D/L xiaopan will not boot, no boot flag.

Discussion in 'Xiaopan OS' started by ghosted, 25 Aug 2021.

1. ghosted

ghosted New Member

Every iso I have d/l has had no boot when I look at the mounted Xiaopan.iso with gparted there is no access to boot flags for there is no boot. 7 disks i've tried now , even wifislax gave me the same problem. Could somebody advise me on either as to why this is so and if theres a fix . Thanks in advance , all I want to do is audit this new router that the ISP has sent.

2. r1sen

r1sen Mod
    Staff Member Moderator Dev Team VIP

Boot flag on what? Are you writing to a USB drive? You need to provide more details if you expect the answers that can help you best? From what it sounds like you are trying to write regular .iso files and make a bootable USB drive? If that is the case you need to use hybrid iso files, some older distros are not released as hybrid iso's you will need to convert them. Using apt, synaptic or you package manager you will need to install syslinux or syslinux-utils which has the isohybrid tool included.

From your directory that contains your .iso file open your terminal and run:

isohybrid input.iso

This will convert your original .iso to an iso 9660 *hybrid which flashes a boot sector to your iso image specifically for creating bootable media.

Here is a link for you: https://wiki.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Isohybrid

3. iboomstock

iboomstock Member

Thanks for some reason this account has been removed or my keychain has been messed with again. So ive decided to jack this in. I know you guys do a lot of work here I respect this fact. Just I thought this type of stuff worked I didn't think there would be so much learning involved just to make the iso boot. I know this is free open source so onto kali something I never really wanted to do. All I need to do is look at to how vulnerable a couple of routers are for novice learners along with the devices attached to it. I have my answer now very vulnerable 802.11 this is too people whom want of need to crack our own personal wifi. Best thing is to turn off the dam wifi if possible. Note also trying to create a bootable usb of xiaopan on a MacBook Air for me was impossible using Balena etcher, yet windows using yumi no problem, except it boots into a dos prompt text only no gui with no other options than virtual. Honest Guys respect to you all but what a cluster F*** of errors this process has been for me. Good Night and Good Luck I might pop in again who knows especially if I wake up one morning with a fully loaded adept computer Brain.

4. r1sen

r1sen Mod

not really sure where you grievance is? tinypaw has been hybrid iso since 1.1.1 rip an image to usb, disable uefi and enable legacy boot and it's fine? Or a vm? You want broken commercial tools like Kali? We are not stopping you lol good luck

5. r1sen

r1sen Mod

The fact you think you are seeing a DOS prompt and not a shell says all I needed to hear

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. r1sen

r1sen Mod

I apologize, but the thought of anyone thinking they have to do zero work in this field to get results... sounds pretty script kiddy'ish.. research, learn, and adapt? If you cannot figure out how to use a weapon, probably best you don't use it to begin with lulz:hilarious::peeking::ninja:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. iboomstock

iboomstock Member

I dont have. any grievance with anybody I was a little pissed off on the night I text , so thought it best I square that one up. Fact is with out getting too personal I never take on grievances with anybody. I find there are far more suitable methods than grievances , I mean grieving and grievance are just so Depressing and futile to ones self.

8. r1sen

r1sen Mod

No hard feelings, I definitely understand frustration and being pissed off. I came across like a jerk I am sure but perhaps I took your post wrong, I can't say we are all here to help, teach, assist, but most will in this forum and the many many like it.