New | ALFA AWUS036NHR v2

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking Cards' started by Mr. Penguin, 1 Sep 2013.

1. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

ALFA have released a v2 version but I am not sure exactly what the difference is between the NHR and the v2. Rokland state that:

AWUS036NHRv2.JPG
    Find more info here http://store.rokland.com/products/a...1n-long-range-wi-fi-usb-adapter-5-dbi-antenna

Is it a marketing gimmick or is there actually some performance increase over the original NHR.

2. Remington

Remington Well-Known Member
    VIP

Well my NHR had a short life span (less than 1 year) and I have read that others have experienced the same issue so I'm sure there was room for improvement in the quality department.

3. gunz_kruung

gunz_kruung Well-Known Member

wow hope some people bought this v2 version and share about it..:mask:

4. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Mine is going well, connected 24/7 on my ALFA R36 for nearly 2 years :)

5. dooogle

dooogle Well-Known Member

Anyone has managed to find out the differences between NHR and NHR v2?
    It seems that AWUS036NHR can not use the driver of the newer AWUS036NHR v2. A v2 driver will need to be installed for the AWUS036NHR v2. Also the older NHR driver will need to be uninstalled first before installing the newer v2 driver.
    That means one can not run the NHR wifi adapter and NHR v2 wifi adapter from same computer.
    --- Double Post Merged, 15 Oct 2013 ---
    According to ALFA NETWORKS, the AWUS036NHR v.2 WiFi Adapter has the v.2 marking on base of casing. See picture on left.

13813098061107135459.png

#5 dooogle, 14 Oct 2013
    Last edited: 15 Oct 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  6. gc90pt

gc90pt Member

hopefully injection will work on this version 2 , since it has a different driver ,etc .. lets wat n see

7. Pascal

Pascal Wifi Sniffer
    Staff Member Moderator VIP

A new driver ?? or RTL8188RU ???

8. gunz_kruung

i think it just an updated driver because u need to uninstall the past alfa awus036nhr driver[ RTL8188RU] before u use and install this v.2
    :)

9. rioboy

rioboy Well-Known Member

could it be if run to +30dbm power output form standard +20dbm that they get hot and fail long term?

A heatsink mod perhaps is needed?

Im tring to figure out the difference between NHR and NHR V2????

hmmmm
    a diver tweak? same chipset but the sensitivity specs on Alfa site shows identical or is it a mistake on the site that specs are same?

10. kevsamiga

kevsamiga Well-Known Member
    VIP

#10 kevsamiga, 7 Dec 2013
    Last edited: 7 Dec 2013
  11. rioboy

rioboy Well-Known Member

I was sold a NHR as a V2 but it was the v1.

I have to say it very good at weak signals and signals shielded by structures ect so I wonder what V2 will do.

I can run NHR with metal rollers shutter blinds down and it just sucks in signals where 036H and 999 signal king do poop! The building is earthquake resistant with reinforce concrete like an office block and signals get sucked in.

036H now running on XP, Win 7 Vista thanks to your homebrew v3.1

NHR would be nice to have the features there too like a simple turn on/off the LED but I just mask it with electrical tape :)

12. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Blu-Tac is good for that :) what I use.

13. kevsamiga

VIP

I'm sure the option to control the LED will exist in there somewhere...

It's Realtek standard fare to control the LED's, but they are too lazy to implement the option in the .inf file most of the time.

Check the NHR .sys driver file for some LED control keywords. NH is just as bad with glaring blue LED.

My 036H is better at receive, undoubtably 036NH is better at transmit and hence de-authentication from my tests.

I wonder where NHR figures into things compared, seems it has the same transmit power as 036NH, but better receive than 036H according to what you said.

I'm looking to buy another Alfa soon, but can't decide which one to try next between NHA or NHR.

NHA is more compatible, but I've heard it's not a signal grabbing card. Don't want to end up disappointed if NHR is no better than the 036H or the 036NH it replaces...

14. de mi novato

de mi novato New Member

Hello to all.my v2 do a fine job,unless the time{4 hours at least}with vmwareplayer6.0.1 and minidwep in reaver.it seems that it have a 8192cu chipset,that it appear to me in gtk panel.

15. kevsamiga

VIP

No you don't.., I guarantee you have an 8188RU chipset inside your 036NHR...

8192CU is just the Linux compatible driver it uses. :are.you.serious:

I have some questions about the NHR I don't yet own...I'm reluctant to waste money for 0% benefits over my current adapters, so need some advice.

Does the NHR model offer any advantage/faster performance in throughput speeds over a Ralink 3070, or AR9271 to the same access point/s being a newer chipset design ? on the other hand my 036H throughput is too slow compared to my AR9271 and 3070 keeping the same YAGI antenna position while swapping adapters out. Does the NHR offer any performance advantages in throughput over NH or NHA bearing in mind all these are 11N chipsets?

How are the drivers/usability/injection for the NHR for Linux these days because I might get one, but if it's going to give me problems whereas the 036h, 036nh and AR9271 don't under Linux (apart from 3070 that always needs a replug to list AP's), and is only good for surfing around in Windows with slightly better signal strengths with no tangible improvement over what I currently have, then I don't think I'll bother to waste any more money...

#15 kevsamiga, 10 Dec 2013
    Last edited: 10 Dec 2013
  16. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

17. kevsamiga

VIP

Just a redesign, so don't know why V1 is way higher in that Rokland list than V2.

Hmmm...also on that same Rokland site.

Rankings by speed (as opposed to range, though can't understand this either as new NHR V2 is listed as 33dbm same as NH so should in theory have same TX range with better receive figures to boot) list in speed the NHA one place above the NHR, which figures in my tests of TP-LINK WN722N (also AR9721) which can maximise out a connection without drops even with only 1 bar, whereas 036H can't even do it with 5 (and with dropouts on a bad day). NH is almost as fast as AR9271 (NHA), but receive is always most times below usable limits on most signals for a reliable connection, although there are plenty more signals than 036H or NHA provides using WirlessNetView by NirSoft.

However AR9271 is not for "grabbing" lots of signals, but of those there "are available" signals, it works extremely well with them, and the RSSI on Atheros goes all the way to -127 in number. Was wondering if NHR in V1 or V2 flavours fared any better against what adapters are already out there, without lying about it's even higher than 036h signal strength RSSI figures (because the 8187L I feel already cheats quite a bit by showing more bars than there actually is available).

If you can't connect with 036NH you likely won't connect with 036H most times either, even though the SS is much higher reported on the 036H than NH...so was sat pondering if "inflated" signal strength also made it into the 8188RU windows drivers, or whether the benefits are real according to this article (page 2):

Best Compatible USB Wireless Adapter for BackTrack 5, Kali Linux and Aircrack-ng • Raymond.CC

On paper, the NHR is a 2000mw TX adapter, with the highest signal strength RX of all adapters before it, so is it all what it's cracked up to be and the new "036H successor", or just a waste of money and incompatible ?

Before I take the plunge...and maybe make a mistake due to inflated SS figures or marketing hype leaving me with no better a deal than what I already got, NHR owners please chime in... :)

#17 kevsamiga, 10 Dec 2013
    Last edited: 4 Feb 2014
  18. gunz_kruung

Thanks Mr. Penguin.. SAd that should gave bad impact for the NHR v2..:( thought it's going be a good reborn for the NHR v2 :dead:

19. rioboy

rioboy Well-Known Member

Before I take the plunge...and maybe make a mistake due to inflated SS figures or hype leaving me with no better a deal than what I already got, NHR owners please chime in... :)[/quote]

I just got a used NHR V2 now, I will do some tests and give it the thumbs up or down compared to my V1 and 036H and signalking twin antenna 999 :)

20. kevsamiga

VIP

Thanks... :)

Going to wait till after xmas before taking the plunge for NHR v2 (or not)