Problem with dictionary file

Discussion in 'Dictionary, Password & Wordlists' started by sunscreen, 27 Oct 2013.

1. sunscreen

sunscreen New Member

I am having trouble utilizing the dictionary files that I have. The files are all ".txt" format. Meaning they are saved in notepad, a Windows utility.

Whenever the dictionary files are greater than a few hundred megabytes, minidwep quickly says that the key is not found in underone second. However when I run a dictionary file that is one hundred megabytes or less, minidwep will start the process of finding the key.

I put my files in a usb 2.0 stick and run it through there. However since my bigger dictionary files of 1gb or more cannot fit into my usb stick, I put it into my usb 3.0 external harddrive which I then plug into my laptop's usb 2.0 port.

What is the problem with minidwep reading the big dictionary files?

What am I doing wrong?

#1 sunscreen, 27 Oct 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: 28 Oct 2013
  2. dee jayz

dee jayz Active Member

yup same here. the newest version of xiaopan will not let me pick a dictionary file. talk about upset fail!

3. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

Windows note pad use's <cr/lf> unix use's <lf> you might be better using a notepad that supports <lf> or using dos2unix to convert them.

What filesystem you using ?? describe your errors.

No problems here ,we can't fix user error, we can't guess your error either crystal ball on the blink Be more descriptive !!!!

4. sunscreen

sunscreen New Member

Hi thank you for your help. I really appreciate it, I am still learning how to use this software.

In regards to the dictionary files, I am using the default Windows Notepad 6.3.
    I will try a dos2unix program to convert the files and see if there is any change.

The file system that I am using is Fat32.

I am using "VMware Workstation 8.0" to emulate "Xiaopan 0.4.6.1" on my Windows 8.1 system. My laptop has 3 3.0 usb ports and 1 2.0 usb port. I think this problem is related to VMware Workstation, if not then how can i fix it?

If I plug my Realtek wireless adapter (or ANY USB enabled devices) into any of the 3.0 usb ports this is what will happen:
    1. I boot up Xiaopan, I click on the "Realtek RTL8187_Wireless" usb icon to connect into Xiaopan.
    2. A warning icon will pop up saying:
    "The connection for the USB device "Realtek RTL8187_Wireless" was unsuccessful.
    The device is currently in use."

If I plug my Realtek wireless adapter (or ANY usb devices) into my only 2.0 usb port this problem will not occur.

5. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

In windows i think you can use notepad ++ i think that supports line feed <lf> when you open in notepad++ or editor in xiaopan your .txt files you will probably see <cr> (carriage return) at the end of every line.

I know virtual box has issues with usb 3,0 not sure about vmware never used it, some bioses you can disable usb 3.0 then they act like usb 2.0.

Using fat32 should be fine you will have to mount (use mount tool) the drive to use your wordlist although you have a 4gb limit on files.

6. dee jayz

dee jayz Active Member

stupid newb mistake on my behalfs i was able to get the dictionary deal to work but to only fail at making the dictionary crack the handshake.. :( wish there was a dic with just numbers since im playing around with phone numbers as a pass key.

7. estimacamry

estimacamry Tracker
    VIP

Use the search bar and look for "crunch wordlist"

• Like Like x 1