Rejected Xiaopan, Beini, Backtrack Nothing Works

Discussion in 'Xiaopan Support' started by Budokiba, 30 Sep 2012.

1. Budokiba

Budokiba Active Member

So I have tried all three of these and done extensive searching and tried different installs and on two different systems for both. I am preferring a live usb, and persistent would certainly be preferred, but before even getting to that, just getting one that works is the first issue.

I have read through the forums and also searched google for all these issues and cannot seem to find a solution, perhaps I am blind or am just not searching in the right places.

Xiaopan and Beini (multiple versions of both) were tried, I prefer Xiaopan, but neither seemed to work with my laptops built in wireless (Broadcom 43x or something to that degree, can confirm if need be) and wasn't sure if there was a specific way I needed to configure it. Also attempted external usb wireless adapter(netgear N-300) this also did not work.

Backtrack works great with all my wireless devices , until I turn it off a time or two, then i get "EXT2-fs (loop1): error: ext2_lookup: deleted inode" and cannot 'startx' anymore. Everything I have found is either a temp fix or says start over and remake the live usb (which I have lost count of how many times I have done this). I make sure to shut it down correctly, and tired the different shut down methods.

Any ideas or advice would be great! Thank you :)

2. Fantasma

Fantasma Well-Known Member

3. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

In regards to your issue in BT. Would it be possible for you to install Backtrack in a virtual machine environment? The only issue with that will be you will not be able to use your internal card inside the VM. What is the output when you type
    Code:
    Select All
    ifconfig
    with your Netgear N-300 router?

4. Budokiba

Budokiba Active Member

Sorry for the late response, had to go to work. Anyway, I have used multiple pendrives/usb devices etc with the BT, and the issue persists, it seems to be common as far as I can tell from my searches, and I have yet to find a solution. A friend of mine tells me it is very fragile as a live boot (as he has had the same issue).

As for the netgear usb wireless adapter I am using I believe it is WNA3100, was not sure. After doing further digging into that though, part of the problem why it does not work, is that it runs in similar compatibility with the internal broadcom that my laptop is running. Could this be true? Of course that still leaves the issue of why the internal one doesnt work.

As for the virtual machine environment, the issue is that my laptop unfortunately has neither the space to store the virtual machine, nor the hardware to really handle running it inside of the normal OS. I would do it on my desktop on the other hand, but the problem is a am away from home a lot and not much time to use it, so I was hoping for the portability.

I was contemplating getting a larger usb drive, I have heard some people having good luck with BT by booting from live CD and then using the normal install on that and installing it to the usb. Any confirmation on this?

I cannot get anything with the ifconfig on my usb wireless adapter because when running any of the three OS's, it goes undetected.

Thank you :)

5. hazz death

hazz death Well-Known Member
    Dev Team VIP

due to my minimal knowledge in this field, so i cant answer much to your problem, but i can confirm that, you can install BT on usb, but the minimum size of the usb must be around 11GB and higher.. i never have a chance to try install it to usb, but i already try to install other distro such as linux mint into usb,it's pretty stable but sometime i feel it slow.. mybe it just my feeling..

6. Budokiba

Budokiba Active Member

I will need to get a larger USB, and perhaps I will try this, if I manage to get one and do so I will let you guys know how that works out. Might be a while before I can get around to getting one unfortunately. Would like to hear from anyone who may have done this specifically with BT though.

Would anyone know if it is possible to install BT as a normal Live USB but have an extended partition or a partition where the persistence is saved. This way, should the persistence become corrupt, the main boot partition will still be intact, thus allowing you to still boot and only need to reformat the extended partition?

It is quite unfortunate that BT is the only one that works with my laptop, I was really hoping to use Xiaopan, unfortunately financial circumstances(that I am sure many others understand :p) do not allow me to just buy a new usb wireless adapter.

Does anyone have experience, manually installing the tools from BT, Xiaopan, or Beini, onto another distro such as just Ubuntu as an alternative? I am sure it would be additional work, but it is the main OS on my laptop at the moment. Or perhaps there is something underlying in these OS's that make them better, more capable, or compatible with these tools?

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge! :)

7. hazz death

hazz death Well-Known Member
    Dev Team VIP

actualy you can install minidwep-gtk or feedingbottle in ubuntu, just by installing aircrack-ng, reaver and minidwep or feedingbottle deb inside the ubuntu.. i already this inside my ubuntu

8. Budokiba

Budokiba Active Member

Ah, I see, thank you for that information hazz death.

So, a bit of an update, I have yet to figure out the wireless problem with Xiaopan, but I believe I have figured out the answer to my own questions about BT, and as soon as I verify that the method that I used, works I will post a short guide or tutorial and append the link here. I just want to make 100% sure before I post so that the method may more may not work Thanks again everyone, all of your contribution was very helpful.

edit: Could someone point me into the proper place to post a tutorial or guide? I looked at the main forums but did not see a section for these. Would they be considered support? Thank you.

9. Fantasma

Fantasma Well-Known Member

Feel free to post where you want, we can move it to the right place any time ;)

10. Budokiba

Budokiba Active Member

As promised: Sorry for the poor quality of the tutorial but I hope it is easy enough to follow.Thanks everyone.