TinyPaw-Linux v2.0

Lightweight Linux WiFi pentesting distro.

1. r1sen

r1sen Mod
    Staff Member Moderator Dev Team VIP

Ok, I used an alternate system and downgraded my virtualbox and extension pack to 5.1.34 - both RTL8192CU and RT2870/3070 were detected and used in fern on LIVE run. However, in virtualbox in it's bug-ness fern required toggling your selected device - not sure why as I said QEMU/KVM this has never been an issue with either tools or device redirection. However upon looking - If you have no success the next step would be an install on your VM instead of LIVE run and use the package manager to download "libusb-dev.tcz , libsub-compat.tcz , libusb-compat-dev.tcz" which may be necessary for your specific usb/device chipset - as obviously I don't have endless devices and chipsets to test against, if that is the solution then those packages will be included in the next release - at the time with no compatibility issues nor bugs reported they were not included in v1.1.1 / v1.1.1_hybrid

2. Mat'

Mat' Active Member

Hi @r1sen , so, after tested with Xiaopan 6.4.1, here are the results and beautiful screenshots.
    On both, "lsusb" return at first position the RT8187L chipset, all good up to this step.
    On Xiaopan, "sudo airmon-ng check kill" and "sudo airmon-ng start wlan0" works well (see screen).
    On TinyPaw, these two commands the cannot access error shown on the second screen.
    Is this helpful for you ? 2018-04-19 (1).png 2018-04-19.png

3. r1sen

r1sen Mod

Ok, hmm so it doesn't detect the 8187L chipset - interesting - give me one sec.

4. r1sen

r1sen Mod

Is your TinyPaw VM booted? and is it installed or just running as optical/live?

5. r1sen

r1sen Mod

@Mat'

After some digging and tweaking and trying to understand this bug I have generated a possible solution/try:

Please download the following *.tcz packages and copy them to your /mnt/sda1/tce/optional/ directory in your TinyPaw VM

Then download the following modified onboot.lst.txt file to your /mnt/sda1/tce directory - change the name of your current onboot.lst to 1.onboot.lst and change the name of this modified version to just "onboot.lst" removing ".txt" from the naming convention.

I had removed "compiletc" from the onboot list trying to clean it up and most users would not need a compile environment however some core usb/util extensions failed to boot as result - that could be causing some usb compatibility with your specific card? Trying to resolve an issue without a testing card or windows to reproduce your results can be touch and go - I apologize for the time and headache - hopefully this offers a solution! Thanks for your patience

Attached Files:

#45 r1sen, 20 Apr 2018
    Last edited: 20 Apr 2018
  6. Mat'

Mat' Active Member

My VM is running just as Optical/Live CD booted indeed.
    I'll try to make a permanent HDD VM install then and I'll test your trick, keep you updated. Thanks !

7. r1sen

r1sen Mod

@Mat'

Ok sir - These are the wireless firmware packages that were extra for Xiaopan from the TCL repo's TinyPaw-Linux was built with the "wireless-4.8.17-tinycore" kernel drivers extension which unfortunately begin with "rtl8188" and up. If the patched extensions do not offer a solution I will work on compiling s new kernel driver for your device - I have included a screenshot of the compiled drivers for realtek for kernel 4.8.17

Screenshot at 2018-04-20 01:52:28.png

8. r1sen

r1sen Mod

@Mat'

It is 3am where I am at so not sure how much more functional I will be after this point -

The RTL818x driver seems to have reached an EOL after kernel build 3.2.x , which Xiaopan 6.4.1 has 3.16.x kernel modules which include the RTL818x drivers for your device, as far as Kali I imagine they are using some degree of legacy driver for their new builds? I can only speculate, I have wrapped up an extension that adds the rtl818x driver kernel module for 4.8.17-tinycore kernel, however - experimental *very*? With no 818x device all I can say with certainty that is:

a.) the kernel modules were present upon reboot

b.) there was no catastrophic events or crashes as a result

c.) other kernel modules were unaffected and still functional

You or anyone else would have to let me know if this extension/patch allows your device to even be recognized / function. I do apologize and certainly will look more into this module build - however as I said I am unable to find source or documentation for any kernel build later then 3.2.x

Attached Files:

9. Mat'

Mat' Active Member

Hi @r1sen , no rush take your time.
    Just tried with the first post, and replace the onboot file, plus adding all the *.tcz files, still the same error of "cannot access" on next boot.

Just tested with the last wireless_rtl8187x file too, and same cannot access too...

(Btw, I have copied-pasted the files just by copy-paste from a usb key, to the directories, without using terminal. I hope this is not an issue, right ?)

#49 Mat', 20 Apr 2018
    Last edited: 20 Apr 2018
  10. r1sen

r1sen Mod

@Mat'

No, not an issue however you are making the corrections to your "onboot.lst" file correct? I wasn't instructing you to input terminal strings, this (/mnt/sda1/xxxxx ) was only meant to show directory listings. Copying from one directory/folder using pcmanfm (file manager) is just fine, though you'll have to run in as super user to delete files or open up your terminal and enter "rm filename.tcz" to delete a file or "rm -R dir_name" to delete a folder if you don't open file manager as root. That being said, at 3am I forgot to add

"wireless_rtl818x_4.8.17-tinycore.tcz" to the above "onboot.lst"

You will need to add that entry in your onboot.lst - and still this driver is experimental so... yeah, let me know if there is any change. Thank you

11. Mat'

Mat' Active Member

Ok, I just open the File Manager app, by clicking on the dock icon. Don't know if I was in super user but I didn't had any problem to copy or rename the files.

I just added the "wireless_rtl818x_4.8.17-tinycore.tcz" to the above "onboot.lst", and strange thing on next try after reboot, I don't still have any listing about a wlan0 interface, but no more error about "cannot access". See screenshot

Attached Files:

12. r1sen

r1sen Mod

Hmmm, so that seems like a step towards progress. So the screenshot shows it detected the Realtek semiconductor rtl8187 but glitches out trying to place it into monitor mode with airmon-ng.. Hmm, can you try to bypass airmon-ng for me with iwconfig?

Please enter the following, hopefully this provides some output since it looks like it was detected when you ran lsusb.

sudo iwconfig

Is there any listing for a wlan0 adapter? If so then:

sudo iwconfig wlan0 down
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 up

All assuming that not only is the device detected by driver but that's its recognized as an IEEE80211 driver at that. Please let me know the output of the above terminal strings.

13. Mat'

Mat' Active Member

Attached Files:

#53 Mat', 21 Apr 2018
    Last edited: 21 Apr 2018
  14. r1sen

r1sen Mod

@Mat'

I appreciate your help as well and research into the rtl8187 driver - as you can see in this screenshot from the release_note file in the Alfa rtl8187 driver directory you have provided the last support/update changes were for the linux kernel 2.6.x or in comparison Ubuntu 10.4.x release. This was the same driver build that I have used for the "experimental" extension I provided. Though I used from the Realtek repository, I will try to compile a driver for TinyPaw using this Alfa rtl8187 build. I do apologize, TinyPaw as of current uses kernel 4.8.x and with no test device I can only provide an "experimental" driver for you. Thank you for your patience.

Screenshot at 2018-04-21 12:39:54.png

15. Mat'

Mat' Active Member

Ok, thanks a lot for your efforts anyway, and not a big deal if the RTL8187 can't work at the end. I'll buy or try to find a new RT3070 chipset then.

Waiting for you new build, I'll start to set a Kali 2018.1 VM and test if I my AWUS036H still work fine on it or not.

16. r1sen

r1sen Mod

@Mat'

Thank you for your patience, I certainly want to cut down on incompatibility/limitations. As it is I know Kali 1.0 and Xiaopan 6.4.1 both used kernel 3.16.x builds which were covered in the last 2010 patch for the rtl8187 driver. I have yet to find sources patched or modified for later kernels and writing/patching a driver from scratch with no test device seems.. Well yeah. I will continue to look into it but for the intirim I'm labeling this driver as unsupported until I can compile a working testable driver. I do apologize but not saying its hopeless yet either. Thanks for your support.

#56 r1sen, 22 Apr 2018
    Last edited: 22 Apr 2018
  17. r1sen

r1sen Mod

*update*

Not sure why this wireless driver seemed over complicated for build? Perhaps I was missing something - The next TinyPaw-Linux build will be built on the 4.14.10 kernel which has a more comprehensive kernel wireless driver base - above rtl818x by default, until the next build release a current list of compatible drivers is available on the sourceforge project wiki:

https://sourceforge.net/p/tinypaw-linux/wiki/Wireless drivers/

*beta iso available - v1.1.1_hybrid - 4.14.10 kernel build*

***Feedback appreciated, should be identical to the current v1.1.1 build except with 4.14.10 kernel / drivers and wireless tools***

https://bitbucket.org/TinyPaw/tinypaw-linux/downloads/TinyPaw_v1.1.1_4.14.10_hybrid.iso

#57 r1sen, 23 Apr 2018
    Last edited: 23 Apr 2018
  18. Mat'

Mat' Active Member

Hi @r1sen
    Thanks for your update ! I test the new iso this evening as soon as possible, and come back to you.

19. r1sen

r1sen Mod

@Mat'

Awesome! As I said - this new .iso is identical to the current v1.1.1 build other then the 4.14.x kernel and wireless drivers. I look forward to your feedback.

20. Mat'

Mat' Active Member

Ok seems to work this time !
    wlan0 appear in fern and detected also on Fluxion, Airgeddon, etc
    All good ! Thanks a lot for all this help @r1sen !