Mac ALFA AWUS036NH / AWUS036NEH Mountain Lion Driver & Utility

Discussion in 'Software Downloads' started by Mr. Penguin, 4 Aug 2012.

1. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

What about unknown devices in your usb section.
    Also is your device loaded in your mac have a look with kextstat.

2. twomakewar_27

twomakewar_27 Member

it doesn't show up in the usb device section on my mac….but there is power to my alfa card when it is plugged in

3. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

Does it work in your os ??
    It should show up in your usb section or something should how else is virtualbox going to find it??

4. twomakewar_27

twomakewar_27 Member

there's drivers for mac lion (10.7.5). I downloaded the utility but nothing opens and for some reason my mac is reading the usb card.
    --- Double Post Merged, 30 Aug 2014 ---
    my mac is not reading the alfa card

#64 twomakewar_27, 30 Aug 2014
    Last edited: 30 Aug 2014
  5. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

I sent you a link to the thread and I have got no feedback if you tried the solutions that worked on there.
    Did you read the thread or just the first post?
    You haven't given us console errors or let us know what version of the utility you are using.

I am locking this thread and merging with the related thread.

6. twomakewar_27

twomakewar_27 Member

RTUSB_D2870-4.2.9.2_UI-4.0.9.6_2013_11_29.dmg <-----This one. I think i got it from this site.

7. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

Even without driver's loaded something would show up in your usb section i.e in system information.

8. twomakewar_27

twomakewar_27 Member

thats what i'm saying….it doesn't read it….
    --- Double Post Merged, 31 Aug 2014 ---
    i also plugged it in my windows computer and it doesn't pick it up in the devices or printers section.

#68 twomakewar_27, 31 Aug 2014
    Last edited: 31 Aug 2014
  9. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

Either try another cable or pc or usb port.
    Sounds like your card is dead wouldn't be the first or last, i'm the proud owner of 3 dead alfa's , luckily i never paid for any of them.

10. twomakewar_27

twomakewar_27 Member

well yeah i bought this one…. and honestly i don't think its the cable because the alfa card lights up
    --- Double Post Merged, 31 Aug 2014 ---
    So what do you think? The card is broken?

#70 twomakewar_27, 31 Aug 2014
    Last edited: 31 Aug 2014
  11. andrewthompson

andrewthompson New Member

i JUST figured this out. I was having the exact same problem. i lost sleep for 2 days trying everything.
    here was everything i went through pretty much, over and over again until i finally just thought outside the box for a second

1. i installed the latest mac drivers from the mediatek.com/en/downloads for the alfa awus036neh card
    2. this included a "wireless utility" which works great on the mac
    3. plug the alfa card in, the blue light starts blinking and everything looks good. open up virtual box/vmware..associate the card with the kali vm, disconnect the card, start the vm, plug the card back in after the vm is going and....nothing. Not only would the alfa's blue light not blink, but virtual box and VMware could not see it as a listed usb device at all. Subsequently, removing the card from my mac at this point would completely lock up my mac, only to be solved by hard reseting it.
    4. what you need to do (and this kind of sucks, but it makes it work in a kali vm), is completely uninstall all mac drivers you have installed for the alfa card. what happens is your mac is grabbing it (due to some buggy driver issue i'm sure) and not letting Virtualbox/vmware see it (where normally you'd be prompted upon plugging it in). Uninstalling the mac drivers makes it impossible for your mac to grab it before your VM software does
    5. boot up your vm, download the alfa card linux drivers for your distro from mediatek.com/en/downloads (i used 3.14 ubuntu for the latest kali distro)..it comes with a read me file to help you install it in linux. not too bad at all
    6. restart your vm. the card will start blinking like it's active after you select it from the usb dropdown in your vm software. if you don't see any available wireless networks, shutdown your vm and remove all network adapters you have configured for it or turn them off.
    7. start vm
    8. move on with life

12. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Just unload the kext with an automator script. For all those having issues read the whole thread.... And you wont have issues any more.

13. twomakewar_27

twomakewar_27 Member

what do you mean by unload the kext with automator?

14. thomas mullins

Hi,

I am having issues with my alfa awus036nha on a 2010 model Macbook pro. The device light doesn't turn on. None of the drivers open once I've installed them so cant open the network utility. Would try installing it on linux but it does't pick it up in virtual box so I can't select it as a device from there. Really quite stumped as to where I take it from there?

Could it be my ALFA card that's dead? I've just received it from Amazon yesterday.

help :S

15. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Well, you are going to need to do some debugging. First uninstall the drivers from your Mac, reboot and test in VM. If it fails type lsmod to see what devices it is picking up. You should also ensure you have installed the latest drivers. If you have a PC you can try that too...

But your main issue is that it doesn't work with Mac :( http://www.overstock.com/#/Electron...-802.11b-g-n-USB-Adaptor/6045575/product.html

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

16. thomas mullins

I will do that when I get home from work and post a reply when I try it.

Oh snap, I didn't even see the fact that wasn't compatible with mac what a smart guy I am!

Question, Will the adapter work in a linux VB through my macbook? Even though it's not compatible with macs? probably a daft question I know but worth a shot before I scout out another compatible adapter.

17. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

Yes your adapter will work in linux vb, if you want to use it for your internet connection have a look here http://atastypixel.com/blog/using-a-virtualbox-vm-to-operate-a-network-device-for-your-mac/ you will have to change the drivers in your vm to suit your device.