AWUS036NHR v AWUS036NH Comparison

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking Cards' started by Mr. Penguin, 11 Jul 2012.

1. TCB13

TCB13 Be great

IS SELLING! After 3 failed attempts the finally managed to develop a card great enough to replace AWUS036H.

2. mikus lockjaw

mikus lockjaw Well-Known Member

yes agreed noticed my atheros card was no longer able to properlly be picked up, seems maybe the card drivers, do work great, and the 33 is awesome, at the expense of loosing the other wireless, cards, so im not sure what the fix for this issue is, and im just not smart enough i guess to fix it, and body got ideas where we could get the full 33 yet still keep our other cards as well, perhaps a diffrent driver or driver configuration.

3. hyuga

hyuga Active Member

Hi. I am new at all stuffs. I have an AWUS036NHR. BT5 R2 (32 or 64bit KDE) knows my adaptor, it seems injection is ok but its not. It is very unstable. I have never seen % 100. So I cant get data... Is there any solution about it ?

4. Pascal

Pascal Wifi Sniffer
    Staff Member Moderator VIP

Use Backtrack 5 R2 Gnome 64 for Alfa AWUS 036 NHR

Or

http://hezik.nl/alfa-awus036nhr-chip-rtl8188ru-compat-wireless-driver-install/

http://store.rokland.com/blogs/news/3821712-alfa-awus036nhr-is-backtrack-5-linux-compatible

For exemple...

If you don't know...

Use this : http://lmgtfy.com/?q=AWUS036NHR+Backtrack

And for translation : http://translate.google.fr/

;) ;) ;)

5. hyuga

hyuga Active Member

Thank you Pascal. I will try Backtrack 5 R2 Gnome 64.

6. botking

botking Active Member

i dont understand??
    1. Buy AWUS036H (legacy gray) if you don't care about "n" compatibly.
    2. Buy AWUS036NHA (black one) if you care about "n" and you want to have a useful card for the future!
    H for compatibly, but how about the range?
    NHA usefull for future mean all future's hack can be supported?

7. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

Ok, the H would have much better range, although no one has made a direct comparison. If someone has these two cards it would be great to see how they perform side by side.

What he means is that the H is very old and does not work with new OSs and there are no 64bit drivers. So you are getting something newer with the NHA in the hope that it will be supported well into the future.

8. DCLXVI

DCLXVI Member

As you probably know, Alfa Awus 036 NHR work perfectly with new release BT i.e. BackTrack 5R3. Monitoring mode and packet injection works!
    NIC is superior because of new chipset RT 8188RU. Many thanks to the gentlemans behind of BackTrack :)

DCLXVI , Belgrade - Serbia

9. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

Nope I did not know this, great news for RTL8188RU users that packet injection and monitor mode works well in BackTrack 5R3 :)

10. bacterialbag

bacterialbag Active Member

I have a question about the awus036nha, maybe TCB13 can answer:

How is the range compared to the other awus036 cards? since it is only running on 650mw?
    Is the range and AP detection better then the 036H? (i already own that one, and my NHR picks up FAR FAR more AP's)
    Is it true that the NHR picks up most networks / best range? since it is 2w ?
    I am trying to get my NHR to function properly for ages, but if range/ap detection difference with the NHA is neglectable, I might sell the NHR to get NHA.

PS: Please take a look about my topic about how to get the NHR working properly, really appreciate!

• Like Like x 1
  11. TCB13

TCB13 Be great

36H is that card we can trust our lives. You know how it works, reliable, cheap and cool. Regarding to other cards, I can say that I like the NHA very much and it didn't disappointed me... actually it was better than my expectations.

I think that gradually drivers for NH/NHR will disappear. The truth is that NHR can have a great output power and all it have driver issues and the hardware is not so reliable as H or NHA. One of my friends made a lot of tests with the NHR in full power (illegal) mode and the performance is not that great as Alfa advertised.

Anyway, most of the time we stay under RF legal limits, so you won't be able to use your card in full power 2W (33dbm) unless you change your region to Bolivia... You're most likely use the card up to 500mW (27dbm). So you won't notice any difference with the NHA. My current advice (provided as is) is to go for NHA because I've tested the card and the hardware is very stable at the level of the standard H card.

It's possible that Alfa will make a revision of the NHA in the future in order to improve the output power but I'm not 100% sure if this is possible. They would need to work on the final stage of the signal processing to avoid messing/changing the wireless chip. ==> This changes would increase the cost of the card a lot.

• Like Like x 3
  12. bacterialbag

bacterialbag Active Member

The thing is I actually improve my TX output when using my card. When comparing the NHR with the NHA, does the NHR show more networks? (at 30db?). Because I bought the NHR, and I am amazed by how much more AP's show up then when using the Awus036H. I would like to know how it is compared to the NHA.

13. TCB13

TCB13 Be great

Depends in your antenna. One thing you can be sure of... NHA is much more stable, once you get connected even if the signal is low it will keep connected and working. NHR can fail sometimes.

With big antennas NHR could be the right choice because it has more output power.

14. Crackerz Wave

Crackerz Wave The Dictator

TCB13 u have all right? why u everyday use nh, not awus036h or nha

15. TCB13

TCB13 Be great

For the last time, I'm currently using AWUS036H and AWUS036NHA as my daily cards.

16. wrk13s

wrk13s Active Member

finally i been looking for a guide like this to help with narrowing down the reasons as why i should by a particular card not just follow the crowds and masses, this is really healpfull.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jony101

jony101 Well-Known Member

I own the alfa36h, the alfa36neh, and also the alfa36nhr, all 3 work on xiapan os for me. I actually own 2 36nhr and notice that both lose reception strength over time. The first 36nhr after a year picks maybe 5 stations all weak 1/2 bar, my second 36nhr after 6 months I can still pickup 20 stations but many are very weak. Out the box performance was great with 4/5 bars and connections good.
    Right now my prefer card is the alfa36neh because it does connect me most of the times. I suspect the 36nhr have some sort of quality issues and seen people on YouTube actually do solder repairs on those cards. The card does have potential and actually once connected stays connected unlike the other cards which can disconnect intermittently.
    I always use a cantenna for best reception and that doesn't seem to help the 36nhr once it starts to lose sensitivity.
    I'll have to get a 36nha and see how it performs to the other cards, right now I'm particularly happy with any of the 3 cards I have, they all have shortcomings but they are better than my laptops internal card.
    While transmit power might seem important, I suspect using a powerful enough antenna might overcome any disadvantages on a lower power card.

• Like Like x 1
  18. anapospastos

anapospastos Member

Hello guys. I m thinking get one of these alfas for my house balcony setup. I'm between nhr and nha. The first has a great 2w tx but some people talk about instability and cutting of support in the near feature. From the other hand, nha has a great future and is stable enough with the atheros cheap but it has only 650 mw power. When I get a decision between the 2, I hope you can help me with that, I consider a very good choice to use this 15dbi antenna with my alfa. Also, my connection setup will be a 10m active usb cable. Soo, what do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Helio silva

Helio silva Member

not for me. i got blacktrack 5 r3 on VMplayer but dosnt work on monitor mode :s
    --- Double Post Merged, 25 Dec 2012 ---
    not for me. i got blacktrack 5 r3 on VMplayer but dosnt work on monitor mode :s

20. badpassword

badpassword Active Member

The real problem with the NHR seems to be not being able to associate with APs. So, while injection is wonderful in BT3r3 out of the box I end up using the NHA or H in Backtrack for simply connecting and browsing.