Issue RT2870 Fails to Scan for APs in Xiaopan 0.4.2.2 (Live USB)

Discussion in 'Xiaopan Support' started by J Greers, 28 Jun 2012.

1. J Greers

J Greers Member

What is the Issue?

Apologies if this has been asked already. I am a budding network penetration bod and wish to look at both this field and that of linux development in the near future. However for the moment I am a bit of a noob (understating my situation). Is it possible to include a driver for a RT2870 chipset in the next release that works with Reaver? At the moment the stock driver seems to work fine for most applications in Xiaopan it just fails when I try to scan for APs in inflator (unless -c is specified to ignore errors) and if a session is begun (either in inflator after using the ignore error switch or through minidwep) it seems to have all manner of issues when negotiating with networks during the process. I have read that compat drivers has solved the issue for some but I am such a n00b I have no clue how to activate these drivers in any stock version of Xiaopan! Hope that Ive managed to explain myself even with my limited vocabulary on this subject.

All the best, James

Ultimately, What are you trying to achieve?:
    Hack WPS with Reaver and Inflator

What is your wireless device model?:
    RT2870

USB or Internal Device?:
    USB

How are you using it?:
    I am using Xiaopan as a LiveUSB

Operating System:
    Windows

If you used a Live CD or USB How did you create it?:
    Universal Linux USB Creator

What version:
    Xiaopan 0.4.2.2

2. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

Unfortunately we have not got much feedback on this card as of late. It is my understanding that the compat-wireless drivers for Ralink's 2XXX and 3XXX have some conflicts with Atheros based cards.

Questions
    Can you find out if your device is fully supported by Reaver?
    What other versions have you tried and have you had issues with those as well?
    Is injection working?

Here are some threads might shed some light on your issue:

Resources
    Atheros & Ralink Conflicts in Beini
    Loading Drivers Manually in Xiaopan (Example)

3. meknb

meknb Mod
    Moderator Dev Team VIP

Which driver is being loaded for your card lsmod will tell you what ones are loaded.
    I'm not 100% sure but i think you want is rt5370sta
    As mr penguin said test injection aireplay-ng -9 is always the first check if injection doesnt work you probably got the wrong driver loaded.

4. J Greers

J Greers Member

Hi! Thanks for your quick replies! According to their support it's not, not supported if you know what I mean (not identified as yet as a particular issue?). Must admit I've not tried much packet injection but as it manages to go into monitor mode and send deauth packets I was assuming that injection is supported by the device and the driver (?). Funny thing is it just seems to be reaver/ inflator where the issues seem to occur. I've tried Backtrack 5 r2 (again stock drivers) it works fine until I try to use Reaver when the same issues seem to crop up.

I will read the links you've sent (thanks for those) and try meknbs suggestions (thanks for those meknbs) and try and find out more and get back to you.

Kind regards,
    James.

5. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

Works ok with the firmware.tcz extension loaded for Ralink 2860 devices. Can anyone supply the rt5370sta.ko file?

Have you tried scanning for APs with Minidwep version of Reaver? Many people have had issues with scanning for APs because of a wash (formally walsh) issue.

The following commands may assist you further.

Load Driver Manually
    Code:
    Select All
    sudo modprobe rt5370sta
    What is the output of the following commands?
    Code:
    Select All
    lsmod iwconfig rfkill list All
    Blacklisting Potential Driver Conflicts
    Code:
    Select All
    blacklist rt2800usb blacklist rt2x00lib blacklist rt2x00usb blacklist rt2870sta
    Give Info About Interface
    Code:
    Select All
    iwconfig
    Compiling (if needed or possible)
    Code:
    Select All
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 down sudo rmmod -f rt2870sta sudo modprobe rt5370sta sudo ifconfig wlan0
    Injection Test
    Code:
    Select All
    aireplay-ng -9 wlan0
    Device Details
    Code:
    Select All
    ifconfig wlan0
    Airodump Scan
    Code:
    Select All
    sudo airodump-ng wlan0
    Initiating Device & Monitor Mode
    Code:
    Select All
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 sudo ifconfig wlan0 down sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor sudo ifconfig wlan0 up sudo iwconfig wlan0 sudo airodump-ng wlan0 sleep 30

6. J Greers

J Greers Member

Hi all! I've been fiddling with it and so far injection seems to be working fine (aireplay-ng -9) but the interface won't seem to associate in reaver. Hmm it's odd I will try loading compat drivers (by first learning how to load drivers from scratch) and will get back to you all. Thanks to all for your help so far!

7. Mr. Penguin

Staff Member VIP Admin

8. Crackerz Wave

Crackerz Wave The Dictator

i think u r right cause i can find ap in minidwep but the resulti is the sam.....trying pin............. cannot associated with...............

9. J Greers

J Greers Member

Hi, sorry for taking so long to get back to y'all I've been busy with work! The interface is definately using the 2800 and 2x00 modules which have been reported to Cause some issues in Linux when using the 2870.

Trying to blacklist the 2800 and 2x00 driver, what file am I supposed to be editing to do so and where is it located in Xiaopan?

Kind regards,
    James

10. Alejandro Fabre

Alejandro Fabre Well-Known Member

I have the same issue using Reaver and BT 5 R2 or Reaver and Xiaopan 0.4.2 english version