TinyPaw-Linux v2.0

Lightweight Linux WiFi pentesting distro.

1. r1sen

r1sen Mod
    Staff Member Moderator Dev Team VIP

Ah, great! Good to hear you're up and running and it's working now. Enjoy~

2. r1sen

r1sen Mod

@Mr. Penguin

Documentation and Wiki started and available at wiki

Also added to the resource "suppport" link

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

Good stuff, keep in mind that the download button tracks users, so when there is an update, they will get notified by email. I noticed a few links in the description which wouldn't be tracked @r1sen

4. Mat'

Mat' Active Member

Hello,
    I'm getting trouble connecting my AWUS036H to TinyPaw OS using VirtualBox.
    I assigned my USB device to the VM and still don't find it ("No Wireless Card detected").
    Tested with or without network adapter settings in VB, TinyPaw 1.1.1 (simple and hydrib).
    Any users experiencing similar problem or am I missing something to do ?

5. r1sen

r1sen Mod

@Mat'

Apologies! Are you using Linux as your host OS?

In order to get USB wifi devices to work in VirtualBox I needed the following:

1.) Update to VirtualBox 5.2 - https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

2.) Next install the VirtualBox_Extension pack in order to use USB2.0, USB3.0 input devices - https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

3.) Third added myself as vboxuser by entering the following in the terminal: "sudo adduser $USER vboxusers"

4.) Then I logged out of my system and back in for changes to take effect.

5.) Finally added USB device filter in VirtualBox before starting TinyPaw VM (USB redirect) - I much more prefer and use QEMU/KVM Virtual Machine Manager

Please see video for instruction on VirtualBox USB device filters -
    Watch this video on YouTube.

*Further more - redirect once the VM is booted by clicking "devices" and selecting "usb" from the top menu of the VM window - virtualbox by nature is glitchy and has some minor to significant issues booting with redirection*

Screenshot at 2018-04-18 02:43:00.png

#25 r1sen, 18 Apr 2018
    Last edited: 18 Apr 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mat'

Mat' Active Member

Hi @r1sen , Thanks for your reply !

My Host OS is a Windows 10 computer...
    I'll give it a new try this evening using the Redirect USB Filter before booting then.
    I am currently running VirtualBox 5.1.30 with Extension Pack (for developing purposes), do you think it could be an issue and I have to upgrade to 5.2 at least ?

Another question about point 3.), this command is only if running on a Linux Host right, don't need to run "sudo adduser $USER vboxusers" in TinyPaw ? Btw, what is the goal of this command ?

7. r1sen

r1sen Mod

@Mat'

Yes, I apologize in advance, I have not owned or used Windows since XP so most or all of my instruction is Linux based. As far as 5.1 - I was up until the other day using 5.1.36 , it should not be an issue though not my recommendation for virtualization. I understand with Windows choices can be limited, or at least without spending a good deal. USB redirection and filtering should definitely help. As far as the command line string, it is for granting virtualbox the same rights as the account you're under - so like adding it to your admin/system rights. Otherwise device listing and or redirection can be impossible - like your virtualbox being sandboxed. May only apply to Linux, not sure how virtualbox installs itself under Windows.

8. Mat'

Mat' Active Member

Just tested again, with your advice on the USB redirection and following the Youtube explanations, but no luck, still not found the wireless card. I am running it from the Iso image directly, and Live option on boot.
    Very strange, cause VB notice activity on USB when I plug it, same as shown in the video.
    But when I launch Fern, even with Refresh click it don't see it.
    Do you think it could be interesting to test with version 1.1 or 1.0 of TinyPaw ?

9. r1sen

r1sen Mod

Hmmm you could... You selected your USB device by clicking "devices" then selecting the "USB" tab and then your USB device from the VM drop down menu? Also, did you create an actual USB device under usb2.0 in your VM settings? That screenshot I posted was me running it right then in virtualbox 5.2 after I created a usb 2.0 filter for "ralink 2870/3070" and selecting the USB device from the device menu tab once the VM booted..

10. r1sen

r1sen Mod

11. r1sen

r1sen Mod

Also - best practice for any pen-test OS, are you setting your device into monitor mode using airmon-ng first? As I have stated in my project wiki this generates best end results. Also, is your device detected at all and just not functioning with certain tools? open up terminal in the VM and enter: "lsusb" and see if your device is listed - ie "alfa rtl8192" etc.

If it is listed enter the following: "sudo airmon-ng check kill" - airmon-ng should have your device listed if it has been detected, once it kills any additional processes enter: "sudo airmon-ng start wlan#" and it should place your wlan# into monitor mode "wlan#mon" which that interface can now be used by any tool or script as " -i wlan#mon " argument or in fern, wireshark, etc..

12. r1sen

r1sen Mod

Here are some screenshots - as I stated last night - virtualbox in my opinion is or can be somewhat temperamental , software vs hardware/kernal virtualization seems to have "some" device usability/functionality issues. As you can see, in virtualbox my ralink 2870/3070 is detected, can be placed into monitor mode, is usable with wifite, wireshark, etc. - however fern seems to have some trouble fully controlling said USB device, not entirely sure if that is due to the way virtualbox handles device redirection/manipulation or the pass-through to software virtualization? As you can see in the last screenshot QEMU/KVM virtual machine manager detected and fern is able to fully place my device into monitor mode and scan with zero issues..

Upon reading and browsing forums it would seem that virtualbox is no stranger to pass-through/emulation bugs..

Screenshot at 2018-04-18 02:43:00.png

Screenshot at 2018-04-18 11:11:58.png

Screenshot at 2018-04-18 11:12:44.png
    Screenshot at 2018-04-18 11:15:04.png

Screenshot at 2018-04-18 11:15:24.png Screenshot at 2018-04-18 11:15:47.png
    Screenshot at 2018-04-18 11:16:20.png

*QEMU/KVM Virtual Machine Manager*
    Screenshot at 2018-04-18 11:29:20.png

13. Mat'

Mat' Active Member

Hi @r1sen ,

Thanks for your very detailed replies !
    Unfortunately, I did exactly like you said, set first the USB filter on VM settings, then start TinyPaw without the card plugged in, and finally once booted select it on the USB device menu.
    Fern don't see it at all, even when I enter the "ifconfig" in Terminal, no wlan0 listed. Wifite don't see it either.

Very strange, cause I never had this problem before, when using Xiaopan 6.4.1, Pro or even with Kali.

I'll give a new try tonight, tweaking the USB option and testing the "lusb" command. If nothing I'll reinstall VB and upgrade to 5.2 I think. We'll see

14. r1sen

r1sen Mod

What is the chipset of your card? awus036h what?

15. r1sen

r1sen Mod

@Mat'

Without Windows I am unable to reproduce your exact scenario :/ I will try to assist anyway that I can, I can only say with absolute certainty that I have tested TinyPaw v1.1 / v1.1.1 / v1.1.1_hybrid with (RT2870/RT3070 , MT7601U & RTL8192CU) chipsets and have confirmed results. Also I have had feedback from many users with RTL8811, RTL8812, RT3070 chipsets - If you could provide more information or details, TinyPaw is based off of Tiny Core Linux just as Xiaopan I cannnot see why there would be an issue detecting hardware that the previous mentioned could, I have built in the same wifi chipset firmware. With out further information, chipset, settings, and so forth I can only speculate as to what the issue could be. Have you used this virtualbox install before on this Windows machine? Is there a 'vboxusers' in your system users panel - as in does virtualbox have admin/system rights on your Windows system? Can you still connect a USB wifi card and boot into another VM distro with proper pass through and detection?

16. Mat'

Mat' Active Member

My AWUS036H have the Realtek RTL8187L chipset.
    My VirtualBox install is the same as I have before using Xiaopan and Kali, without problem on redirection.
    I'll redownload a Kali distro and make the test to see if it can see the card, I'll keep you updated.
    I don't see clearly how to test for the "vboxusers", but even when running VB as admin, still no card.

Thanks for your help anyway, don't get an headache with my problem !

17. r1sen

r1sen Mod

Hmmm, I mean even still - virtualizartion as it stands is just software emulation of physical hardware. As I said VirtualBox is notorious which is why I do not use it, that being said though I am having trouble wrapping my head around what would cause a VM to detect emulated devices in one scenario and not the other, I have not tested the 8187 chipset but if it's detected in Xiaopan or TCL then TinyPaw has the same built-in firmware. It is certainly no headache, and I am certainly curious on the response with other VM runs - you are my first hardware incompatibility question, so let's try to resolve it :)

18. Mat'

Mat' Active Member

Ok then ! I have just donwloaded Xiaopan 6.4.1 iso. I'll test tonight to create new VM without touching anything in VB, and I'll tell you if the Usb card works just as it or not

19. r1sen

r1sen Mod

Ok, then we'll go from there :)

20. r1sen

r1sen Mod

Hmm I think perhaps I have found something, let me know as I configure a test VM