AWUS036NHR v AWUS036NH Comparison

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking Cards' started by Mr. Penguin, 11 Jul 2012.

1. Remington

Remington Well-Known Member
    VIP

I don't recommend the NHA because it is by far the weakest card I have owned even when connected to a 14dbi antenna. I was completely unusable unless the router was within 100ft. The NHR was OK but lasted less than 1 year. The NH was very strong didn't use it with BT5. My current Kasens G9000 8187L is great so far and only cost $19 shipped to my door. I'd get the H if you want an ALFA.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ImJoJo

ImJoJo The One & Only
    VIP

I have tried many adapters and specially ones with the RTL8187L and 3070 chipset in them. I have gotten poor results from 3070. Huge problem when it come to associating. You have to be really close to the AP in order for it to associate. With the RTL8187L..piece of cake...no problems at all..when it comes to signal reception and quality the 3070 picks up more signals but are very low and RTL8187L pick up less signals but all with good quality...I would say the original ALFA AWUS036H with RTL8187L is the best choice...:D

3. badpassword

badpassword Active Member

This is exactly my situation as well. I guess we just hold out for new drivers and keep the 36H close for the time being.

4. Rich69

Rich69 Member

5. Remington

VIP

The only way to know is for you to check the hologram. For $35 + shipping it better be. I bought my NHA for $32 then promptly sold it for $40.

6. air_pull91

air_pull91 Well-Known Member

hi..
    i just buy Alfa Awus036NHA..
    waiting for it to arrived..
    could anyone conclude which version is better between all those AWUS036xxx version?

7. Remington

VIP

Well it certainly wouldn't be the NHA but you have already bought it. I wouldn't buy a ALFA again anyway but I'd get a RTL8187L adapter.

8. air_pull91

air_pull91 Well-Known Member

Remington..
    which one adapter would u buy?
    can give suggesstion..
    is that mean RTL8187 got no issued at all when i use reaver for bruteforce?
    --- Double Post Merged, 6 Feb 2013 ---
    hey...
    i would say Alfa AWUS036NHA is the best wifi adapter i ever used..
    eventhough i got 2 bar..it say connected at highest speed 54mbps..never dropped!:):):):):)

9. Remington

VIP

All the ALFA's have already been tested with results shown and recommendations given in this thread. Should be enough info here on these 3 pages to make a choice.

10. jem

jem Member

can
    can u please give me the link ??
    i would like to update my driver , it is :censored crazy actually
    i got an SSID the security type is wpa/wpa2 then it change to wep then it change :censored to fuckin' :censored wpa with WPS , :censored this wireless card , i would like to buy new wireless card like the 8187L ralonk 3070 is worst ......!!!
    if this thing really good , can u please give the link ????
    ibegging!!??

11. Remington

VIP

12. Fantasma

Fantasma Well-Known Member

Ok, so friendly but...

Is so difficult type in GOOGLE " Ralink drivers " without quotes?
    --- Double Post Merged, 6 Feb 2013, Original Post Date: 6 Feb 2013 ---
    Maybe Crackerz Wave can help you with this... ;)

13. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

14. Crackerz Wave

Crackerz Wave The Dictator

15. Fantasma

Fantasma Well-Known Member

Good idea but... maybe by P.M?

16. Crackerz Wave

Crackerz Wave The Dictator

usually when i said give me the mac..usually they will PM :p

17. Sebastian

Sebastian Member

First post but long time reader of this forum.. great source of info.. My special thanks to Mr Penguin and Pascal for being so active and helpful on the forums.

Info: Using ALFA 036NHR on BT5R3 32bit GNOME VMWare 9 and BT5R3 GNOME 64bit HDD install. I'm mostly interested in LAN auditing (such as performing MitM attacks and analysing packets, for which I must connect and be able to inject. So far I've only been able to inject well with Beini 1.2.4 (I've tried 1.2.3 but for some reason I can't get the card injecting, and Xiaopan 0.4.1 which works very slowly).

Short-form questions:
    1) Is there any way of raising power on Beini 1.2.4 for an ALFA 036NHR (rtl8192cu driver) over 20dBm? Bear in mind the 20dBm limit is driver-constrained.
    2) Is there any way of porting the x_rtl8188cu_20110812.tce package to BackTrack? Or at least knowing what changes were made to the original (or compat) driver in order to replicate it and add it to BT?
    3) Is it possible to disable N modulation mode by making changes on the driver sources? (iwconfig wlan0 modu is not supported). Someone already pointed out here on the forums that the 036NHR is able to perform well injection and connect to APs while not working on N mode. On top of that the urtwn driver devs state the same thing, works well but without N mode. Thus, giving me reason to think changing this could help.

Problems on BT5R3:
    1) Getting 'Bad Password' when connecting to an AP
    2) aireplay-ng -9 -i mon0 wlan1 shows everything working. However, when cracking my target WEP AP I get 0 ARP requests, 0 ACK and 0 packets sent
    3) Does not show associated clients
    4) Low RXQ readings

What I've tried so far:
    - Countless patches from Larry Finger (8192 driver dev for compat releases???)
    - Injection patches from aircrack-ng website and Mathy Vanhoef
    - Compat versions 2.6.xx (2 of them suggested on BT website), 3.6.8-1snp, 3.6.2-1-snp, 3.8-1-u and 3.9-rc4

I'm left with trying on a different version of BT such as R2. Doubt it will make any difference though.

18. XZi

XZi Guest

Does anyone else think the 36H 8187L windows drivers are crappy? Seems to inflate the signal strength and disconnect often.

I find the 36NHR performs great in OS X but not so good in Windows.

19. ImJoJo

ImJoJo The One & Only
    VIP

are you far from the AP? it tends to happen if the signal is low

20. Sebastian

Sebastian Member

ImJoJo, thanks for the reply. No, I'm like 1m from the AP :). I think it's worth adding though, I'm not a noob. Not that anyone is saying I am, just I know atm it's very difficult to get the device working properly if at all. I'll be trying out on other distros and then posting my findings here.

Also, card to card injection as tested by aireplay does fail. I think I just had the monitor mode up on the another chip which is an atheros so sorry for the mistake there.

I'm very interested btw in disabling N mode if anyone knows how?