SignalKing 999wN twin antenna question

Discussion in 'Antennas' started by rioboy, 17 Oct 2013.

1. rioboy

rioboy Well-Known Member

Experimenting with the SignalKing 999wN the 2 antenna supplied I think are 9dbi, what I did was I took off the standard antenna from a Netgear router I think its a 3dbi and now the Signalking has a better performance it seams or am I been a fool?

I get better signals and more choice with one large and the other small than I do with both the standrd large antenna.

The other question is will using the 2 different antennas cause a malfunction of the electronics?

2. kevsamiga

kevsamiga Well-Known Member
    VIP

The antenna's on the signal king 999WN are rated @ 6dbi each. I have one as well as an 950WN.

On the 999WN one antenna acts as TX & RX and the other only acts as RX. Depends which one you changed, and depends on operating country and other factors.

Smaller dbi antenna can work better indoors or in areas with lots of obstacles.

Although higher gain Omni's can reach further, they can't pass obstacles so easily, which is why indoors etc using higher dbi Omni's the figures sometimes go down instead of up.

3. rioboy

rioboy Well-Known Member

On the 999WN one antenna acts as TX & RX..

Ah that makes sense, Thx

4. miksontije

miksontije Active Member

How is 999WN compared to alfa awus036h in signal sensitivity?

5. rioboy

rioboy Well-Known Member

Alfa a little better but driver wise in setting up 999wn has always been easier. But I think they much the same not a huge difference as I see.

I remember a youtube comparison with testing figures if you care to search.

999wn is very good and I have experimented using smaller antennas for closer signals but in terms of distant signals , with the standard antenna supplied its OK and works well in injection mode and likes linux with no driver install :)

I have run 999WN, Alfa 036H, Alfa HNR

roller shutters down at home in the eve sitting on my desk in front of patio doors about 3 feet and it was locking on to give an internet connect that was stable even though signal was low it made me smile.

The others didnt even have a chance but NHR does need the twin power feed cable that is supplied with it but its also another chip thats more modern than the other two.

999wn away from a window is not great needs to be located outside or stuck on with the suckers but I found them to be weak and drop of in a short time so I tied the 999 to a safety line to stop it falling from a height as a drop ruins it quickly, as I had a spare and compared after a drop and signal was half down but still working but not as well.........

Alfa suckers very good but I still tie them in case.

HNR and 36H pick up away from window, better than 999, as well as stuck on the window.

6. miksontije

miksontije Active Member

tnx for answer. i have tp link 722 and it gives me 18db more than my friends alfa h. i want to bay something capabile with n networks and i thinh about alfa hn,but as i see it is not so gud card,so i look at sk999,but i cant find review compared to alfa awus036h. i look video on yt about some signal king test eith alfa 036h,and there sk gives a one or two db at same ap more,but that sk isnt model 999. tnx for helping me my friend

7. rioboy

rioboy Well-Known Member

no prob yur welcome :)

8. wan7045

wan7045 Active Member

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

9. AdoraKalb

AdoraKalb Member

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the 999WN one antenna acts as TX & RX and the other only acts as RX. Depends which one you changed, and depends on operating country and other factors.Smaller dbi antenna can work better indoors or in areas with lots of obstacles.