)
    Unlocked Leisure PS mode (relevant running on laptop batteries instead of AC)
    Unlocked ATIM window
    Unlocked Radio On/Off Advanced driver page switch
    Unlocked DTIM period
    Unlocked Qos and WMM_APSD parameters (defaults disabled) + WMM Parameters in GUI > Advanced unlocked.
    Unlocked High Power Mechanism (same as linux iwpriv highpower 1 on older kernals I guess)

*DISCLAIMER

I'm not responsible for you fooling around with this last option if you destroy your adapter,
    or if your goldfish all get toasted, or weld the only part of your anatomy that's animated together. :)

(it is disabled by default and by design, and still highly experimental state whether it works as is)

IF YOU VALUE YOUR ADAPTER, LEAVE THIS SETTING ALONE, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.......

Scaled back the TX power to a "play it safe" at 20% 20dbm(100mw) by default
    installation, so you don't inadvertently destroy your device enabling the TX High Power Mechanism
    while the output was already at 100%.

Extra's Added
    --------------------

Added in the release notes folder
    Utility Release notes.
    Included as a *bonus* inside release notes folder
    non power control x.1313 standalone modded non beta driver pack
    for all OS from Win98 to Win7 containing most useful options unlocked
    and not pertaining to powercontrol for those wanting to install safe non beta
    (unlocked) driver only without any GUI. And new unlocks for Win98/ME.

*Note

Drivers will never work under Windows 8, because Windows 8 doesn't like any
    .inf changes with Windows 8 new version of patchguard unlike XP, Vista, 7.

The research took a long time, and the provided default drivers were a mess with
    mistakes and ommissions everywhere written by some chimpanzees.

I hope you now enjoy the many improvements for your 036H as I do. :)

Link to final Version 3

RTL8187L_V3_FINAL_UI_1.00.0187.L
    That would be a good idea. Also maybe explaining there are now 3 versions posted below so people don't just grab the one at the top and miss out on improvements from the ones below.
    Realtek driver FAQ addendum:

Q.

I can't seem to install any older Realtek drivers without getting this strange
    "Service or display name is already in use error" and a borked install and a non working
    driver as a result.

A.

This error occurs (though not with these drivers, but other older drivers out there you might try)
    due to a mistake in the .inf, and driver install failure results due to incorrect display names
    in the driver .inf you are trying to install as read below :

;; Source disk name

The correct items that will *not* throw an install failure should read as follows :

DISKNAME = "Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter Driver Disk"
    RTL8187.DeviceDesc = "Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter"
    RTL8187.DeviceDesc.DispName = "Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter"
    RTL8187.DeviceDesc.Surecom = "SURECOM EP-9001-g 802.11g 54M WLAN USB Adapter"
    RTL8187.DeviceDesc.Sitecom = "SITECOM WL-168 Wireless Network USB Adapter 54g"

Whereas the old drivers that are broken and preventing install due to service name issues the text reads as follows :

DISKNAME = "Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter Driver Disk"
    RTL8187.DeviceDesc = "Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter"
    RTL8187.DeviceDesc.DispName = "Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter"
    RTL8187.DeviceDesc.Surecom = "SURECOM EP-9001-g 802.11g 54M WLAN USB Adapter"
    RTL8187.DeviceDesc.Sitecom = "SITECOM WL-168 Wireless Network USB Adapter 54g"

Spot the difference ?!?

A tiny omission of b/g instead of g causes the whole driver install to fail...

It's a trivial 1 minute copy and paste operation of the .inf file
    to correct the above error to get *any* old particular driver
    you are interested in installing for RTL8187L, to now allow you
    to install them and fixes the error...

#12 kevsamiga, 28 Nov 2013
    Last edited: 28 Nov 2013
  13. rioboy

rioboy Well-Known Member

You say in your post Windows 7 Sp2 (unnofficial maybe) ?!? maybe this is the cause of the troubles.

Wish it was that simple my OS is as supplied OEM with laptop

I have to read over your post again to absorb the changes.............. nice work !

14. kevsamiga

VIP

As you probably guessed...

I'm not a fan of "artificial restrictions" and "hiding" of driver options which are useful, at least to me for MAC spoofing
    and forced data rate changes to connect to distant AP's in 802.11b mode. Since 802.11b mode is still relevant to connect
    as at 1mbps extends you out to around 500ft + indoors given the right conditions.

There's no point with fooling with a distant AP if you can only pull these forced data rate and
    MAC spoofing tricks with Alfa036h under Linux alone, when windows is where most of the time is spent using your Alfa
    in most cases to actually *use* the connection.

I couldn't even connect to some AP's that were too far before, but by forcing 11b mode and lower data rates I can reach a little
    bit further than before using the bog standard drivers with no useful options exposed.

This is all based on an indoor environment btw. Outdoors there should be even greater benefit of being able to change
    modes and rates.

Now that I've had some time to test Kasens G9000 RTL8187 alongside ALFA036H, Sorry to say, but I actually prefer it over
    using Alfa, where it seems you are just paying for the name., comparing the two...it's also colour co-ordinated with the Alfa 7db panel. :)

To all intents and purposes, there is no obvious difference to ALFA 036H neither in use or behaviour, nor ability. They have exactly the same
    chips, and likely similar circuitry.

However the SMA connector on the Kasens G9000 is more robust and less liable to break, and for the price for a holy grail RTL8187L
    chipped adapter it just can't be beat. Could afford to buy 3 for the same price as the Alfa, doesn't matter if one dies really.

The Alfa 036H would be a better deal these days if they did away with the 5dbi antenna (which is actually quite weak) and put 7dbi panel minimum in the
    box instead, for a much lower price. RTL8187L might have had it's day in driver support, and the chip is now a little bit "dusty" and "slow" being from circa 2005,
    but then everyone knows how little trouble it gives under Linux for pen testing compared to other "newer" fancy chips that are/or can be a complete pain, although
    Atheros 5K or 9K is completely fine for reavering (if you can grab a signal in the first place that is).

Not sure how a TP-LINK WN722N (AR9271) stacks up to an Alfa NHA (AR9271) or whether there would be any difference, but in my case with the 722N the
    signals are abysmally piss poor and weak.

15. agent0range

agent0range Well-Known Member
    VIP

ill be trying this out

• Laugh My Ass Off Laugh My Ass Off x 1
  16. kevsamiga

VIP

I discovered some more "interesting" stuff after another night burning the midnight oil, so....

There will be a small V 3.1 update to these drivers packaged sometime later when I have some
    spare time, and then my little project to improve the ALFA/Realtek RTL8187L drivers is finished.

So this will then indeed be the absolutely last release.
    Since there isn't much more to "unlock" anymore.

I will post the release notes of V 3.1 ahead since they're are already done...the link for V3.1 will appear at the end when uploaded later in next days.

Final Version 3.1 changes.
    ---------------------------------------

1. Turned adapter inactive power save, and send keep alive pings into
    toggle-able device manager advanced options for your own testing.

2. Added new Adaptive TX power control in device manager Advanced Settings.
    Enabled - Adaptive TX power (based on RSSI signal recieved)
    Disabled - Fixed TX power regardless of RSSI taking into
    account power control settings and regdomain restrictions.

(default disabled for power control driver, default enabled for x1313 standalone bonus driver)

3. Some icons changed to something much better.

4. Added useful Adaptive TX Power Control, High Power Mechanism, Impulse Noise Protection,
    Send Keep Alive Pings, Adapter Inactive Powersave, to x.1313 non beta non power control
    bonus driver contained in release notes extras for Win98-Win7 OS.

Set all of these newly added parameters introduced to be enabled by default as this standalone
    non beta non power control driver lacks any form of power control as implemented in higher
    drivers through the GUI, so introducing adaptive TX power is useful in combination
    with the high power mechanism and other parameters added back into the driver when used without
    a GUI in standalone form as driver only, taking reg domain restrictions into account of course.

My preliminary results of these enabled unlocks for x.1313 reveals I am getting more "Network key mismatch"
    requesters in connecting to distant AP's trying random wrong passwords as opposed to simply
    "Cannot connect to this network" requests using these implemented new power settings which indicates
    the AP can be communicated with as opposed to only seen.
    --- Double Post Merged, 29 Nov 2013 ---
    5. Added Turbo mode control to x.1313 bonus driver in Device Manager (default enabled)
    --- Double Post Merged, 29 Nov 2013 ---
    Link for Version 3.1 Final driver.

RTL8187L_V3.1_TXCONTROL_FIXED_FINAL_UI_1.00.0187.L
    --- Double Post Merged, 30 Nov 2013 ---
    Project now completed

If you are having random disconnection issues, tired of quirks, issues and missing features with the standard drivers provided
    for your ALFA 036h that can't be explained, or any other RTL8187L based adapter for that matter...

Give my homebrew modded drivers above a try, they are safe and clean and play nice, and you might just be surprised at the stability, and many new
    features now available on your hands to change compared with using the official ones.

Leave your comments/feedback below, or if you prefer using these ones over the originals, and for what reasons. :)
    --- Double Post Merged, 30 Nov 2013 ---
    Some feedback informs me how they work, not only on my own systems which would be useful...

If I can tweak out any more options from out of them that's of any use at a later date based on feedback I'll try...

But for now, we're done...I'm happy with the end results.

There was still a few more options left in there, such as the ability to change between software or hardware RX decryption
    or TX encryption. But the driver is that mature anyway since 2005, that unlocking those kind of options these days
    was kind of pointless.

#16 kevsamiga, 29 Nov 2013
    Last edited: 30 Nov 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  17. rioboy

rioboy Well-Known Member

Hey V 3 I tried in win 7 and no luck driver installed alone OK in windows and utility no AP shown or windows showed no AP to connect to.

I forced install on vista sp2, sp1, standard install win 7, then xp sp3

What I saw after install xp sp3 and reboot was this.. see pic

The drivers are showing different versions?

Its working but?

win 7 forced xp sp3 alfa v3 final 8187L.JPG

18. kevsamiga

VIP

Yes it's meant to look this way.

Read the driver release notes in the Release notes folder. :)

Other thoughts....

I really don't understand your driver troubles specifically with the Windows 7 versions of the file, yet no other OS/drivers. I wish I could see what was wrong with your system, getting no AP's on 7 but getting it using other versions makes completely no sense.

I think it must almost certainly be a conflicting piece of software you have on Windows 7 OEM...

A lot of OEM installs usually come with a ton of crap ware and junk. Or a certain A/V/firewall/IDS might be blocking certain net access under 7, or a certain software has corrupted the TCP stack installing it's junk.

Without seeing, I don't know what is the real cause why any driver for 7 you try doesn't seem to work.

It's all working on 7 this end, both for X86 and X64 Ultimate, same as the official ones work too.

#18 kevsamiga, 1 Dec 2013
    Last edited: 1 Dec 2013
  19. rioboy

rioboy Well-Known Member

Did you test x86 as clean install or a VM?

My Win7 is OEM Samsung not much in software loaded since factory reset that formatted drive ect.

Had Symantec supplied but removed with symantec removal tool and cleaned out temp, reg ect

I removed all trace or AVG free and Zonealarm free and tried but forced XP sp3 sailed through.

Im going to clone a drive and do a factory reinstall again and see if installs before I install any AV or F/W.and after removing syamantec.

Vista home premium it installed ok initial thoughts it appears to be stable although need to soak test a bit.

So far so good thx!

XP well it just installed as it should and runs very well also again a soak test, but its pesky win 7 that bugs me.

Win 7 is on an i5 which runs faster than my older vista intel dual core and I might just run Ubuntu dual boot like I do on the XP machine.

Whats IDS??

20. kevsamiga

VIP

(Intrusion detection system) part of security software...

Anything really that could be the culprit and be blocking (or have the potential to block) your net access.

Zone alarm and Kaspersky is notorious for wireless adapters playing up, as is USB selective suspend.

I'm just guessing what's wrong and clutching at straws, because I can't see what's wrong with every single Windows 7 driver you have tried.

If the "official" drivers don't work either on 7 as it stands, as well as the modded ones, it has to be something...

We can kind of rule out the hardware, since it works fine on XP and Vista. A strange one...