AWUS036H End of Production

Discussion in 'News Aggregator' started by wuppo, 3 Oct 2014.

1. wuppo

wuppo Active Member

Alfa have advised their distributors that the AWUS036H is ending production and they expect to have exhausted stock by years end. So anyone wanting a "H", don't wait too long!

It's had a pretty good run!

2. Pascal

Pascal Wifi Sniffer
    Staff Member Moderator VIP

official screen ?

Alfa.tw don't related this!

3. kevsamiga

kevsamiga Well-Known Member
    VIP

I think that everybody who ever really wanted to get their hands on the fabled 036H, would have at least obtained one by now, or at least bought 2 or 3 to spare. :)

Moreover they've had extensively 5 years of opportunity to order one...oh well, there are still 036NH and 036NHA for acceptable linux use if all stocks on the 036H are really depleted at years end.

Nothing lasts forever people in computer hardware land, it's called "planned obsolescence".

For the stragglers and rebels that hold out and defy upgrading whilst rocking old hardware, they just remove access and/or delete the drivers and any support out of existence, or just stop supporting an older OS forcing you to move anyway. Happens to gfx cards as well...Your hardware is obsolete "when we tell you it is", not when it actually stops working or doing it's job.

Also moving on to newer hardware then traps you into using a newer OS, since they don't have to to release drivers for your old OS.

And people still wonder why M$ is a monopoly...

#3 kevsamiga, 5 Oct 2014
    Last edited: 5 Oct 2014
  4. Pascal

Pascal Wifi Sniffer

I am thinking that at present, Alfa 036h sell well over the rest of its range. Stop the sell is stop the goose that lays golden eggs and shooting himself in the head ..

However, if this were to happen the price of the latter on the second hand market going up seriously and so I suggest to make a stock therefore;)

5. kevsamiga

VIP

Not really, because people are lazy & will just buy a Kasens G9000 and ilk instead and have a silver egg instead of paying a premium second hand...

There is nothing really much special about the 036H, same as there is nothing special about any other adapter, whose output powers have been tested on an agilent spectrum analyser on another thread. Does this also mean the 051NH will be next in line to get the chop, now the 036AC is out. ?!?

It's all really about your antenna's and placement, and quality of the drivers. That's all there is to it, unless your running an amp.

Using an 036NHA on Linux has been proven to be just as great as the old 036H.

For an everyday Windows adapter, there's better than 036H anyway.

#5 kevsamiga, 5 Oct 2014
    Last edited: 5 Oct 2014
  6. Pascal

Pascal Wifi Sniffer

The AWUS036H has the best reception sensitivity ...

Just look at the comparative .. Even if the other cards are a very good work, it is nevertheless the ALFA AWUS036H card is now the most sensitive in reception although you could say!

7. Amkay

Amkay The Wifier
    Moderator Dev Team Wiki Editor VIP

Just bought one last week, my hardware provider still has like 20 of them, i think i should buy 1 more spare just in case

8. kevsamiga

VIP

But being so sensitive is also it's downfall as it responds next to useless in picking up interference using larger omni's, and lags like a bitch when streaming media, stop, start, stop.

Also connecting to 11N AP's is out the window unless you prefer 11b speeds, and out of all of them it's the only adapter with the shittiest throughput.

I'll admit the thing was good in it's day, and is still good for hacking purposes, but as an adapter it's time has passed long ago, there are better ones around now.

Also, there will be no drivers for Windows 10, so it kind of makes sense from a marketing perspective to give it the chop.

9. Jimbo Jones

Jimbo Jones New Member

I just bought the 036H from the banner advertisement here and it works very well, I'd been without a 36H for a while and missed it's performance, for me the 036H works best. I've a big antenna, so I think my issues are with reception and data throughput, which the 036H and its drivers seem to handle best.

10. Hasselbaink

Hasselbaink Active Member

I have been trying to just fish out the difference between this original Alfa awus036h and china-made . The china-made awus036h -with the same chipset -that i bought when the original one that i bought from Rokland "died" is still performing very well. I think what matters most in adapter is the chipset ( My thought ). So if Alfa finally terminates the further production of 036H, many alternative adapters are out there in the market including China-made.

11. kevsamiga

VIP

The difference is the quality of power amplifers and other circuitry, that you just don't get with a chicken brand.

The price difference is also due to the warranty and support which is non-existent for the mickey mouse brands.

The boxes of the Chinese ones claim great things, the reality when you see the wiring under the board is quite different.

12. FROCIUS

FROCIUS Guest

All I need to quote. (y)