AWUS036H v AWUS036NHR v Kasens G9000 (RT3070)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking Cards' started by Mr. Penguin, 14 Sep 2012.

1. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

Here I compared the performance of 3 popular high power USB devices in Windows:
    • AWUS036H (RTL8187L) 1000mW
    • AWUS036NHR (RTL8188RU) 2000mW
    • Kasens G9000 (RT3070) 6000mW (claimed)

Equipment.jpeg
    Here are the contenders, notice I only have the AWUS036H chipset and not the casing
    Side by Side.jpeg
    They both use the same casing, but ALFA spends a bit more on graphics and information and are made in Taiwan.
    Chipsets.jpeg
    RT3070 | RTL8187L | RTL8188RU
    The RT3070 is the smallest and one would say least complex of the other two. The RTL8187L chipset is huge. The RT8188RU looks like a complicated build, which is probably the main reason why the price is so high. Note that if you take the chipset from the adapter you void your warranty with ALFA devices as they have an anti tempering sticker.​

Aims
    The main aim was to determine which card performs best:
    • Most signals (sensitivity / war driving purposes)
    • Most usable signals (practicality / able to connect and use)
    • Speed performance (download / upload) of b/g/n networks

It is one thing to be able to hack a network, you also want to be able to connect to it.

Methods
    Tests were conducted in the afternoon at 6:00PM to 6:45PM. Each USB wireless adapter used the same 5dBi omni directional antenna and USB plug to ensure conclusive results. The mount that was used was a U-Mount Squid Design. A straight edge was clamped with a g-clamp to the front window of a car in order to ensure the U-mount was sitting in the optimal vertical position.

Tests were conducted in Windows 7 64bit as a virtual machine in Parallels Desktop (Build 7.0.15106) on a 13inch mid 2010 Macbook Pro. The adapters used the latest drivers from official Reltek and Ralink sources. Software used to test sensitivity and practicality was inSSIDer 2.0. Each adapter received a 60 second network scan. Internet speed was conducted using the online tool at speedtest.net. The cutoff for useable networks was established at -70 RSSI or better.

We also tested to see if the 18dBi antenna that came with the G9000 to see if it performed better than the standard ALFA 5dBi antenna. The tests showed that there was minimal to no difference in sensitivity or usability. To buy a genuine ALFA unit, expect to pay $24.00 or more U.S.

Background AWUS036H (RTL8187L) 1000mW
    This card has been around for many years and continues to be a favourite for pentesters using BackTrack, Xiaopan and Beini. It is one of those cards that just works. Offensive Security and Tactical Network solutions both recommend this card for their courses as well as testing. Another issue is that this card is getting old and new systems may become incompatible. Linux compatible and incompatible with the new 64bit versions of Mac OS X (10.7+). For those who want this card in Mac OS X, I suggest you get an ALFA R36 with the right firmware, which will enable you create an extender to connect the RTL8187L to the R36.

One of the major issues with this card is that is not an N network card. It can connect to these, but the rate is limited to the same speed as b/g networks.

Background AWUS036NHR (RTL8188RU) 2000mW
    The AWUS036NHR is N compatible and the newest out of the 3 tested on the scene and has equal power output (2000mW) as the AWUS036NH (RT3070). It essentially competes with RT3070 devices, as there is not much difference between the two. This device is also compatible with the R36 providing you have the right firmware. The NHR drivers and utilities work well in Windows and Mac OS X. One of the biggest downfalls with the NHR is that packet injection is possible but difficult to obtain in Linux. This is not a card for those who want to 'plug and play' type compatibility in Linux. This card uses duel USB cables to supply 5v power from your computer to the device. If you want a genuine one of these you are looking at about $29.50 U.S.

Background Kasens G9000 (RT3070) 6000mW (claimed)
    This device is N compatible, was the cheapest out of the three ($21.00 US) and claims to be the most powerful. The G9000 either comes with an RTL8187L or RT3070. Many vendors particularly on eBay do not state which one. There is a big difference between these cards you would think they would have another model number to help consumers chose the model they are after. The RT3070 is probably the best all rounder if you want something that works in Windows and Mac (even compatible with Mountain Lion 64bit) as well as hacking in Linux.

It comes with a huge 18dBi antenna, which you should be careful of as bumping that around could leave you with a broken SMA connector. I will also add that it came with a mini CD with Beini installed which I found interesting. As with the other adapters, this too is compatible with the R36.

AWUS036H Results
    The control NETGEAR router achieved -53 RSSI with the 2000mW ALFA and 21 useable networks of -70 RSSI or better. The average out of the 24 networks it picked up was -61.16 RSSI.

ALFA AWUS036H Networks.jpeg

ALFA AWUS036H Strength.jpeg

RTL8187L.jpeg

Kasens G9000 (RT3070) Results
    The control NETGEAR router achieved -69 RSSI with the 6000mW Kasens and 3 useable networks of -70 RSSI or better. The average out of the 23 networks it picked up was -72.39 RSSI.

Kasens G9000 3070 Networks.jpeg

RT3070.jpeg

AWUS036NHR (RTL8188RU) Results
    The control NETGEAR router achieved -72 RSSI with the 2000mW ALFA and 0 useable networks of -70 RSSI or better. The average out of the 24 networks it picked up was truly shocking, -87.375 RSSI

ALFA AWUS036NHR Networks.jpeg

ALFA AWUS036NHR Strength.jpeg

RTL8188RU.jpeg

Results
    Clearly the AWUS036H is the winner. Bear in mind the H is the old 500mW version. Expect better results with the 1000mW version of the H. But this might change with driver updates. Fantasma has indicated installing an updated driver can improve performance by a significant margin. Remember this was a comparison of chipsets and not of manufacturers. There is some evidence that ALFA devices perform better than others, but this was certainly not a test for comparing manufacturers.

Useable Networks (-70 RSSI or better)
    AWUS036H 21
    Kasens G9000 3
    AWUS036NHR 0

Control NETGEAR Router (RSSI)
    AWUS036H -53
    Kasens G9000 -69
    AWUS036NHR -72

Average Signal Strength (RSSI)
    AWUS036H -61.16
    Kasens G9000 -72.39
    AWUS036NHR -87.375

What Else Needs to Be Done?
    I will explain the results at a later date and finish off this post. I am also going to use speedtest.net to determine if there is any internet speed differences between the cards. Has anyone got these cards and can make any other comparison?

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Crackerz Wave

Crackerz Wave The Dictator

wow from the picture above, i can tell awus036h still win

u said that u want another comparison right, now i have 2 wireless adapter, dlink dwa 125 and awus036nha

the best is awus036nha, very easy to associate (take 0.1 second), signal the best

3. gancho

gancho Well-Known Member
    VIP

Yes Black Alfa(NHA) is the best one, works with no excuses , by the way gonna try with Pineapple Mark 4 (waiting for delivery), after will give info

4. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

I want to buy an AWUS036NHA. The speed is much faster than anything else on the market. If you want to connect and use internet speed the NHA is the fastest. The AWUS036H is very slow compared to it. Only downfall it is 800mW (650mW without the antenna). If ALFA made a 2000mW AR9271 I would be extremely happy. Maybe it is not possible with the AR9271 chipset, I hope not. :dance

5. Crackerz Wave

but, if they want to update, i must buy new awus036nha? but the weird is, all xiaopan version detect it, but when to use reaver only xiaopan 0.4.2.2 that work well

6. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

I have a AWUS036NH to compare with the Kasens G9000. The NH comes with a really thick USB cable and the chipset has a heatsink, while the Kasens does not. Little bit disappointed with the ALFA because the back of the chipset has really bad soldering. By the way, the AWUS036H that I used in my test is the green PCB 500mW version and not the 1000mW blue PCB version. You would expect that would even produce better results if I did the tests again!

ALFA v Kasens PCB Bottom.JPG
    No heatsink on the Kasens, also the SMA connector on the Kasens is solid and better. They cannot break as easily as the ALFA
    Detached SMA ALFA.JPG
    Typical issue with the ALFAs, not a solid SMA which can become lose and detached when bumped by the antenna
    ALFA v Kasens PCB Top.JPG
    ALFA on top, not so good with the soldering

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. ImJoJo

ImJoJo The One & Only
    VIP

Great post Mr. Penguin! I read through it and I saw you purchased the Kasens g9000 with the rt3070; I too own that same adapter with one difference, mine has the rtl8187 chipset..and today I received and adapter that I was curious about and so I went ahead and purchased the Alfa AWUS036H with 5dBi Rubber Dipole Antenna and a 7dBi Panel Antenna. So I tested both and I saw no difference..NOTE: I replaced the huge antenna from the Kasens adapter and replaced it with a 5 dbi dipole antenna.
    Also, the panel antenna from the Alfa adapter is just looks because in performance, it's not good. The AP's that it detects are not as strong in signal as to the dipole antenna. Final results Kasens g9000 w/RTL8187 vs. Alfa AWUS036H w/RTL8187....TIE

8. Crackerz Wave

9. sardan91

sardan91 Guest

i think you should buy it kasens,,,,coz mo power comsuption from devices and long mid range anntena,,

10. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Thanks for the review ImJoJo. What do you mean by a dipole antenna? Do you mean an omni directional? Interesting, I was going to buy an ALFA directional APA-M05 or APA-M04 after reading the praise reviews on Amazon. So if you know an AP and focus the directional onto it, it's still not as good as the omni? In theory, an omni would pull more signals around you, but a directional should be able to focus on the AP for better signal and link quality. Oh are you also pointing the hotside to the AP? :me

[​IMG]
    Well...if it is an RTL8187L it is not an N compatible card! the box is lying or the contents are. If you buy, ask the seller what is in the box!

11. Crackerz Wave

i know it a lie, but if they want to sell something, make it logico_O
    --- Double Post Merged, 24 Sep 2012 ---
    hey, i know that this is little offtopic but, it is true that AWUS036H is more power than quality, if i get one bar using H, does i got speed like full bar like NHA or i get weak signal quality, slow speed.....and my friend say that if i want signal quality and power, take NHR, does it have unstable packet injection?

12. ImJoJo

ImJoJo The One & Only
    VIP

According to the box it comes in, it is b/g/n but, at the bottom of the adapter and according to the retailer's ad it's only b/g plus on the advanced settings tab on a Windows 7 OS it will tell you it's a b/g only..but I like it's performance anyway and just like you said the rtl8187l is cheaper than Alfa...
    --- Double Post Merged, 25 Sep 2012 ---
    maybe my answer is not the one you're looking for but one thing I have found out by testing is that the 3070 chipset will have a better signal quality and it will give you great bandwith speed but when it comes to packet injecting...hmmm :no no good at all..(at least I didnt like it) to be specific on the adapter I tested with is the Kasen's 680WN..
    --- Double Post Merged, 25 Sep 2012 ---
    dipole antenna is the regular common rubber antenna or yes the omni directional..also, I tried both sides of the panel antenna pointing towards the AP and also running a bandwith test and it seems to work the same on both sides. A bit disappointed about the whole thing but I already purchased it..and yes I remember you mentioning that you wanted to get it but don't let my conclusion stop you from buying it. It's probably me doing something wrong(which I really doubt) but either today or tomorrow I will upload some screenshots for everyone to see.​

13. Crackerz Wave

ok ImJoJo, thanks for your help

14. jhayme

jhayme Well-Known Member

hello teacher I buy this antenna is good for alpha AWUS036NHR audits to see tell me some advice thanks

15. sardan91

sardan91 Guest

be the first tried it

16. ImJoJo

ImJoJo The One & Only
    VIP

I really don't understand what you're trying to say..I see you're from Lima, Peru, do you speak spanish in which Fantasma or I can help you? If I am not mistaken, you are looking for advice, am I correct? what type of advice are you looking for?

• Meh! Meh! x 1
  17. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

18. mandarache

mandarache New Member

Me presento ,ni nick es Mandarache , Supermoderador del mayor foro wireless de habla hispana , solamente quería felicitar a Mr . Penguin por su magnífica review , muy al estilo de lo que nos gusta en nuestro foro:
    http://www.zero13wireless.net/foro/index.php

http://www.zero13wireless.net/foro/...res-en-2012&highlight=ARQUITECTURA+TENDENCIAS

Tenemos enlaces de 402km con antenas caseras diseñadas por nosotros:
    Watch this video on YouTube.

Antena Belgrano , Galletera Belgrano , Belgrano 2Ni ,Belgrano Coérnicus ,etc:
    http://www.zero13wireless.net/foro/showthread.php?8154-Proyecto-Cantenna-BELGRANO-(-por-Mandarache-)

Os reitero mis felicitaciones a la vez que os invito a visitar nuestro foro , creo que podemos unir nuestros conocimientos para interés de los aficionados al mundo del wifi.

I stand, my nick is Mandarache Supermoderador's largest Spanish-language wireless forum, I just wanted to congratulate Mr. Penguin for their excellent review, much like what we like on our forum:

http://www.zero13wireless.net/foro/index.php

We have links to 402km with homemade antennas designed by us:

Watch this video on YouTube.

Antenna Belgrano, Belgrano Galletera, 2Ni Belgrano, Belgrano Coérnicus, etc:

http://www.zero13wireless.net/foro/showthread.php?8154-Proyecto-Cantenna-BELGRANO-(-por-Mandarache-)

I reiterate my congratulations while I invite you to visit our forum, I think we can put our knowledge to fan interest in the world of wifi.

King Regards from Spain.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Remington

Remington Well-Known Member
    VIP

I thought I'd share pics of my Kasens G9000 RTL8187L just for comparison. Pics aren't great my Samsung PL55 sucks for up close pics.
    [​IMG]

I added a copper heatsink to the 8187L chip and will put another one on the smaller chip.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. air_pull91

air_pull91 Well-Known Member

hi..
    i hope u guy are still active at this time..
    need to ask u guys..
    rt3070 - support b/g/n radio while rtl8187l - support b/g radio only?
    am i correct?