Issue Failed to Associate With (BSSID) with AWUS036NEH

Discussion in 'Xiaopan Support' started by x14p4n!1, 17 Oct 2012.

1. x14p4n!1

x14p4n!1 Active Member

Dear Mr. Penguin,
    I've tried my AWUS036NEH in both Beini and Xiaopan and both (I guess it's the same driver) recognize and tell me monitor mode works but scanning doesnt bring up results so I guess it doesnt. Only setup it actually worked in monitor mode was wifiway.
    Am I doing it wrong?
    I'm using a macbook pro mid 2010 (6,2) with VmWare Fusion.

Yours Sincerly,
    Desperate Dave

Ok I think it does work in a way: if I use minidwep-gtk first (after boot) it does find the network, if I use Inflator it doesn't and if I user minidwep after it does not aswell. Maybe its a different driver within those tools? But I'm not sure about minidwep because it doesn't have this "choose interface - enable monitor mode" screen but uses the airodump tool witch requires monitor mode I think. Any guess?
    --- Double Post Merged, 17 Oct 2012 ---
    nevermind what I wrote there, it's working.
    There's one more thing I don't understand: if i start reaver from minidwep-gtk it states "failed to associate with (BSSID)" does that mean wps isn't in place or is it an error (yes I do own the router and I think it has WPS, I will post specs if you need)

2. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

Lol, nice name Desperate Dave :joy . In future there is no need to mention my name or address it to me specifically, this is a community, everyone can help and many do from time to time with support issues of other members.

Some routers have a WPS push button or you have to enable it in settings. A firmware upgrade (if one is available) of your router might also enable your router to have WPS. In minidwep after a WPA/WPA2 scan it should indicate the routers which have WPS enabled.

This error about failed association is when there is low signal strength, high variation or interference of signal strength and signal quality. Another reason why the error can occur if the router has MAC filtering which will only allow certain devices to connect to it via the router settings. You can change your MAC address using mac changer or you can simply turn mac filtering off in your router settings. Another possible problem is that your AP is not on a fixed channel and hops between others. If you specify a channel in reaver or inflator this will cause issues.

So it might just be a case your AP is just too far away to perform the way it should. I should also say that night time can produce better signal strength and quality due to atmospheric changes. Not sure of the exact science and RF engineering but it just does.

Another solution is you could play around with the various advanced settings in Reaver / Inflator.

-d option and increase the time between pin attempts
    -l in case AP locks WPS
    -t to set timeouts

-vv is also good for displaying detailed errors, but it will offer you no performance benefit or detriment.

I suggest you also try using inflator. Sometimes it will just work better than Minidwep-GTK. Also, the AP you are trying to audit might just not be susceptible to a Reaver attack. There is a list you can use, here is the link:
    WPS Vulnerability Database

Here is ImJoJo 's video that he made that shows the RT3070 working really well in Xiaopan and Inflator.

Watch this video on YouTube.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ImJoJo

ImJoJo The One & Only
    VIP

Yes you are right Mr. Penguin. Many can be the factors on why you are having problems x14p4n!1 A few days ago I told a few members that my neighbor challenged me to crack his AP..I had so many problems until I used macchanger and changed it to a client of his network. Right after that all I did was sit back (26 hours non-stop) until BAMM!!! I cracked it.. so maybe if you change you mac like Mr Penguin said it might get you some results.

Try associating with this command aireplay-ng -1 5 -a BSSID -c CLIENTS MAC -Q mon0 dont close that terminal, leave it open at all times. open another terminal and run Reaver using -A and you should be able to associate.

NOTE: use the macchanger to change the mac of your monitor mode interface, not your wlan. It happened to me until I realized that in monitor mode the original mac was showing until I changed it.
    Code:
    Select All
    ifconfig mon0 down macchanger --mac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX mon0 ifconfig mon0 up
    XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX <---(enter your fake mac)

4. 小 [-]红[-] 猫

小 [-]红[-] 猫 Active Member

what if it stuck at "associated with (BSSID) " ?

5. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Then post 2 paragraph 3 still applies.
    I suggest you play around with the settings and use -vv as well. The AP might already be WPS locked as well. You can ignore this with the advanced settings.

6. Crackerz Wave

Crackerz Wave The Dictator

What is the power? -76, -80..

7. ImJoJo

ImJoJo The One & Only
    VIP

Make sure beacons are moving at a fast pace and RX is at 100..if still nothing,I will tell you what I tell others and what Mr. Penguin repeated "get closer to the AP"

8. 小 [-]红[-] 猫

9. Crackerz Wave

Crackerz Wave The Dictator

WOW, That tooooooooo much, need other target

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Ideally, the best range is about -40 to -65. Even if you did crack that -108 AP which is highly unlikely, you would not be able to connect to it and if you could connect to it, the internet would be :slug....

• Like Like x 1
  11. 小 [-]红[-] 猫

thx for telling me this truth @_@

12. ImJoJo

ImJoJo The One & Only
    VIP

108! :eek: Crackerz Wave is right! :yes

13. x14p4n!1

x14p4n!1 Active Member

OP here again, I had the no results error resolved by switching to parallels. I will get to trying reaver again soon
    --- Double Post Merged, 19 Oct 2012 ---
    Ok heres another thing reavers trying the same ping all over again after associated
    --- Double Post Merged, 19 Oct 2012 ---
    same problem with different networks (i guess its not illegal for debugging ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

x14p4n!1 I get that, everyone gets repeated pins from time to time. If it continues to do it, but still makes progress it is fine.

15. x14p4n!1

x14p4n!1 Active Member

The same ping issue I resolved by retrying the next day on which it worked excellent. It seems to vary due to atmospheric changes (heavy fog = no connection) but for my router it worked quite excellent (like 4 seconds / pin). Only thing is that my router as well as another one gives me "failed to associate with ..." errors as soon as I try spoofing my MAC. Is there anything like "real" MAC-addresses the router accepts and such ones it doesn't?

16. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

I have found that when Reaver fails to associate I change my MAC address to 00:11:22:33:44:55 and I can re-associate with the AP via aireplay-ng. From there

I ran dhclient on wlan0 and was given an IP from the AP, providing DHCPd is enabled.

More Infomation here Reaver Recovers WPS Pin But No PSK

00:11:22:33:44:55 always works better than some random number like 42:3A:3F:21:3B:4C.