MediaTek / Ralink MT7601U

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking Cards' started by r1sen, 7 Apr 2018.

1. r1sen

r1sen Mod
    Staff Member Moderator Dev Team VIP

My opinion:

We've all used and tested the traditional cards and/or chipsets - RTL8188, RTL8191, RTL8192, RTL8811, RTL8812, RT2870, RT3070, RT5370, AR9271 - and so on. So I picked up a little generic USB2.0 micro WiFi adapter, mostly because it had a removable SMA antenna but also because it had this Ralink MT7601U chipset. So for anyone on a budget, or tired of fake Alfa gear, or just experimenting with different gear this is my thought on it:

Pro:

- This device came with a built in SMA antenna connector.

Pro:

- Instantly identified as "Ralink MT7601U" in TInyPaw which I tested it in. No additional firmware has been compiled or installed other then what is available from the TCL repo.

Pro:

- It's rate of packet, data and hs collection is faster then both of my RTL8192CU, RT2870/3070 devices

Con:

- Due to its compact design and lack of transmission/reception capacity this device covers about 50% of the range of my 2000Mw RT2870/3070. That said, a more capable device with the MT7601U chipset would certainly be decent.

Con:

- To achieve 50% of the coverage of my RT2870/3070 I removed the included 3dbi SMA antenna and attached the Afla SMA magnetic antenna base with a 9dbi antenna - to be able to achieve roughly half of the coverage area of the above device using a standard 3dbi antenna.

Pro:

- Using the Alfa SMA base and the 9dbi this device and chipset maintained a further coverage area as well as a faster rate of collection then my TP-Link device with the RTL8192CU chipset.

Final thought:

The Ralink MT7601U chipset in my opinion is a fairly decent alternative to more common chipsets. That being said, unless you are very close in proximity to your AP, or using amplification equipment then certainly consider the actual device type using this chipset. I personally think this chipset is more capable then the RT2870/3070 chipset using the rt2800usb driver - but like I said with this particular micro devices lack of power output its wide area transmission/reception is definitely noticeable.

I would recommend the chipset, if for nothing else then at least an addition to your collection or an alternative to test with. I would not recommend this chipset within a micro usb wifi device.

Tested:

Screenshot_TinyPaw-v1.1.1_2018-04-07_08:55:48.png Screenshot_TinyPaw-v1.1.1_2018-04-07_08:56:41.png Screenshot_TinyPaw-v1.1.1_2018-04-07_08:59:45.png

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. niko nikic

niko nikic Well-Known Member

@r1sen hi tell me, I have MT7601U card, can I use your tiny paw distribution to capture PMKID? Does your distribution have all hcx tools installed. I want to use your distribution offline with no internet connection. Is it possible to capture PMKID without installing any additional stuff? Thanks :)

3. r1sen

r1sen Mod

@niko nikic

Hi there, thanks for the interest.

Short answer is yes and no - yes wifite2 and hcxtools but unfortunately at this time the current and past builds of TinyPaw are 32bit x86 architecture which openCL (ocl) requires 64bit CPU instructions / architecture so no ocl-hashcat at this time. Currently TinyPaw has a modified wifite2 which will bypass the requirement of ocl-hashcat and perform pmkid attack and generate .16800 file in /home/tc/hs folder. Unfortunately you would need to transfer pmkid capture to a different platform to use ocl-hashcat. At this time TinyPaw only has hashcat 2 - CPU crack with no GPU support.

4. niko nikic

Yea that was my plan, I only use oclHashcat on windows or I upload here. I only need .16800 files.

5. r1sen

r1sen Mod

Then yes lol glad we're on the same page here lol - yes if distance and signal strength are optimal for pmkid capture the .16800 file will be generated after hcx conversion in the "/home/tc/have/" directory.

6. niko nikic

Thanks, I was using xiaopan os long time ago but seems it is not updated anymore so tiny paw looks like good successor. :)

7. r1sen

r1sen Mod

Ah definitely was the inspiration behind. Thanks for the nice words :) always good to hear lol

8. r1sen

r1sen Mod

My "release cycle" has been pretty random it would seem but project is certainly under continuous development