The Small Ubuntu Distro U Can Build From...

Discussion in 'Development Team' started by hazz death, 29 Jul 2012.

1. hazz death

hazz death Well-Known Member
    Dev Team VIP

For some time i've been trying a few linux distro out there, some realy small, some are so beautiful, some of it is realy challenging to set up and some of it is realy familiar to use.. as in my journey i've look that, there are lots of distro are cooked from ubuntu, for example, Bakctrack 5, Linux Mint Debian Edition, Lubuntu and so on.. and i think this is realy a good, if it has a common characteristic, it will be easy to ask for support.. so i ask myself, can i made a distro based on ubuntu too? where do i need to start? what i need?

I come across to every ubuntu forum, thread, and so on, no luck.. then i give up, mybe i should start fresh.. so, i wonder what is the fresh start of ubuntu? what is the base? and what will it size would be? So, i found out that the smallest ubuntu i can start is Ubuntu Mini Remix , which is just 180MB , which u can burn to usb, but it feature only the busybox.. so u need to edit it with some other tool called Ubuntu Customization KIt (UCK) , Customzer, or any other tool that mybe has a same purpose..

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Administrator
    Staff Member VIP Admin

I think you really need to start with Ubuntu, I noticed in the Gnome version of BT 5 R2 that it has the Ubuntu logo in some of the different themes.

I think they just use remastersys to turn it into BackTrack. One of the reasons why it is so bloated :D

Resource
    MinimalCD

I think it might be easier to work top -> down, rather than bottom -> up in size, you would learn a lot less, but you would have the least headaches :D

3. hazz death

Dev Team VIP

yup, and i read from their official site, they are using ubuntu as their base start from bakctrack 5... thats why its different if u read it from wikipedia..
    yeah, its so hard to build from the basic, futhermore i'm less with programming knowledge..hmm.. but, i've learn something from this...
    ubuntu use lockscreen which is called "unity-greeter" , and the ubuntu installer is called "ubiquity"... i still didnt know what is "xserver-xorg" still but, this thing is realy interesting.. i'll try another approches.. now from top to bottom :) thanks

4. Crackerz Wave

Crackerz Wave The Dictator

woa.....congrat hazz death, if xiaopan has turn to ubuntu that mean more compat wireless and more usefull command, keep the good work

• Like Like x 1
  5. hazz death

Dev Team VIP

actualy if u know how to program the compat driver part, mybe u can make it work for tiny core linux version.. and mybe i just not realy familiar with aircrack ccommand so i didnt realy now how to implement it into tcl... but i think it would be similar with ubuntu..

and the minimal.iso is good, and so small, but its look like the basic of ubuntu mini remix.. and looks harder for me to tweak it..

6. tyroniuz

tyroniuz New Member

I agree with the top down myself - its much easier to *hack* away at the boot screens etc later than it is to fix broken packages that dont agree on one thing or another... @ Hazz - this might give a little better idea on the Xorg stuff - just video stuff :) http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/