Install ALFA AWUS036H on iMac

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking Cards' started by rempit, 4 Jan 2013.

1. rempit

rempit Well-Known Member
    VIP

Hi all, I recently do my work on an iMac OSX10.6.8 machine away from home and FYI before this I was 95% PC Windows User, meaning that I am not that familiar with iMac.

I brought together my ALFA AWUS036H to my new work place, downloaded the ALFA driver(for MAC) from ALFA.com.tw and then I installed it on the iMac.

After installation completed, what shall I do ?

I need help at this stage, thanks :)

2. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

You need to install the latest version of the utility from realtek and boot into 32bit mode.

Watch this video on YouTube.

If your Mac uses the 64-bit kernel by default, you can start up with the 32-bit kernel by holding the 3 and 2 keys during startup.

To select the 32-bit kernel for the current startup disk, use the following command in Terminal:

Code:
    Select All
    sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386
    More info: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3773

• Like Like x 1
  3. rempit

rempit Well-Known Member
    VIP

MrPenguin, thanks for quick reply.
    I forgot to say, I only want to install the ALFA AWUS036H as a wifi signals receiver because the internal iMac wifi is so weak that I cannot even receive the nearby signals.

My plan is to install this ALFA AWUS036H and with a long powerful antenna for receiving more wifi signals, that's all I need.

But the thing is that, now after installation completed, restarted twice, I clicked the icon of the Realtek (blue color icon inside the Applications folder) and nothing at all pops out, and I don't know what to do now...:)

4. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

Have a look in system preferences > Network and see if the device is installed,it might say found new network device.
    If not
    check your running in 32bit mode,in a terminal window try
    Code:
    Select All
    uname -a
    also to check if the driver is loaded in terminal try
    Code:
    Select All
    kextstat -l
    sorry can't remember the name of the drive probably rtl something.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rempit

rempit Well-Known Member
    VIP

Thank meknb, I will try it again on Tuesday, let you know if it works or not...:)
    --- Double Post Merged, 17 Jan 2013 ---
    MrPenguin and meknb, I finally made it on my iMAC....YES!!

Phew!...I now realized in MAC you need to setup the ALFA AWUS036H RTL8187L driver through the Terminal, SET PASSWORD and with all those "magicwords", overall took me 2 weeks to figure it out....:( :confused: