Issue Help this tech savvy guy get xiaopan running live on OSX Mavericks

Discussion in 'Xiaopan Support' started by Frankyyyyyyyyy, 26 Dec 2013.

1. Frankyyyyyyyyy

Frankyyyyyyyyy New Member

Howdy everyone! So, I'm trying to get xiaopan running off of a live USB on a 2011 MacBook Air running OSX 10.9 (Mavericks). I've downloaded reaver via macports, but I keep getting the eapol start loop and can't resolve it (there was a fix that I ran on my old windows machine running backtrack, but it required using airmon to check and kill interfering tasks... The fix has since stopped working). I decided that shorting of dual booting Backtrack on my Mac, this would be a solid option. I've used several live USB construction tools and none of them seem to work. The only thing I haven't tried is the 2.0 version of this software on GitHub, but it's because I have absolutely no clue on how to run it. The 1.0 version I've used was ready to go and compiled (actually hold on as I typed this I think I may have a workaround). I've even converted the ISO to an img via command line, and used the unix dd command to place the img on the unmounted, FAT32 formatted, USB. Nothing has worked. The closest I have come is having the option to boot into the efi USB upon startup, but then I'm greeted by a GRUB command line screen from which I can do nothing. I'm able to run it from VMWare and Parallels perfectly fine, of course, but I want to use my MacBook's internal airport card-- so those won't cut it. Help, anyone?

2. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

Does your internal card support injection, aircrack, monitor mode? If it doesn't you should can your plan.

3. Frankyyyyyyyyy

Yes. Ergo how Reaver runs with limited success. If it did not I would simply use my windows machine.

Not sure why anyone would go through all of this trouble should it not. Aircrack, wash, and reaver all function. As I said, I lack the ability to kill conflicting PIDs without airmon-ng, which I'm betting is the source of my trouble.

4. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

Think most airport cards support monitor mode
    Code:
    Select All
    sudo airport en1 sniff 1
    As for injection you are best use external card.
    For booting from usb you can try rEFIt or mac linux usb loader SevenBits Tech Blog v1.0

5. Frankyyyyyyyyy

rEFIt hasn't helped at all, the latter is what I was referring to in the OP. I'm about to give his 2.0 version a swing, but I don't think 1.0 supports mavericks

6. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

I use rEFIt myself no problems, i think with linux usb loader i had to rename xiaopan.iso to boot.iso and copy to /efi/boot/

7. Frankyyyyyyyyy

I'll try that right now and be back momentarily with results
    --- Double Post Merged, 27 Dec 2013 ---
    It still takes me to GNU GRUB v1.99

#7 Frankyyyyyyyyy, 27 Dec 2013
    Last edited: 27 Dec 2013
  8. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

Can you type anything ??? have a look google booting iso from grub whats your contents of your efi/boot folder?

9. Frankyyyyyyyyy

I can type! None of the commands seem to work but it could easily be me entering incorrect command line keys.... from YouTube, it doesn't look like it should boot to GRUB command line, but what commands should I enter considering it is?

boot.iso and bootX64.efi

10. Crackerz Wave

Crackerz Wave The Dictator

Is there any support legacy boot option in your bios? I know new laptop now minly use uefi..but there are still option to choose legacy support

11. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

Just copy the bootX64.efi and rename the xiaopan iso to boot.iso both should be in /efi/boot your usb should be fat32 with mbr.

Attached Files: