Outdated Xiaopan OS 0.5 | What to do now?

Discussion in 'Xiaopan OS' started by Mr. Penguin, 2 Sep 2012.

?

Should we stick with Tiny Core Linux or not?

1. Yes

78.3%
  2. No

21.7%
  1. .::JiGSaW::.

.::JiGSaW::. Hello! I want to play a game ...
    VIP

Hey Mr.Penguin! Is any news about new building? here is lots of suggestions from the members, is there any informations about starting 0.4.4 Project ??:me

2. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

Hey macehardtek,

We sure do have some feedback. Might have to create a shortlist of what people requested and suggested very soon.

Personally I am currently focusing on the website at this point in time but I think hazz death is itching a little bit to create a new build in his spare time. :psy

This is my current plan, but I will probably do the easy ones first lol
    1. Add Prefixes to Download threads and merge many forums
    2. Delete some forums
    3. Add a direct download forum for VIP members hosted on iKlive networks CDN
    4. Expand on the Off Topic Lounge
    5. Add Moderator tools to make their life easy
    6. Make the Wiki / Xiaopan Manual
    7. Make video tutorials
    8. BackTrack Reaver DishingTech Edition II
    9. Xiaopan 0.4.4
    10. Finish the website
    11. Reorder smilies
    12. Xiaopan Forums on Mobile
    13. Retire :D

hazz death

• Like Like x 2
  3. hazz death

hazz death Well-Known Member
    Dev Team VIP

what i want to do now?
    -find a spare time
    -update xiaopan with the latest tiny core linux's core.gz
    -see its compatibility with our petesting tool
    -tweak some themes to match up our sites..

Crackerz Wave

• Like Like x 3
  4. mccc

mccc Member

+1 to anazhd request: pls upgrade compat-wireless so one can set tx-power to 30/33dBm at least on AWUS adapters.

Hope you'll pay attention to this problem.

Thanks a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  5. x_mony

x_mony Guest

hi Hazz Death i recommend making tiny core linux installable on the computer just like backtrack and then you can start adding stuff to it to crack rar passwords etc...and you can also pause and resume reaver inflator progress i think it's a good idea to invent a new operating system just like tiny core linux

6. DiegoWS

DiegoWS Active Member

support for AR9271, it looks like it doesn't work on 0.4.3, and add a file manager to the dock :)

7. ShalaMala

ShalaMala Well-Known Member

Hello! I have just discovered Xiaopan, so I'm new on your forum.

I really like the idea of a small and fast wifi security distro, that is also easy to use... so anyone on a holiday can surf the web :p
    I saw you are trying to expand it's usuability, by adding apps for every-day use, so once connected one doesn't have to another distro - cool!
    Looks like you are also planning to move to a light desktop environment LXDE.
    But... I say... why rediscovering the wheel, If all thet you are trying to achieve has been already done? Wouldn't it be better to upgrade an existing distro and focus more on security-oriented tools?

So, let's come to the point. I'm a long-term Puppy user and I warmly recommend you to check out this derivate: http://lxpup.weebly.com
    here is a review: http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2012/11/lxpup-puppy-linux-with-lxde.html
    Why? It's Ubuntu Precise based (but the author is working also on a Slackware based one) it is extremely user-friendly (configures by GUI) and has LXDE.
    [​IMG]
    Puppy is a preety popular distro with a large user-base, active forum members and quick support. It has a large repo... and if that is not enough it can access all the Ubuntu (or Slackware) apps right form the built in package manager!

It works straigh from a CD/DVD and has a unique feature - it can save sessions right back to it. It also has a remaster feature, so you can customize it and burn back to CD/DVD. It has 4 modes to install on USB and a unique Combo mode for a large hardware boot compatibility (it can be seen either as a USB-HDD, USB-Flash, Superfloppy or USB-CD drive). In this mode it also hides the system partition from Windows, so it doesn't get accidentally messed up. The whole user filesystem gets saved in a ext2 OR ext3 .sfs file that can reside on any kind of host filesystem - even fat - so you can use the USB stick as a normal USB stick in Windows PCs. This way it supports multiple users or setups as you can have multiple .sfs files and you get a menu to choose from at boot-up.

As far as security is concerned it offers an option to encrypt the .sfs wiht a light or heavy encrypton algorhytm so it asks you for password at boot-up or when trying to mount it in a different distro. So if you accidentaly lose your USB key or it gets stolen your privacy is secured. It has a feature not to save certain sessions, so If you experiment or mess things up or don't want some suspisious activity to be written back to your USB it will stay in RAM and data will go to digital heaven at shutdown ;) I always use it this way and save just when I do significant changes - so it doesn't get messed up or blown up by temp files or remainings of uninstalled programs - and it works for years!

If you need certain programs just occasionally you can get some in pre-packed .sfs files or create you own. This way they stay out of the way (and out of RAM) most of the time and get mounted just when they are needed. So you could create a stripped-down and more lighweight variant of Lxpup, with just the security programs installed and add other software - considered by some as blot - as one or more .sfs add-ons.
    And if somebody has a need to make it in a full-blown distro, there are Gnome 3 ( Gnome Shell, Gnome normal ), Cinnamon 1.6, Xfce 4.10 and Mate 1.4.1 with MintMenu ready to add!

So? How cool is that? I know you have met Puppy before, but did you know all this features? Do they seem useful? Do you think it is worth implementing all this by yourselves or should you just modify Lxpup and concentrate on security features?

P.S. There were already two attemps to make a security oriented Puppy - I saw you mentioned them in some posts - but they are outdated.
    --- Double Post Merged, 16 Jan 2013 ---
    Oh yeah, almost forgot... Puppy supports also Debian .deb packages! So Ubuntu, Slackware + Debian apps repo available!!! Huge :D

Maybe Puppy + Xiaopan could be called Xiaopup? Geek

• Like Like x 3
  8. White Knight

White Knight Active Member

Hi, Can we make a xiaopan version for this antenna http://www.focalprice.com/CN0141B/E...Wireless_Network_Card_Black.html#.UPafSPJr2N4 I has the RT5372 CPU, which is pretty new. I have tried all the beini versions and modifications, all the xiaopan versions, but none of them can be used with this brilliant antenna.
    --- Double Post Merged, 17 Jan 2013 ---
    And support for Realtek 8191 too, if it is possible, please.

9. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

10. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

RT5372 You could use the rt2800 drivers for this card i think, not sure the Realtek 8191 supports injection,try post in the support forum.
    Mr penguin any list of tools or updates for 0.4.4 or is it just wait and see.

11. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Hey meknb

Got the following information for you :)

Xiaopan 0.4.4.png Xiaopan Minidwep 31214.png

• Like Like x 1
  12. echegoyen

echegoyen Active Member

a probar se a dicho
    tested is to that

13. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

Sounds a lot better than 0.4.3 I agree with Fantasma a bit bloated and buggy and took to long to boot for me.
    As for web browser and sound manager i'd say leave it out would rarther have some more wireless tools.
    Keep up the good work, looking forward to the next release.

14. .::JiGSaW::.

VIP

hmm this looks nice! the background is awesome, have minidwep-gtk leatest version and batery applet is here cool!! :psy

• Like Like x 1
  15. xfelix

xfelix Active Member

Xiaopan tx power or program or a program that increases the signal must be a little drag that Linux has tx pawer setting and have a program that degrade the signal by raising it as a program put into Xiaopan

16. Fantasma

Fantasma Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about it but i think it can be done in command line. Mr. Penguin know more about it...

17. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

There's no GUI for setting tx power but if you had a GUI for everything you can do in linux there would be millions of options. Try Mr.Penguins post about tx power https://xiaopan.co/forums/threads/full-tx-power-injection-test.386/ works on any linux environment .

18. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Fantasma and xfelix

Changing the TX Power of a card is regulated by CRDA and is limited by country restrictions. The countrycode and regdomain settings control the channels the card can operate on, as well as maximum transmission power.
    Code:
    Select All
    sudo iw reg set BO iwconfig wlan0 txpower 30
    Determine your current Country Code setting
    Code:
    Select All
    sysctl -a | grep country
    The use of more power than the default limitations is risky. Just because a card says it can transmit at 30dbm for instance, doesn't mean it can. It would reduce the life of the card (particularly if it was an outside setup or hot location). It can also make a card unstable and reduce cracking ability.

I welcome anyone to try to attempt to be able to change their tx power within Xiaopan. But it might be impossible to do. But before you do. Ensure you try in BT5 and monitor the performance benefits (if there are any). E.g: injection test, wep crack, wpa crack and handshake test speeds. Say from 20dbm to 30dbm.

Resources
    Increase TX Transmit Power CRDA Regulatory Domain
    Setting TX Power as High as you Can Go

It has been reported that a rate of 11M is best for injection, reaver and aircrack-ng. You can go from 1M to 54M with an RTL8187L device.
    Code:
    Select All
    sudo ifconfig wlan1 down sudo iw reg set BO sudo ifconfig wlan1 up sudo iwconfig wlan1 channel 13 sudo iwconfig wlan1 txpower 30 sudo iwconfig wlan1 rate 11M auto
    This will not work with Xiaopan^.

That really depends... you will need a few things to get it to work. A specific compat-wireless version for one. New versions of compat-wireless break the ability to change TX Power. Some cards have their transmit power built into the card which seems impossible to change. The best cards you would want to change TX Power are your 2mW and 1mW ones such as RTL8187L, RTL8188RU and RT3070.

19. .::JiGSaW::.

VIP

Hm.. Mr.Penguin is this safe for the wireless card to increase the TX Power ? is it possible to burn the card or not ?

BTW. I think that is risky and don't need that kind of stuff in the OS.

20. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Think ALFA's are pretty safe. Can't say about others. I would not have the AWUS036NHR @ 33dBm for more than an hour or in extremely humid / hot weather.

There is always that possibility, abet unlikely. The chances increase with the above.