How to place my xiaopan mounted iso into read+write mode.

Discussion in 'Scripts & Commands' started by iboomstock, 19 Sep 2021.

1. iboomstock

iboomstock Member

I have tried all kinds of ways yet I can't get the .iso into read write of its file system. I have downloaded Four copies and each one is the same. When it is mounted there are two directories boot, cde and a mydata.tgz. These are in read write however once I open the boot dir to change the file names to the appropriate ones they are in read mode only. I tried removing the attr however this did nothing. I'm stuck I really need to check out some wireless devices and the routers to see as to how easily or not they are to crack. These are the files I want to rename to enable this .iso to boot from a usb-drive

1 Open the iso
    2 Rename the “isolinux” folder to “syslinux”.
    3 Rename the “isolinux.bin” and “isolinux.cfg” files in the same folder to “syslinux.bin” and “syslinux.cfg” respectively
    I would be grateful if somebody who has the knowledge to enlighten me and others who find this difficult. I hope I haven't missed a thread explaining this anyways thanks in advance to anyone who has the answer and helps us...
    MOUNTEDon the MacBook Air

2. r1sen

r1sen Mod
    Staff Member Moderator Dev Team VIP

First off.. I am not entirely sure I understand exactly what you are asking? Are you trying to alter these sys files from within the distro while it's mounted? Or are you trying to mount the image and then alter it from your host system?

Something like isomaster or magiciso would work, you would need to extract the entire image into a working directory, make the changes you want and then spin a new iso using the working directory as your image. You could also do the same from within xiaopan or tinypaw or tiny core using the tool "ez-remaster" available from the tiny core team. Upon the remaster process the tool does what I explained above before finalizing, it creates a working directory that you can specify otherwise within the /tmp folder where you could run you file manager in sudo and make the changes you want before finalizing with ez-remaster.

3. r1sen

r1sen Mod

It is in read only mode because xiaopan like tinypaw like tiny core are full ram os's, you cannot just edit core files like accessing a directory in your file manager. You will not need to just view the mounted device or image - you will need to fully extract the .iso file into a working directory and spin a new one. Or like I said using a remaster tool from within the booted iso itself.

4. r1sen

r1sen Mod

Also, booting from USB? Lol is far easier then doing all of that, and changing those file names mean nothing, you need a hybrid iso that will partition a small boot sector on the usb device, you will also probably need to disable UEFI and enable some type of legacy boot option within your bios. Easiest way, install syslinux which will come with the isohybrid tool. Open the folder containing your .iso file from your terminal and enter:

isohybrid your_filename_here

And done. That easy, now write that altered image to your USB device, if you compare a standard iso to the same one in hybrid form there is about a 1mb difference which as I said above is essentially a boot sector written into the iso, like an mbr. The isohybrid is standard in just about every distro now, but if the iso file is not you will absolutely need to make it hybrid in order to make a bootable usb device.

5. iboomstock

iboomstock Member

Done that ,sorted only needed to use the iso hybrid fixed it no problem, so thanks for that, not sure as to why some one had to use the mocking condescending slimy type comment about the command prompt and the shell JOG-ON , look the cmd prompt is a shell for Windows as near as it can be. I could of been using wine at the time of typing the question into the text field. So for the person who claimed that "it was all he needed to know" now you know , yes I know the difference between command prompt and the linux shell. Why is it people seem to have a beef over people whom either make a mistake in text or genuinely get things wrong like everybody does at some point . S0 anyways off topic. The .iso is up and running right now. So thanks for the input much appreciated that you spared the time...

6. r1sen

r1sen Mod

My apologies if I offended you or anyone else? I was merely trying to help, I will keep quiet next time

#6 r1sen, 9 Oct 2021
    Last edited: 9 Oct 2021